Ugly Betty -- "The Box and the Bunny" -- 10/05/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Ugly Betty -- "The Box and the Bunny" -- 10/05/06

"The Box and the Bunny"
Spoiler:
Betty loses a proof of the entire magazine, including photos of an actress (Sarah Jones) that would create embarrassment for the magazine if they get out.

Cast: America Ferrera, Eric Mabius, Alan Dale, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Ashley Jensen, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Vanessa Williams, Michael Urie, Kevin Sussman, Elizabeth Penn Payne, Sarah Jones, Stelio Savante, Ava Gaudet , Cicely Daniels .
Director(s): Sheree Folkson.
Producer(s): Silvio Horta, Ben Silverman, Salma Hayek, Jose Tamez.
Writer(s): Silvio Horta.

Original Airdate: October 5, 2006.
Old 10-05-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poor bunny of hers. is she going to quit every episode?

show was pretty good i thought.
Old 10-06-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the episode but I agree that it will get tired really quickly if she's in danger of quitting or getting fired every episode. I like how they are using real telenovela stars as actors for the soap opera that her father watches on TV. This week they used Marlene Favela and Sebastian Rulli.

Best line for me was "Hey, empanada girl".

Last edited by LorenzoL; 10-06-06 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the first episode a lot more than this one. The mysterious villian is too much to take. If the plot doesn't improve next week I think I'll drop the show. I think it might actually be better as a half hour sitcom.
Old 10-06-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Roto
I liked the first episode a lot more than this one. The mysterious villian is too much to take. If the plot doesn't improve next week I think I'll drop the show. I think it might actually be better as a half hour sitcom.
See also: Just Shoot Me, Less Than Perfect.
Old 10-06-06, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roto
If you think that the mysterious villain is too much to take, I think it will be easier for you to drop the show now, since I predict that the future storylines will get even sillier and over the top. My reasoning is that the writers and producers are modeling it (no pun intended) exactly like a traditional "telenovela" with a few exceptions.

For those not familiar with what telenovelas are and the characteristics of it including the over the top villains, here is a little info from wikipedia:

A telenovela is the term used to describe limited-run television serials and is derived from the terms tele short for television and novela ("novel"). In spite of their many differences, telenovelas are in ways, soap operas in mini-series format with an origin in Spanish and Portuguese broadcasting. While most English-language soap operas can potentially continue indefinitely - often only concluding when the show had been cancelled by its producers for business reasons such as declining ratings - most telenovelas run for a pre-determined duration, but there are some long-running exceptions.

One of the most common complaints are that telenovelas are not representative of the actual racial makeup of the country where they are produced. Most telenovelas, no matter where they are from, tend to have white, blond, blue-eyed stars. Whenever an "ethnic" looking person appears, usually they are of lower class and hold jobs such as janitors, reserving all the higher-class jobs for the lightest-skinned actors.

The stereotypical telenovela aimed at the working class, which explains their worldwide popularity—they are easy to understand and appropriate family viewing. The plots are often based on stories about a poor girl who falls in love with a rich man whose family spurns her.

A popular plot is that of a poor, beautiful girl that meets a rich and handsome guy. He breaks up with his rich, evil and frivolous girlfriend to be with the heroine, at first to simply annoy his rich and callous relatives, but eventually falling in love because of her kind, caring heart and beautiful soul. The evil ex-girlfriend (usually accompanied by the rich guy's mother, sister or other close relative) stands in their way to happiness. Sometimes the struggle is ethnic (such as in Gitanas and Yesenia with Gypsies, or in María Isabel with people of indigenous origin). A popular plot twist is also the discovery of the real father or mother of the poor heroine, who almost always turns out to be incredibly wealthy. The story usually ends with the villains meeting spectacularly violent, gruesome, painful and gory end and the two heroes end up getting married and with a child, sometimes, even twins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenovela

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
See also: Just Shoot Me, Less Than Perfect.
Wrong comparison. The only common link that both of the above shows have is that they were set in a fashion industry setting. At least "Just Shoot Me" was since I never watched "Less Than Perfect" nor did I care for it.
Old 10-06-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really am enjoying the tone of this show. It reminds me of the first season of Desperate Housewives. I like the mixture of light-hearted drama, comedy, and mystery.
Old 10-06-06, 09:46 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto. Glad they dropped the sentimental mush from the pilot. BIG improvement! But unless they turn the weekly layoff into more of a running gag, they need to drop it ... now.
Old 10-06-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I really am enjoying the tone of this show. It reminds me of the first season of Desperate Housewives. I like the mixture of light-hearted drama, comedy, and mystery.
I'd agree. On the other hand her job constantly being in jeopardy will get old very soon. I think the fact that almost everyone else in the office dislikes her provides enough tension. The family is great so hopefully we'll continue to see more of them as well.
Old 10-06-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Wrong comparison. The only common link that both of the above shows have is that they were set in a fashion industry setting. At least "Just Shoot Me" was since I never watched "Less Than Perfect" nor did I care for it.
I was riffing on the 30 minute format suggestion and the obvious plot comparisons to the two shows. JSM essentially just fused the Betty character with her boss while LTP was about an assistant working in the equally shallow TV business who was a lot like Betty.
Old 10-06-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was riffing on the 30 minute format suggestion and the obvious plot comparisons to the two shows. JSM essentially just fused the Betty character with her boss while LTP was about an assistant working in the equally shallow TV business who was a lot like Betty.
You may find that it has similarities with JSM and LTP but I think is just pure coincidence since this show is an American remake of the Colombian soap opera of the same name. In regards to why is this show an hour, probably because as I indicated earlier, it follows the telenovela format which is an hour long.
Old 10-06-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You may find that it has similarities with JSM and LTP but I think is just pure coincidence since this show is an American remake of the Colombian soap opera of the same name. In regards to why is this show an hour, probably because as I indicated earlier, it follows the telenovela format which is an hour long.
I rather doubt it's pure coincidence. Looking at the dates on the programs, I think it's likely that the Yo Soy Betty La Fea folks had seen or were aware of JSM while the LTP folks had seen or were aware of YSBLF.
Old 10-06-06, 05:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought it was a good episode. I'm enjoying the stories at home more than at work.
Old 10-06-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rather doubt it's pure coincidence. Looking at the dates on the programs, I think it's likely that the Yo Soy Betty La Fea folks had seen or were aware of JSM while the LTP folks had seen or were aware of YSBLF.
Yeah, because we all know that JSM and LTP were the models of what a perfect sitcom should be.

Anyways, I see the original concept of Ugly Betty as a twist to the traditional telenovela plot and you see it as copying two American sitcoms. In fairness, I wasn't the creator of the show so I don't know what was their inspiration for the show or who they were trying to copy. I like the show for what it is (lighthearted, silly and over the top storylines and outrageous characters) telenovela style while is obvious that you dislike the show which you are entitled too.
Old 10-06-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched it. Its already kind of getting tiresome.
Old 10-06-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, because we all know that JSM and LTP were the models of what a perfect sitcom should be.

Anyways, I see the original concept of Ugly Betty as a twist to the traditional telenovela plot and you see it as copying two American sitcoms. In fairness, I wasn't the creator of the show so I don't know what was their inspiration for the show or who they were trying to copy. I like the show for what it is (lighthearted, silly and over the top storylines and outrageous characters) telenovela style while is obvious that you dislike the show which you are entitled too.
What I see isn't that at all. I think that somebody needed to make a new show down in Colombia or wherever it's from and drew inspiration from JSM. I think ABC needed a new sitcom a little later and drew inspiration from the telenovella. The formats are different, but the themes are quite similar. Would you suggest that The Office (UK) and The Office (US) are nothing alike because their formats are different (limited series versus continuing series)?

At any rate, the remark was just a play on somebody suggesting this should have been in sitcom format.
Old 10-07-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Before I say anything about this show, I just want to say that I think Jimmy James is giving Just Shoot Me WAY too much credit.

Anyway, I don't think I liked this ep more than the pilot but I still really enjoyed it. I'm from deep South Texas, so I've grown up with friends or parents of friends watching telenovelas and am familiar with the format. For that reason, I understand the need to insert the mysterious villain into the mix, but I think it's the least interesting part of the show, at least at this point.

As for the complaints about her quitting/getting fired every episode, this is only the second ep! She's still very new to the position, the first issue with the new editor hasn't even come out yet. I seriously doubt this will be an every episode thing once she gets more used to her job.
Old 10-07-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Before I say anything about this show, I just want to say that I think Jimmy James is giving Just Shoot Me WAY too much credit.
It just appears that way because of the limited scope of this disucssion. I don't think JSM was the one brilliant new idea in the history of time. It is in fact very much a derivative work. My points are that:

1) If this were a sitcom, it would be quite similar to not one but two other recent US sitcoms.
2) There is no such thing as a new idea.
3) While the general public doesn't watch much foreign TV, you have to know that people in search of concepts are in fact watching what works in other places. Why reinvent the wheel when you can borrow a concept from a foreign production your audience hasn't ever seen?
Old 10-07-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I'm just going based on your comments in this limited discussion, as you call it. It was you who said, "I think that somebody needed to make a new show down in Colombia or wherever it's from and drew inspiration from JSM."

Let's be honest, I don't think too many people, if any, drew inspiration from Just Shoot Me, at least not enough to make a show inspired in it. As it is, you have since said Just Shoot Me was very derivative, so why would you assume that it was the inspiring show and not something else, like another telenovela? I agree with you that producers look to other areas to see what works, nearly every game show on prime time right now originated from somewhere else, but Just Shoot Me wasn't exactly a ratings bonanza. Why look at that and say, "That's something we should do?"

And I don't really see much of any similarity between Ugly Betty and Just Shoot Me and Less Than Perfect. The ONLY thing that I can see is that Less Than Perfect had a lead actress who wasn't your typical hot model type. The tone of Ugly Betty is much different from any of those, and it's too easy to say that they would be similar if Ugly Betty were a sitcom. The fact is, it's not, so how can we really accurately presume what it would be if it were?
Old 10-07-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How much weight did America Ferrara lose between the pilot and the 2nd episode?

The background music is fast becoming intrusive foreground music, and it's just getting to be too much for my taste. It's like the fake laugh track that is supposed to tell the audience when to laugh.
Old 10-08-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
i like the show alittle.
enough to give it a couple more watches.

i dont like the music.
to intrusive and makes the show seem corny , cornier then it already is.
Old 10-08-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone see Fred Armisen as "Fugly Betsy" on SNL last night? It was really funny.
Old 10-11-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Anyone see Fred Armisen as "Fugly Betsy" on SNL last night? It was really funny.
One of the few highlights of that episode.