The Nine *Series Premiere* -- "Pilot" -- 10/04/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Nine *Series Premiere* -- "Pilot" -- 10/04/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 08:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I thought it was decent. Was Tim Daly's eyes comment to the bank teller a subtle reference to his previous show?
Old 10-05-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I was intrigued. Seems like it will be a good character drama. I think they did a good job of introducting the characters and the release scene to really turn our heads. I'm in for the next few episodes.
Old 10-05-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I was totally bored out of my mind watching this. Maybe it was due to the fact that Lost's lead in episode was rather good. Probably won't give this another shot.
Old 10-05-06, 10:10 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know I dropped CSI NY for this show, now I think I made a mistake with Kidnapped being canceled I should have dropped that show. I liked what I saw, the show does have potential how are they going to stretch the show out more than maybe one season though.
Old 10-05-06, 10:34 AM

I liked the show enough to keep watching it. But I hope they do not drag what happened in those 50 hours over 3 or 4 seasons. And hopefully, the show will pay off with some really dramatic storyline as to what happened in those 50 hours. I mean those hostages looked so traumatized and nothing short of some extraordinary happenings in those 50 hours could explain that kind of trauma.
Old 10-05-06, 10:49 AM

Two Words: Group Orgy.
Old 10-05-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The show looks like it will take place in 3 sections. The present, the 52 hours and the past. Although the event is what brings them together, it will be the present and flashbacks that will occupy most of the story. Like others, I don't see the appeal past a season.

Why they don't just make these shows a mini-series is beyond me. Instead they stretch them out until they are as thin as Nicole Richie.
Old 10-05-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, another ABC show with an ensemble cast featuring an actor previously on 24 and one of the Salinger brothers playing a doctor.

It was alright for a start, but honestly I don't know if I can take another Lost. It's tough enough keeping up with one.
Old 10-05-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I thought it was decent. Was Tim Daly's eyes comment to the bank teller a subtle reference to his previous show?
I don't know how subtle it was, but that's what I took it for.

I'm there as long as Daly is around. How Eyes didn't make it is still a mystery to me and should be a cautionary tale to anyone checking out a show on ABC.
Old 10-05-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't know how subtle it was, but that's what I took it for.

I'm there as long as Daly is around. How Eyes didn't make it is still a mystery to me and should be a cautionary tale to anyone checking out a show on ABC.
I like Tim Daly too, and I'm still pissed about Eyes as well.

I dunno, I just think that with Lost, both the viewer and the characters are in this "WTF is going on here?" mode, whereas on The Nine the characters all know what happened but we don't. Makes it a little tougher to identify with them. Not that I'll be complaining if there are more shots of Kim Raver in her underwear.
Old 10-05-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ratings news isn't particularly great. The Nine retained something like 3/4 of LOST's audience, which was also down something like 20% from what it was at last year's debut. I think it had a couple of points advantage over Invasion. If this show slips much in the coming weeks, I'll be worried about it.
Old 10-05-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interest show, but I think it would make a great mini-series, not a year long show.

I do not think I will be watching it every week this year.
Old 10-05-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I liked it, but when I see Tim Daly, I get so infuriated that ABC cancelled Eyes (the best new show of that season) before even giving it a chance.
Old 10-05-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know Lost is an anthology series so why do the networks think we need about 10 of them now. Most of which would probably work better as limited series. How about do two limited series and put them in the same time period so when one is done the other can take it's spot.
I didnt watch this because I dont want another show that I have to keep track of every little fact and character and flashback.
Old 10-05-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I know Lost is an anthology series so why do the networks think we need about 10 of them now. Most of which would probably work better as limited series. How about do two limited series and put them in the same time period so when one is done the other can take it's spot.
I didnt watch this because I dont want another show that I have to keep track of every little fact and character and flashback.

The same copy-catting happens with all water-cooler shows.
Old 10-05-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung
I like Tim Daly too, and I'm still pissed about Eyes as well.

I dunno, I just think that with Lost, both the viewer and the characters are in this "WTF is going on here?" mode, whereas on The Nine the characters all know what happened but we don't. Makes it a little tougher to identify with them. Not that I'll be complaining if there are more shots of Kim Raver in her underwear.
I'll go back one show farther and say that I thought Tim Daly's short-lived "Fugitive" was really good. I was sorry when it got the axe.

I agree that it's hard to identify with them and I don't know if I'll have the patience to stick with it. I also thought most of the other characters were a little too shallow or 2-dimensional, but that may improve over time. I'll probably watch a few more episodes.
Old 10-05-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not going to stick with it. I realize much of the show will focus on the past, but what's funny is that now that I see how these people turn out I have no interest in how they got there. I might have with more character development, but I don't want to waste time finding out if I'll change my mind. It was just an average pilot.
Old 10-05-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The way the ratings are looking so far, shows like The Nine, Vanished, Kidnapped, etc. are going to end up being limited series anyway
Old 10-05-06, 08:58 PM

Enjoyed the show, but I'm not sure that in the long run, they will be able to keep it interesting. I guess you could say the same for Lost when it first aired.

One observation: At the very end, where the group meets at the restaraunt, the place looked alot like the same one in the beginning and end of Pulp Fiction. If so, there was once a hold up and hostages (at least for a breif period of time) there.
Old 10-06-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I'll go back one show farther and say that I thought Tim Daly's short-lived "Fugitive" was really good. I was sorry when it got the axe.
You're right, that one was pretty good as well. I wasn't sure how many people still remembered it though.
Old 10-06-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I thought it would focus soley on the hostage period. Now that I see they aren't, it makes the show more interesting for me to watch. I liked it and I'll continue to watch.
Old 10-06-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll keep watching, but it was a bit disappointing. I expected to be -- "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED IN THE BANK?!?!?!!?", but I don't feel that curious.
Old 10-06-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think someone ate a huge burrito for lunch and let one rip inside the bank...
Old 10-07-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so my dvr stopped recording right after lost was over and i didn't get this. anyone know of any plans to reair this because my connection is too slow to watch it online at abc.com.
Old 10-07-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the first episode was OK, but I don't really see anywhere for the series to go from here. There wasn't anything that made me want to tune in next week. In fact, as I was watching, I was thinking that this episode might have made for a good miniseries (with some more character development and flashbacks to the crisis), but a full season? Not for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.