Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Everwood on The WB

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Everwood on The WB

Old 09-29-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...just starting it here. I saw it already, but it's either this or a repeat of Alias over on ABC Family. This epsiode I haven't already seen three or four times.

I missed the theme the first time around...I'm really impressed with the drawings, I wonder if the pictures are computer generated or something. If those were hand-drawn, I'd be shocked, so much detail was put into those, when a screen capture would have done. Wow.
Old 09-29-02, 10:05 PM

I like the show, i think its really kool, i live in colorado and wish thier really was an Everwood, id go thier, But i dont know what thier going to base alot of plot on, the show is really kool so far but for how long?
Old 10-01-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everwood 9/30 (and 10/6)

I know this is not the most popular TV show here, but I'll post a thread again. Why not?

Thoughts? The episode was not really what I expected when I saw the previews, but that's not such a bad thing. I liked how the different plots intertwined, you don't really see that on "Gilmore Girls". That little girl is really becoming a smarter version of "Ruthie" from "7th Heaven".

Spoiler:
I don't know what to expect for the next week though...will it also follow "7th Heaven" plot-wise? It sounds so preachy, the "safe sex" episode...hopefully this will not one of those "On a very special episode..." shows.

Last edited by freedexter; 10-02-02 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 05:47 PM

I think the show is very good and interesting, dont know why but something about it draws me in, I dont think it would follow 7th heaven plot line, because it may start to get a bit boring but who knows, i think this will be a good season, its definetly a show for the Whole Family so thats why it may be headed in that direction.
Old 10-02-02, 04:14 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Tied with Ed as my favorite shows on Tv right now
Old 10-02-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I love the show and would be willing to read and post in threads. Perhaps we could keep the weeks separate. Or at least put the teasers for next week's episode in SPOILER tags?

das
Old 10-02-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe I like a WB show (other then one with trampy witches)

I'll hang to see what they do with these characters. It could be good.
Old 10-02-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>Originally posted by das Monkey battle for timeslots forced me to wait until now</small>
Heads up. They also show the episodes on Sundays on the WB's BIG Sunday. I missed the first one but caught what they are calling an Easyview of it.

5pm Smallville (Tuesdays episode the following Sunday)
6pm Everwood (Mondays episode the following Sunday)
7pm Gilmore Girls: Beginnings
8pm Charmed
9pm Angel

Old 10-02-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Hey, I love the show and would be willing to read and post in threads. Perhaps we could keep the weeks separate. Or at least put the teasers for next week's episode in SPOILER tags?

das
Sorry...wasn't thinking of the Sunday viewers. Spoiler tags added.
Old 10-03-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth freedexter <HR SIZE=1>Sorry...wasn't thinking of the Sunday viewers. Spoiler tags added. <HR SIZE=1>

No problem at all. I'm quite impressed with this show so far. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Once & Again. I never expected this to be on my "must see" list, but it's very high up there for now. Yet another reason to watch the premiere of every show. You really never know where those diamonds are lurking. Still too early to tell with this one, but it could be just that.

das
Old 10-03-02, 02:06 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

How was your day?

Pretty standard, I found out I'm in love with a girl whos in love with a guy who is in a coma.

Old 10-04-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. I'm surprised how many folks are liking this.

I found it to be incredibly cliche ridden and melodramatic.

The wealthy neurosurgeon whose wife dies and he has a "wake up call" realizing how out of touch he was, so he moves to the place she called the most beautiful she ever saw. Oh, and he talks to the dead wife and dances with her and just to make sure everyone knows she's dead we see the kid's POV of him dancing by himself!

So the good doc opens a practice and doesn't charge anyone, which annoys the town's other doctor who just happens to work right across the street! Then let's have the crusty motorcycle riding grandma go to work for the good doctor. And she turns out to be the other doctor's mom! Not much of a cliche there and something nobody saw coming.

The good doc's son falls for the bad doc's daughter (didn't see that a mile away) but wait... she's in love with a boy in a coma and her dad's the only guy that can help him!

And to top it all off we have the narrator. Jeez, talk about an insulting stereotype. Reminds me of the old "Spiritual negro" Uncle Remus types.

Anyway, JMHO.
Old 10-04-02, 10:05 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Hey you like the Leafs, your opinion is moot

I'm waiting for the Critical Bill episode
Old 10-04-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the television landscape where every show tried to "shock" the audience with a lame "twist" ending, it's refreshing to see a show that simply tries to tell a good story with quality character development.

Your concerns are quite easily addressed:

1) We see him dancing by himself from the town's POV to note that it's not just a story-telling device, but that he really hasn't let go of his wife yet. Consequently, the town things he's a bit crazy.

2) It's a small town.

3) Ephram doesn't fall for Amy in some wild coincidence. She knows a neural surgeon is coming to town and she immediately seeks to establish a relationship with his son since her boyfriend needs his services. It's not farfetched at all that anywhere Dr. Brown had settled down there'd be someone who needed a neural surgeon.

4) Did you watch the show long enough to find out who the narrator really is and why the rocky relationship between Edna and her son? There's a reason he's the narrator.

If you've ever lived in a small town (or watched a television show about one), you know that everyone knows everyone, and all the lives of the townsfolk are quite intertwined. It's not cliche; it's realistic. I don't need to be surprised to be entertained. Seeing something "a mile away" doesn't really matter so long as it's told in a compelling manner. Life is sometimes insanely predictable; sometimes it throws you crazy curves; and sometimes the most unbelieveable coincidences drop right in your lap. Everwood gives you a little bit of each, just like life. What's important to the show is not so much what happens, but how the characters respond to the events. We have more than enough shows dominated by the plotlines; it's nice to have a few that are just about people, good people, flawed people, just trying to get by ... just like life.

das
Old 10-05-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for the show......I have enjoyed watching this show so far. I think they did a great job in getting Treat Williams for the show. He may not be a so called high caliber actor in today's movie business but he is a damn good actor!!! They also did a great job with the supporting cast. I do not watch too many shows on television any longer. This year my list includes Alias, 24 and Everwood.

Cannot wait for The Shield in January.
Old 10-07-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth freedexter <HR SIZE=1>Sorry...wasn't thinking of the Sunday viewers. Spoiler tags added. <HR SIZE=1>

No problem at all. I'm quite impressed with this show so far. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Once & Again.
das
It's scary because I was thinking the same thing...

"It's like Once and Again without the Hot Brunette."

I still can't believe I'm liking a WB show so much.
Old 10-07-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dek
How was your day?

Pretty standard, I found out I'm in love with a girl whos in love with a guy who is in a coma.

Kind'a reminds me of a song by the Smiths.
Old 10-07-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everwood 10/7 (and 10/13)

I thought tonight's episode was pretty good. See spoiler above.
Old 10-07-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Everwood 10/7 (and 10/13)

Originally posted by bigjim25
I thought tonight's episode was pretty good. See spoiler above.
Definitly a "warm and fuzzy" episode. I liked it, but I don't know if I can say it was the greatest. The end was very good, though. I'm sorry, but I didn't find the ending to be predictable. Instead, it was suprising, and a bit touching.

I was rather irritated with the lack of previews towards the end. I swore they did the same with "Gilmore Girls" last Tuesday...why did they skip the preview? Was the show not done filming? I like seeing a bit of what happens during the next episode.
Old 10-08-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Folks, we have a winner. Another very solid episode for what appears to be the real deal.

das
Old 10-08-02, 01:55 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Bah, missed it
Old 10-08-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dek Bah, missed it
That's the reason I put the 10/13 date. You can catch it on Sundays at 6pm.
Old 10-10-02, 09:33 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
WB picks up Everwood for a full season (orders 22 eps)

Read this in the paper this morning. Seems that Everwood is retaining a high percentage of 7th Heaven fans, thus making the WB acknowledge this as a hit.

I'm glad this new series is gaining popularity. I missed the second episode, but I've watched the others and I have been impressed. I can't stand 7th Heaven, so I'm one of those that tunes in regardless. Gives something "feel-good" to watch before the gruesomeness of Crossing Jordan and CSI: Disney World... I mean CSI: Miami!

Old 10-10-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news, I haven't missed an episode.
Old 10-10-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent news. While I don't hate 7th Heaven, I think we're dealing with a significantly better show here, and I'm glad the Frog is sticking with it. High quality family dramas are pretty rare nowadays, so you gotta hold on to it when you find one ... yes, Michael Eisner, I'm looking at you!

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.