Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Supernatural *Season Premiere* -- "In My Time of Dying" -- 09/28/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supernatural *Season Premiere* -- "In My Time of Dying" -- 09/28/06

Old 09-28-06, 01:39 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 22,557
Received 266 Likes on 203 Posts
Supernatural *Season Premiere* -- "In My Time of Dying" -- 09/28/06

"In My Time of Dying" Episode #201.
Spoiler:
One of the Winchester men hovers between life and death as his family faces an old and powerful adversary.

Cast: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
Director(s): Kim Manners.
Producer(s): Eric Kripke, Robert Singer.
Writer(s): Eric Kripke.

Original Airdate: September 28, 2006.
Old 09-28-06, 09:20 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good season opener, but I KNEW that was how it was going to end.

Spoiler:
It will be interesting to see how the brothers get by without dad, though they were already getting by pretty well with just his journal.
Old 09-29-06, 06:28 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's sad to see their dad go, but I think the show will be better because they aren't chasing after him all the time.

Wow, that CW bug is seriously annoying.
Old 09-29-06, 06:48 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
I'm sad their dad's gone, but, yeah, you could see that coming. I'm more concerned about the gun being gone.
Old 09-29-06, 02:44 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 3,394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CW network is NOT being carried in Hawaii. Terrible for us fans of this show, "Veronica Mars", "Smallville", etc.
Old 09-29-06, 04:24 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loved this ep...but is Dad seriously dead? I don't see this being permanent...they've got to find some way to bring him back... I don't get CW HD, but another local station showed Season 1 in HD, but the premiere was just a 4:3 upconvert...seriously annoying. Glad to have this show back... I saw it's ratings on zap2it, but does anyone know how it did compared to last year and vs the network's expectations? I'd hate for this to get axed.

MATT
Old 09-29-06, 04:25 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datagirl7
Spoiler:
I'm sad their dad's gone, but, yeah, you could see that coming. I'm more concerned about the gun being gone.
Do we really still need to spoilerize?

Anyway, I never believed the colt was THE only way to off the Demon. It was ONE of the ways John found. So now that the colt is no longer an option, they'd just have to figure out another way.
Old 09-29-06, 04:26 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad to see the show back. I only started watching really late last season.
Old 09-29-06, 04:36 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Loved this ep...but is Dad seriously dead? I don't see this being permanent...they've got to find some way to bring him back... I don't get CW HD, but another local station showed Season 1 in HD, but the premiere was just a 4:3 upconvert...seriously annoying. Glad to have this show back... I saw it's ratings on zap2it, but does anyone know how it did compared to last year and vs the network's expectations? I'd hate for this to get axed.
MATT
I think John is really dead. There are only 3 options for that character, 1) die 2) live and fight with the boys 3) live and go away again. Only #1 is viable because this show is about 2 brothers fighting evil. Having Dad there permenantly would change the whole premise of the show. And I don't think I'd buy John just disappearing again after all that has happened. Unless of course Kripke has some master plan going on that we just don't know about.

As for the ratings, I read over at the TWOP forums that it came in dead last last night; behind Celebrity Duets mind you! But it is a tough timeslot. I just hope the CW won't cancel it because of its seemingly poor viewership. Because it seems a lot of people either Tivo or DVR it and watch it later.
Old 09-29-06, 09:46 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,065
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked this show at the start of season one.. near the end I had pretty much stopped watching being they just sort of stood around talking.... and talking.... and then........ more talking.. Ok fine, maybe they ran out of money for the FX to have ghosts, demon this or that ect as all the first 10 or so eps had or something I have no idea..

I tune back in to the start of this season and what do I get? MORE TALKING.. Yelling at the dad, bother yelling at both of them.. Talking about what is after the brother, then the dad goes into the basement and...................... talks to a demon.. then a reaper is talking to the bother... GOOD LORD.. yawn..

I don't need over the top action but at least do something interesting location wise or whatever. I stopped watching when they sat around a warehouse talking, come back and they sit around a hospital and talk.. No wonder they ended dead last in the ratings..

I love the theme of the show but I they are just making it so dull to watch IMO..
Old 09-29-06, 10:03 PM
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great premiere. Not sure what the guy above was watching, but it definitely was not dull.

Yes, there was a lot of talking in this episode, but the story and situations were interesting. To me this was a great example of telling a good story without needing lots of special fx and action.

It was every bit as interesting as the action extravaganza that was the Smallville season 6 premiere, despite it not being action packed.
Old 09-30-06, 12:34 AM
  #12  
MrX
DVD Talk Hero
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,223
Likes: 0
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
I thought it was good.

Poor Jeffrey Dean Morgan, he goes from 2 jobs to out of work
Old 09-30-06, 03:02 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkndkn
The CW network is NOT being carried in Hawaii. Terrible for us fans of this show, "Veronica Mars", "Smallville", etc.
Waaah! Go to the beach, you don't know what you've got until you move away to somewhere with cold, black glassy seas.
Old 09-30-06, 04:09 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,038
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umm... All they did was talk? There were only three regulars on this show. One of them died in this episode. If you call that dull, heaven help any show you watch.
Old 09-30-06, 11:10 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got around to watching it just now.

GREAT episode. I thought it was a pretty interesting concept with Dean having an out-of-body experience, and the Reaper in the hospital. Lots of great acting, and directing as well. As good as I thought Smallville's season premiere was, I thought Supernatual's blew it out of the water. Too bad the ratings didn't showcase that.

Next week's episode looks interesting, with a
Spoiler:
killer clown
and all.
Old 10-01-06, 12:31 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 763
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Great premiere. Not sure what the guy above was watching, but it definitely was not dull.

Yes, there was a lot of talking in this episode, but the story and situations were interesting. To me this was a great example of telling a good story without needing lots of special fx and action.

It was every bit as interesting as the action extravaganza that was the Smallville season 6 premiere, despite it not being action packed.
Let me start by saying Supernatural was my favorite new show last year and it continues to be among my favorite shows currently on television. That said, Slayer is right.

A lot happened in this episode and for fans of the show it was a fantastic episode (I loved it), but for a season opener on a new network this was terrible. It had an overreliance on knowledge of past events and very little action or even exploration of their standard format hunting demons and urban legends. I did not see anyway in which this episode would bring in new viewers and with the CW having just launched, that should primarily be their focus regardless of whether a show was on a previous network and especially when that show is still somewhat new (of the shows carried over onto the CW from either UPN or the WB, I believe Supernatural is the only serialized show to have debuted last year).
Old 10-02-06, 08:11 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadLamb
I really liked this show at the start of season one.. near the end I had pretty much stopped watching being they just sort of stood around talking.... and talking.... and then........ more talking.. Ok fine, maybe they ran out of money for the FX to have ghosts, demon this or that ect as all the first 10 or so eps had or something I have no idea..

I tune back in to the start of this season and what do I get? MORE TALKING.. Yelling at the dad, bother yelling at both of them.. Talking about what is after the brother, then the dad goes into the basement and...................... talks to a demon.. then a reaper is talking to the bother... GOOD LORD.. yawn..

I don't need over the top action but at least do something interesting location wise or whatever. I stopped watching when they sat around a warehouse talking, come back and they sit around a hospital and talk.. No wonder they ended dead last in the ratings..
Something called The X-Files for the most part was all talking too.

Won't be missing your contributions to future episode threads.

The only thing that annoyed me was that Dean remembered nothing of his out of body experience when he came out of the coma so they seemingly have no idea why Dad died except that the Colt is missing.

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-02-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-03-06, 11:49 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: chokin' you out in less than 30 seconds
Posts: 10,634
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok...dad is dead. now...how about a return to the monster-of-the-week and hot-chick-of-the-week as they roam the countryside...looking for....well, not their dad.

the occasional lapse back into the 'chasing the demon' story arc would be great....as would some new accomplices for the demon like the blonde chick from last year.

here are some monsters i'd like to see:

vampires.
vampires with big boobs.
succubus.
succubus with big boobs.
a coven of witches. with big boobs. they could be hooker witches or something.

and each week, they find some good looking girl to help them out. i like it. sign me up.
Old 10-04-06, 07:54 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 22,557
Received 266 Likes on 203 Posts
Good season premiere. Sad to see the dad go but one good thing about the him dying is that I won't be subjected to the tedious arguments between Sam and him.

So is the Reaper supposed to be Death itself or one of his lesser "agents"? The Big Demon must be really powerful for him to take over the reaper.

I get the sense that the show is implying that the main demon that they are fighting against, is the Devil itself.
Old 10-04-06, 08:19 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 6,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spoilers regarding the father..source is AA from tvguide.com

Spoiler:
Question: You told us that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was going to be in more than one episode of Supernatural this season, and then John Winchester dies at the end of last week's premiere! Is he somehow not really dead?ó Charissa

Ausiello: Actually, exec producer Eric Kripke said that, and he's standing by his words. "John Winchester really is dead," Kripke insists. "But the show is called Supernatural, and characters can come back in all sorts of ways. In the short term, we want the boys to deal with their dadís unexpected death, and all the drama and angst that comes out of that, so we wonít see John for a little while. But this isnít the last we hear from him." In other words, be careful who you call a liar, Charissa!
Old 10-05-06, 08:56 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,977
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think dad's death is good for the show. With his experience, most demons would be toast and it would get kinda boring. Now the boys have to kinda figure it out...with dad's book

As the season progresses, I'm hoping we will get to see more of Sam's power...whatever they may be, and maybe Dean has some kind of power as well.


Originally Posted by pilot
spoilers regarding the father..source is AA from tvguide.com

Spoiler:
Question: You told us that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was going to be in more than one episode of Supernatural this season, and then John Winchester dies at the end of last week's premiere! Is he somehow not really dead?ó Charissa

Ausiello: Actually, exec producer Eric Kripke said that, and he's standing by his words. "John Winchester really is dead," Kripke insists. "But the show is called Supernatural, and characters can come back in all sorts of ways. In the short term, we want the boys to deal with their dadís unexpected death, and all the drama and angst that comes out of that, so we wonít see John for a little while. But this isnít the last we hear from him." In other words, be careful who you call a liar, Charissa!
Spoiler:
I can see that working. Mom has already helped them once.
Old 10-05-06, 09:08 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We learned that Sam is in some way psychic which probably allowed Dean to communicate with him in this episode. I'd expect John Winchester to work the same way to help his sons...
Old 10-05-06, 02:12 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,422
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy who played their Dad has died on Grey's Anatomy, Weeds and now this.
He just can't stay living.
Old 10-09-06, 02:55 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,065
Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by seisui
As for the ratings, I read over at the TWOP forums that it came in dead last last night; behind Celebrity Duets mind you! But it is a tough timeslot. I just hope the CW won't cancel it because of its seemingly poor viewership.
That sucks...especially since I was hoping for about 4-5 seasons of this show.


Originally Posted by seisui
Because it seems a lot of people either Tivo or DVR it and watch it later.
That's exactly what I do. Had me a nice Supernatural Double Episode last night

...but I thought Tivo/DVR activity could be tracked?
Old 10-09-06, 07:14 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
...but I thought Tivo/DVR activity could be tracked?
This was also covered over at TWOP. Not sure about DVR but Tivo does keep track. However none of the ratings (like the Nielsen, etc.) includes any of Tivo's data.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.