Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dateline NBC: Online Predators

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dateline NBC: Online Predators

I missed last nites (09.22.06) episode of Dateline:NBC. I have seen in the previous airing of this series that NBC repeats these episodes via MSNBC. Anyone know if these new crop of episodes will be repeated in the same way?
Old 09-23-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hasn't NBC milked this to it's capacity already?
Old 09-23-06, 02:02 PM
Banned

All I have to say is this program is pure entertainment for an hour. The faces of these men as the cameras come out on some ninja shit just all of a sudden BAM you got 2 cameras and a guy with a boom mic. To them pleading for their lives, crying.

"The sweetest best pleasure"

Old 09-23-06, 02:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I miss the swat cop disguised as a bush.
Old 09-23-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Just a tad over the top the way they swarm in, but funny as hell

These "specials" never get old and it's especially interesting now that most know about the stings and know who Chris Hanson is when he enters the room...
Old 09-24-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by StrTrkker
I missed last nites (09.22.06) episode of Dateline:NBC. I have seen in the previous airing of this series that NBC repeats these episodes via MSNBC. Anyone know if these new crop of episodes will be repeated in the same way?
Not sure if they will be repeated, but they will be showing a new one, next Friday (9/29) at 9pm.
Old 09-24-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how do these idiots keep falling for this?
Old 09-24-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dateline's lucky that none of these pervs are packing heat, and it becomes a hostage situation and the worst case scenario gets that reporter and the camera crew killed.
Old 09-24-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What I don't understand is, if the person they are really talking to is not underage (which is what I'm assuming happens here), what exactly are they being charged with? Is it a crime to talk that way to someone pretending to be underage?
Old 09-24-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
What I don't understand is, if the person they are really talking to is not underage (which is what I'm assuming happens here), what exactly are they being charged with? Is it a crime to talk that way to someone pretending to be underage?
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe as long as the person says they're underage (16 and under, I think), and it is made abundantly clear that the target knows this and continues on and talks in a sexual manner, that is against the law. In these cases, if the perv asks to come to over, the boy/girl suggests bringing specific items like condems, alcohol and such so when they do come and have those things, the police can show intent because they brought those things and combined with the chat log, that shows they didn't just stop by accidentally, they were there for sex not just to "talk".

I think Chris Hanson and Dateline explained why they can use these tactics and can get convictions from it...
Old 09-25-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dpz301
how do these idiots keep falling for this?
Because these are guys who have a short circuit in their brain to begin with. Their creepy desires way over drive any potential common sense.
Old 09-25-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
It's kind of like Minority Report, where they can divine your intentions and arrest you for future crimes. They have this big pool, with a bunch of shaved-head people floating in it.
Old 09-25-06, 12:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Dateline's lucky that none of these pervs are packing heat, and it becomes a hostage situation and the worst case scenario gets that reporter and the camera crew killed.
Yeah, I'm honestly shocked that none of these guys have turned out to be some psychopath who was going there to kill the girl instead of (in addition to?) raping her. But maybe I just watch too many slasher movies.

The whole thing comes off as a bizarre version of Punk'd nowadays. What surprised me in this one was that one guy drove near the house, but then changed his mind and drove off. He never went in the house... he never even left his vehicle. The cops still chased him down and arrested him just because he made the drive to the place. So I wonder how they can identify the *correct* people simply based on chat logs? Say if you were randomly driving by that house unaware of what was going on and just happened to have an item in your car (like condoms for instance) that matched something that had been requested by the girl. Granted either way you'd eventually be cleared when they checked the IPs and whatnot, but it would still be a humiliating experience.
Old 09-25-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,804 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

...and a ratings gold.
Old 09-25-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Do they ever say what happens to the arrestees, like if the charges stick? It does seem like it would be pretty easy to beat.
Old 09-25-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only one they mentioned (that I noticed) was that rabbi (sp?) who sort of went after Chris Hanson (it was one of the first stings). It all depends on the laws and maybe that how they pick where to do these stings...
Old 09-25-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Hehe, me and my friends call him Swamp Thing. Didn't see him last time though
Old 09-30-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
Yeah, I'm honestly shocked that none of these guys have turned out to be some psychopath who was going there to kill the girl instead of (in addition to?) raping her. But maybe I just watch too many slasher movies.

The whole thing comes off as a bizarre version of Punk'd nowadays. What surprised me in this one was that one guy drove near the house, but then changed his mind and drove off. He never went in the house... he never even left his vehicle. The cops still chased him down and arrested him just because he made the drive to the place. So I wonder how they can identify the *correct* people simply based on chat logs? Say if you were randomly driving by that house unaware of what was going on and just happened to have an item in your car (like condoms for instance) that matched something that had been requested by the girl. Granted either way you'd eventually be cleared when they checked the IPs and whatnot, but it would still be a humiliating experience.
once they arrest you they get a search warrant for your home and look at your computer and any other sick crap you may have lying around. the show is just a small part of it.
Old 09-30-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

police have been doing this stuff for years, Dateline just put it on TV. they have cops specially trained to act like teens online and then they do the sting operations.

perfectly legal too since the perv is showing intent by showing up ready to have sex with a person he belives to be underage. you don't need to have sex with a cop pretending to be a prostitute either to get arrested. talking is one thing, these people are traveling long distances to have have sex with kids.

My favorite was that one guy who was supposed to be a doctor at the very end last night and they only showed a clip and he just broke down.
Old 09-30-06, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
My favorite was that one guy who was supposed to be a doctor at the very end last night and they only showed a clip and he just broke down.
Yeah, that was classic.

A lot of these guys seem to conflicted. They have a love/hate relationship with what they are doing with underage kids. I have the same internal conflict with this show. I don't want to watch it. I don't want to enjoy it. But I do. I think it is unbelieveable how this has become a part of Dateline NBC and my weekly TV viewing habits.
Old 09-30-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
...and a ratings gold.
I'd tivo that. The reporter is really getting on my nerves.
When are they going to make this a series?
Old 10-01-06, 12:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
once they arrest you they get a search warrant for your home and look at your computer and any other sick crap you may have lying around. the show is just a small part of it.
I'm not talking about conviction, I'm talking about the initial arrest. The guy that drove by and didn't even get out of his car. How did they know he was one of the perv guys and not just some guy who happened to be driving down that street? He got yanked out of his car, arrested, etc. Granted, he ended up being on of the pervs, but how did they know this just from him driving down the road? Are they arresting everyone who drives down that street on the off chance they're one of the pedophiles?
Old 10-01-06, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm not talking about conviction, I'm talking about the initial arrest. The guy that drove by and didn't even get out of his car. How did they know he was one of the perv guys and not just some guy who happened to be driving down that street? He got yanked out of his car, arrested, etc. Granted, he ended up being on of the pervs, but how did they know this just from him driving down the road? Are they arresting everyone who drives down that street on the off chance they're one of the pedophiles?
A large percentage of the guys send their pictures to the young boy/girl that they are chatting with. Maybe they all do?

Remember how they couldn't match up who the other guy was that headed in while the one guy stayed out in his truck. They finally figured it out and then showed the picture that he had sent the girl.
Old 10-01-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not defending these sick shits, but I'm certain that it isn't just men that are after younger people. Also, there are tons of kids that go online and act like older people. I wish they would show that sometime. Maybe have one of these kids come to a house and then be hit with the reality that they could be hurt or worse.
Old 10-01-06, 08:31 PM

Has anyone ever gone to the website pervertedjustice.com? They are the people that Dateline use for the chatting part. On the website, they have fulltranscripts of people they have busted through Dateline and other police they have worked with. Some of the transcripts are digusting when you think of they are coming from adults thinking they are talking to teenagers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.