The King of Queens starring Kevin James, Leah Remini, Jerry Stiller on CBS

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from tonights episode:
Doug: 'Dec did you find anything?'
Dec: 'No but i found the first season of deadwood DVD, mind if i take it?'

-reminded me of the 'Do you let people borrow your DVD's thread'.

I thought they did a really nice job ending the series even through they kind of rushed the whole Kid thing.

Over the past nine seasons the King of Queens has kind of gone under the radar, never getting much buzz or critical praise from season to season and not being promoted by CBS that well.
Face it this 'So-called' spin-off of 'Everybody loves raymond' is way funnier than ELR & the theme song is better too. I truly never understood why people liked shows like Fraiser, Friends, & everybody love raymond. They were safe, unfunny, predictable sitcoms. The King of Queens althrough a standard sitcom & makes no excuses for it is one of the few studio audience sitcoms that was funny every week and the show unlike most of these types of shows [*cough*]Will & Grace[*cough*] (love W&G don't get me wrong) didn't need a wack of guest stars to make the show good. KOQ's was all about the 3 main character's and a a teriffic supporting cast to make the show great. This will no doubt go down as one of my favorite sitcoms/Shows in tv history and will be added to the long list of other great shows in primetime TV's history. I kind of feel that with the King of Queen's off the air now sitcoms like these will never be the same. The last sitcom to debut in the 90's goes off the air which justs hits you in the head when you think about it.
one if not the best acted sitcoms ever, Kevin, Leah, Stiller & the rest actually gave a damn and gave us a great performance that you just don't see that often on TV shows.

I had a King of Queens DVD marathon over the last 2 weekends watching seasons 1, 2 & 3. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen this show pick up all 8 seasons on DVD so far and the 9th season coming soon.

The montage at the very end left a tear in my eye cause I knew the show would never be coming back and it really doesn't hit you until the last few minutes.

Indeed KOQ's -

Thanks for the Ride...

The King of Queens
sept.21/98-may.14/07

Last edited by nateman241; 05-15-07 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-15-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Spoiler-proofed for anyone who didn't get to watch it yet:

Spoiler:
Arthur's fiancee backs out of the wedding at the last minute after discovering Arthur isn't gay (lol), so Arthur ends up proposing to and marrying Spence's mother instead. Doug reveals to Carrie that he knows about her keeping the Manhattan apartment and says he wants a divorce. At the same time, Carrie gets the word that the adoption of a Chinese baby is a go, and so she and Doug both take off for China to get the baby and end up reconciling on the plane. After getting the Chinese baby, Carrie finds out she is also really pregnant.

The last scene of the show is one year later, with Doug and Carrie and their two babies. Arthur comes bursting through the door saying "It didn't work out" (in reference to his marriage, and presumably meaning he's moving back in again).
The show ended with a montage of scenes from other episodes over the years, with a song I'm not familiar with playing in the background.
One other important point
Spoiler:
The house is a complete cyclone with toys all over the floor, and the toddler is lurching around, the baby screaming, and that's when Arthur comes back. So, they're miserable.
Old 05-15-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thought it was a pretty funny finale. I really liked how the show ended with Arthur coming back.

I only wish the way that we got to the end of these people's lives on the show didn't feel so contrived. Arthur getting married and Doug/Carrie having the baby all felt rushed and not natural.

But there was some good comedy. I really found the idea of them getting two babies to be very funny.

Oh, and one of my fav lines in the series' run. Don't remember the episode, but Carrie I believe is jealous that a woman is actually interested in Doug. During the arguement, Doug shouts out:

"I'm just a delicious piece of man meat, and you're going to have to accept that!"
Old 05-15-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrie: "I married you! What do you call that?"

Doug: "Uhmm, hitting the jackpot."

Carrie: "Doug, I'm pregnant."

Doug (holding chinese baby): "What are we supposed to do with this one?"

Great finale. Awesome show!
Old 05-15-07, 08:38 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Overall a fine finale. It actually left me wanting them to start KoQ all over, because Doug & Carrie with 2 kids plus Arthur back in the basement could be golden!

Farewell.
Old 05-15-07, 08:42 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
As usual with most shows, an average final where every character is over-the-top in their performance. Although Deacon calling Arthur a racist in his toast is classic!

I still like Everybody Loves Raymond finale the most of any recent show, it didn't try to do anything crazy or outlandish, it was just another basic episode. Sorry but you just can't get a Newhart and St. Elsewhere ending with every show.
Old 05-15-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed this episode, and thought that it was a fitting way to go out. Nice to see most of the secondary characters again, like Holly and Lou.

Although it is definitely time for the show to go, I would have loved to see a few shows with Carrie as a mother. Loved Doug's line about them being fat and mean for life. During a couple of those flashbacks, I couldn't believe how much weight he had lost on the Atkins diet, only to put it all back on again.
Old 05-15-07, 01:14 PM

Haven't watched it in quite a while, but I enjoyed the first few seasons.

I love the "demented old circus monkey" line as well.

As for the finale:
Spoiler:
Didn't see it, but from the spoilers it sounds disappointing. How many times has that "Can't have a baby so they adopt and then suddenly the wife gets pregnant" plotline been used?
Old 05-15-07, 03:41 PM

Redskull, we can always count on you to be a demented old circus monkey, and I say that in the nicest way possible, of course.
Old 05-15-07, 04:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Good finale... nothing stellar, but good... KOQ was a show I took for granted.. never really made a point to watch, but always loved and got sucked in when I did see it... I'm a bit sad it's gone...
Old 05-15-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
So what became of Holly?
Old 05-16-07, 01:28 AM
Banned

It looks like CBS is puting up some full episodes on their site. Looks like the last two before the finale. Hopefully they'll be putting it up too. I'll probably take a look, as I wasn't able to see an episode once Heroes came back and I was already recording 24. Wish they were in widescreen though. Oh well, ABC still has the best quality player for their episodes.
Old 05-20-07, 07:32 PM

Finale was great. So sad to see go, I've been watching this for years...R.I.P. King of Queens.
Old 05-20-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great episode. James did a very good job at playing drunk.
Old 05-24-07, 07:33 AM

Just to let anyone who missed the *Series finale* last monday, it is reairing on CBS tonight (Thursday MAY 24.) so if you missed it check it out!
Old 05-25-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any clue what the name of the song that ran over the montage was?
Old 05-25-07, 08:05 PM

I have to say, I can't bring myself to delete the final episode from my DVR. I keep watching the montage they played at the end over and over

Even though the last season was not as great as previous ones, it was still better than most sitcoms ever will be. This montage reminds me of how great this show was, and how the secondary characters played such and important part. It also reminds me of some of the nicer moments between Doug and Carrie (anyone else notice there are not too many post pregnancy clips of Leah in this?). In any event, I miss KOQ - here is the montage:

Madcougar, the song is called 'Milk & Honey' by A Million Billion. You can buy it on iTunes.
Old 05-26-07, 08:27 AM

Madcougar, the song is called 'Milk & Honey' by A Million Billion. You can buy it on iTunes.
Thanks for posting that, I'm going to download it now.
Old 05-26-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
Thanks guy. I too loved the montage.
Old 05-27-07, 09:53 AM

Thank god for syndication and reruns.

Always loved the Deacon and felt like he never got enough props.