Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The WB's Night of Favorites and Farwells - 9/17/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The WB's Night of Favorites and Farwells - 9/17/06

Sunday night the WB will be airing the pilots to four of its ‘original’ series that helped ‘define a generation’ with FELICITY, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, & DAWSON’S CREEK starting at 5pm, and instead of commercial breaks there will be interviews with cast/crew, retrospectives, promos for DVDs/CW, and special memories… This should be something interesting for those, like me that grew up watching the network. It's showing the night I move back into the dorms, but I know what I'll be watchign as I unpack!

On a side note, does anyone else find it kinda funny that in the commercial running on the WB for the event the footage from FELICITY and BUFFY are from the unaired pilots, and not the ones that aired in Spring 97/Fall 98?
Old 09-13-06, 12:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Have not seen the commercials...but looking forward to seeing old promos and such. Love the yearly 'whats new on WB' videos.
Old 09-13-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't going to watch but these interviews might be interesting.
I wonderif they will get Sarah Michelle, Katie Holmes Cruise and Terri Russel to say anything.
Old 09-13-06, 12:56 AM

I wonder if they will actually play the Buffy Pilot exactly as they originally aired it with the Anthony Head voice over narration of previous slayers, something which literally has not aired since the initial premiere (it didn't even make it to the Sunday repeat of the episode and was inexplicably left off the DVDs)
Old 09-13-06, 01:55 AM

I wonder if they will actually play the Buffy Pilot exactly as they originally aired it with the Anthony Head voice over narration of previous slayers, something which literally has not aired since the initial premiere (it didn't even make it to the Sunday repeat of the episode and was inexplicably left off the DVDs)
I didn't even think about that, but if they did I would wet my pants... I remember that promo all those years ago and have been looking for it every since!

The yearly promos where the best (espeically the 2001 one "oh what a night" - that was when the WB was at its highest peek)...

And yes the interviews should be interseting and I'm sure we'll see Sarah Michelle Gellar and Keri Russel, but Katie Holmes might be a little difficult... all i know is that I'm probably going to need some tissues for the night... Like the promo said - I grew up with this network, lol... I probably sound crazy, but oh well
Old 09-13-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too bad they won't air the original Buffy pilot with the different Willow.
Old 09-13-06, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
strange. I don't have any of this listed for the 17th. my listings look like this:

5:00pm - Fashion House
6:00pm - Will & Grace
6:30pm - Will & Grace
7:00pm - Friends
7:30pm - Friends
8:00pm - Cold Squad(whatever this is)
9:00pm - Stone Undercover(ditto)

its like this on my DTivo, Comcast and my HTPC guide.
Old 09-13-06, 11:31 PM

strange. I don't have any of this listed for the 17th. my listings look like this:

Weird... but since it lists 'fashion house' that makes me think that yoru WB has already turned to 'MYTV"
Old 09-14-06, 12:30 AM

what about everwood
Old 09-14-06, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Weird... but since it lists 'fashion house' that makes me think that yoru WB has already turned to 'MYTV"
yeah, the network has been showing Fashion House and Desire for almost 2 weeks now(Mon. - Fri.). Desire actually airs an hour earlier this Sunday at 4:00pm. they are listed as recap shows(for the week) for both.

I'll have to try to find someone to record this for me because I really want to see it.
Old 09-14-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't that mean that your market had both UPN and WB? One turned into MyTV and the other turns into CW.

Here's my channel 50 WB for Sunday:
5:00p Felicity
6:00p Angel
7:00p Buffy the Vampire Slayer
9:00p Dawson's Creek

What's up with Buffy being two hours? It says "Welcome to Hellmouth; Harvest". Was the original pilot aired as two episodes back to back?
Old 09-14-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll definately catch this. I watched every episodes of Buffy Angel and Dawson's, this should bring back some painful memories about whatever I was feeling at the time. Dawson's always made me a sad sad mess. It is hard to believe the channel is gone. It pretty much created the teen crazed show.
Old 09-14-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Atlanta area's former WB station is now a MYTV station, and UPN has become the CW station, which is good for me because I never had a problem getting UPN station (UHF 43), but the former WB station (36) was sometimes hit or miss depending on the weather via OTA reception.
Old 09-14-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Doesn't that mean that your market had both UPN and WB? One turned into MyTV and the other turns into CW.

Here's my channel 50 WB for Sunday:
5:00p Felicity
6:00p Angel
7:00p Buffy the Vampire Slayer
9:00p Dawson's Creek

What's up with Buffy being two hours? It says "Welcome to Hellmouth; Harvest". Was the original pilot aired as two episodes back to back?
The Buffy pilot was a two-parter.
Old 09-14-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Sunday night the WB will be airing the pilots to four of its ‘original’ series that helped ‘define a generation’ with FELICITY, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, & DAWSON’S CREEK starting at 5pm, and instead of commercial breaks there will be interviews with cast/crew, retrospectives, promos for DVDs/CW, and special memories… This should be something interesting for those, like me that grew up watching the network. It's showing the night I move back into the dorms, but I know what I'll be watchign as I unpack!

On a side note, does anyone else find it kinda funny that in the commercial running on the WB for the event the footage from FELICITY and BUFFY are from the unaired pilots, and not the ones that aired in Spring 97/Fall 98?

Your school hasn't started back yet? Odd.
Old 09-14-06, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Terri Russel
Keri Russell?
Old 09-14-06, 03:30 PM
Suspended

That's three hours of Charisma Carpenter right there. Mmmmm. I'd like to spend three hours with her.
Old 09-14-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the early Buffy seasons her hair was too weird. She didn't get hot until later.
Old 09-14-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cordy was plenty hot from season 1 on...
Old 09-14-06, 04:11 PM

Your school hasn't started back yet? Odd.
The University of California doesn't start classes till the third week of september because they run on the quarter system. Regular Semester colleges start in mid-august and go to mid-december for one semester and then mid-jan to mid-may for the second. Quarter schools have one quarter late sept - early dec, early jan - early march, late march - mid june... It's kinda confusing...

The Buffy pilot was a two-parter.
I remember when it originally aired they called it something like 'the buffy premier movie event' or something to that effect... for people that have only seen it on DVD or reruns - its episodes 1 & 2, only with a commercail break between the two episodes and no credits on the first episode of opening credits/previously on/intro on the second episode.

Cordy was plenty hot from season 1 on...
Personally, I think she was at her hottest durring season 2 & 3 of ANGEL
Old 09-14-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks

Check your listings for early morning of Monday, Sept 18. The channel that used to be WB in my area has already switched to MyTV (thus they have been airing "Fashion House and Desire for the last two weeks) and they have been showing the repeats of WB programs like "Smallville", "Supernatural", "One Tree Hill" etc during the early hours of the next morning. So since this is a WB special thats going on, they may air the first episodes of "Angel"-"Buffy" etc then. Hopefully thats the case on my end as I wouldn't mind getting this on tape.

Update: Well I decided to check my local listings via TVGuide.com and it looks like we are getting this WB special as its scheduled-5:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET on Sunday evening.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 09-14-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-17-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminder!
Old 09-17-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just looked at the WB affil. here in the bay area and none of the listings are for the shows in this thread. Unfair.
Old 09-17-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WHAT A RIPOFF.

The only WB I can get - Buffalo's former WB49, now a MyTV channel, is airing the shows, but NO PROMOS or anything else.

I'd guess it's all the former WB channels that are now MyNetworkTV channels - blocking out the WB stuff with regular commercials, but not the end credits. Since those are now owned by Fox, perhaps that has something to do with it?

Either way it's a letdown.

EDIT:

Buffy seems to be airing commercial free - at least the first two act breaks went uninterrupted.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 09-17-06 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-17-06, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
Check your listings for early morning of Monday, Sept 18. The channel that used to be WB in my area has already switched to MyTV (thus they have been airing "Fashion House and Desire for the last two weeks) and they have been showing the repeats of WB programs like "Smallville", "Supernatural", "One Tree Hill" etc during the early hours of the next morning. So since this is a WB special thats going on, they may air the first episodes of "Angel"-"Buffy" etc then. Hopefully thats the case on my end as I wouldn't mind getting this on tape.

Update: Well I decided to check my local listings via TVGuide.com and it looks like we are getting this WB special as its scheduled-5:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET on Sunday evening.

LB...
no go for me on either latenight/early morning on either station(old WB/UPN or CW/MYNetwork).

my listings still show the same as I posted above. the funny thing is that even though Friends is listed for 7:00pm they are airing Will and Grace. I'm completely bummed that I'm not getting to see this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.