Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New CG effects for Star Trek TOS? (merged)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New CG effects for Star Trek TOS? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are nuts!

Camp and nostalghia is all this stuff has going for it. Replacing the crappy FX would be like replacing Shatner's bad acting or Uhuru's three-inch miniskirt or Bones' ridiculous country doctor affectations.
Old 08-31-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I find this very intriguing, and will most likely check out a few episodes, but I agree with the people who are saying it will be jarring. I mean, if they're going to change the outdoor scenes and the exterior spaceship shots, everything else is still going to look dated, especially the Enterprise interiors and the costumes and the make-up and the over-the-top acting.

In my mind, there's simply no way they can remaster SOME of the effects in this series and create a larger fanbase for the show, because if the reason they are doing this is to satisfy people who complain about how cheap-looking it is, these same people will still bitch about everything that didn't get updated. And purists will balk at the idea and stay away.

I'm a huge TOS fan, but I just don't understand the point...
Old 08-31-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well at least they came up with an explanation for the smooth headed Klingons in the 4th season of Enterprise. That will save them from some CGI work.
Old 08-31-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I don't see how the situations are comprable. Michael Curtiz chose to shoot 'Casablanca' in black and white, even though color was an option at the time. Gene Roddenberry chose to make 'Star Trek' with the best special effects available at the time. Updating those special effects would not change anything about the show which does work (such as acting, writing, etc.).
Okay, forget Casablanca...lets go with the original King Kong instead. You're missing the point. If Peter Jackson instead of remaking King Kong decided to go back into the 1933 movie and update all the special effects and backgrounds with 2006 technology, would you be okay with that? If you would, then there's no point in debating, because you'll never "get it". I guess I'm a purist.
Old 08-31-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see this if it was, say, a one-off deal of the top 10 episodes or something, in a 2-disc set.

But don't change the theme song--it's one of the best sci-fi themes ever!
Old 08-31-06, 04:26 PM

This isn't related to the new DVDs but I saw this on Metafilter.com a while back...

"In 2003, Paramount proposed redoing the special effects for the original "Star Trek" series and rereleasing the episodes as "Star Trek Enhanced". Two CGI firms redid the effects for the teaser, the opening credits and title, and the first two acts of The Doomsday Machine as a proof-of-concept with no changes to the acting or the story. Paramount ultimately decided not to pursue the project, but it's interesting to see how two different CGI firms handled the transporter, phasers, and starship effects." -http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/52506

Here are the tests for comparison...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HSYC6Wlbv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XHmj-dPEY
Old 08-31-06, 06:14 PM

uh oh, from Ain't it cool news...

"...The TREK TOS will be put through a makeover. New FX for all of the space material. A new title sequence. The effects will be brought to us by the same team who handled CATEGORY 7: THE END OF THE WORLD – an in-house FX group at CBS. One source characterized the overall nature of this undertaking as “incredibly cheap”...

Oy, I saw that show and the FX were hardly state of the CGI art......

I wouldn't be surprised if this was not broadcast in HD. That way to finally get them in HD, you will have to buy season sets at like $500 a pop.
So not just the FX, the music has been re-recorded, at least the theme. If they do indeed re-record other music passages the sound difference from the 60's dialog and sound effects to a modern recording of music tracks, probably done on the cheap on a synth might be jarring. Are they replacing sound effects as well?
And once again, "you purists have your versions on DVD already" is missing the point. I'm sure many people want the original versions on HD as well, grainy cheesy FX and all...

"STAR TREK redefined science-fiction and constantly pushed the envelope with concepts that were ahead of their time," said John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television. "By giving the series a digital upgrade using the best technology available today, it will continue to be a leader in cutting-edge television programming as we introduce the series to a new generation of viewers..."

How are you gonna explain the contrast between the spiffy new CGI FX and the VERY 60's TV era lighting, clothing, makeup, acting styles and hairdos....
Ah, the poor younger generation, gotta make everything easy for them to digest....
and the ones who care so much about "digital" quality that they load up their ipods to the brim with tinny sounding heavily compressed mp3's... Yep, some new whizzing CGI ships will really draw them into the show....
By re-doing the effects and not just perhaps restoring them and refining them it implies that the all the hard work done by all those super talented craftspeople is basically worthless today. Sad IMHO...

but what do I know
Old 08-31-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"STAR TREK" ENTERING A NEW FRONTIER

The Original Series Returns To Broadcast Syndication For The First Time In 16 Years With Brand-New Digitally Remastered Episodes To Celebrate Its 40th Anniversary

Hollywood, Calif. -- STAR TREK is getting a 21st century makeover. CBS Paramount Domestic Television is releasing digitally remastered episodes of the iconic 1960s sci-fi series, with all new special effects and music, to celebrate the groundbreaking series' 40th anniversary, it was announced today by John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television.

The new episodes also mark the first time in 16 years that the original STAR TREK series can be seen in broadcast syndication. The episodes will begin airing on the more than 200 stations that own the rights to the weekend broadcast syndication window starting Sept. 16 (check local listings for station and dates). All 79 episodes of the original STAR TREK series will eventually be remastered, with the first batch of episodes chosen from a list of STAR TREK fans' favorite shows.

"STAR TREK redefined science-fiction and constantly pushed the envelope with concepts that were ahead of their time," Nogawski said. "By giving the series a digital upgrade using the best technology available today, it will continue to be a leader in cutting-edge television programming as we introduce the series to a new generation of viewers."

The most noticeable change will be redoing many of the special effects, created with 1960s technology, with 21st century computer-generated imagery (CGI). That includes:

• Space ship exteriors -- The space ship Enterprise, as well as other Starships, will be replaced with state of the art CGI-created ships. The new computer-generated Enterprise is based on the exact measurements of the original model, which now rests in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

• Show opening -- The Enterprise and planets seen in the main title sequence will be redone, giving them depth and dimension for the first time.

• Galaxy shots -- All the graphics of the galaxy, so frequently seen through the window on the Enterprise's bridge, will be redone.

• Exteriors -- The battle scenes, planets and ships from other cultures (notably the Romulan Bird of Prey and Klingon Battle Cruisers) will be updated.

• Background scenes -- Some of the iconic, yet flat, matte paintings used as backdrops for the strange, new worlds explored by the Enterprise crew will get a CGI face-lift, adding atmosphere and lighting.

The refurbished episodes also feature higher quality sound for the famous opening theme. The original score by Emmy Award-winning composer Alexander Courage has been re-recorded in state-of-the-art digital stereo audio with an orchestra and a female singer belting out the famous vocals. A digitally remastered version of William Shatner's classic original recording of the 38-word "Space, the final frontier…" monologue continues to open each episode.

The remastered episodes have been converted from the original film into a High-Definition format, which gives viewers a clearer, crisper, more vibrant picture than before, even when viewed in standard definition. Once stations upgrade and start broadcasting HD signals, the episodes will be all ready for viewers to enjoy in HD.

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES originally premiered on Sept. 8, 1966. Distributed by CBS Paramount Domestic Television, the series was created by Gene Roddenberry. The program stars William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk, Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, DeForest Kelley as Dr. "Bones" McCoy, James Doohan as Scotty, Walter Koenig as Chekov, Nichelle Nichols as Uhura and George Takei as Sulu.
Old 08-31-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
Well at least they came up with an explanation for the smooth headed Klingons in the 4th season of Enterprise. That will save them from some CGI work.
Thank god for the Reese-Stevenes and that episode--or it would probably be on the agenda.
Old 08-31-06, 06:27 PM

"digitally remastered episodes of the iconic 1960s sci-fi series, with all new special effects and music..."

It's so iconic that we're replacing much of it...

is it me...?

as Buffy would say, "Irony, much?"
Old 08-31-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will probably get flamed for this, but I think this makes sense. They going back to the film elements and upgrading them to HD. I am sure those old effects would look even worse in 1080i, and I think the CGI upgrades will help rather than hurt.
Old 08-31-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unlike most people in this thread I won't judge it until I see it. If its well done, I think it could be really cool. The thing about Star Wars is that most people only dislike the SE because of the few "big things" like greedo shooting first and the dance scene in Jedi. 98% of the changes in the Star Wars SE are for the better.
Check out the comparison on starwars.com , its amazing how much better the effects look, even small things like fixing clouds make it look better. I grew up on the originals and now have been watching the SEs and the new 2004 version. It was actually shocking to go back to the orginals.
Old 08-31-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read some time ago the updated Star Trek The Motion Picture's effects were only rendered at 480P. They aren't cheaping out here too are they?
Old 08-31-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
They shouldn't mess around with them...the reason STAR TREK: TOS holds up so well is because of the STORIES & CHARACTERS, not because of the effects. The best sci-fi has always been about people, never about technology.
As long as it's ship shots, that's fine. If it's replacing the Gorn with a CG Gorn, then there's a problem. The stories are still intact, it's just that Trek probably had a total of 20 beauty shots of the Enterprise that were used over and over again. I have no problems if it means the Kilingon Brid of Prey's or the Romulan Warbird don't look like Revell models.
Old 08-31-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by shaggy
Check out the comparison on starwars.com , its amazing how much better the effects look, even small things like fixing clouds make it look better. I grew up on the originals and now have been watching the SEs and the new 2004 version. It was actually shocking to go back to the orginals.
The other problem I had with the Star Wars re-vamp, replacing characters with digital creatures yet, they didn't fix the matte outlines on the tie fighters or the white/clear colored light sabres during the Vader/Obi-Wan duel. The ship shots, the city extensions, were all fine to me.
Old 08-31-06, 11:05 PM

I think is not just a good idea, but something very good for Star Trek.

I am a big fan of Star Trek, been watching Star Trek since I was 9, I own all the DVD sets, of the movies and of all the TV shows (excluding the Animated version).

There are two reason why I think this will be good.

1. It will give to life to Star Trek. I remember when Enterpreise got canned, alot of people said Star Trek was dead, and it needed something new to bring it to life. Well maybe giving CGI to the ST TOS would attrack other people, young people to Star Trek.

2. If this is successful, they might think of giving us all Star Trek series in HD. Now, I am not talking about new CGI, TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT, had good CGI, but only ENT was in HD. Because all of these series was made on film, this could be possible. And with Blue-Ray and HD DVD out, I know paramount will be releasing all the movies in HD.

That said, let may say one thing I dont like.....Star Trek 11. I dont think I want new caracters, or new actors playing younger caracters we know. And the idea of Spock and Kirk before Enterprise is aweful. We all know Spock met Kirk when he took over command of the enterprise. And no, they did not meet at Starfleet Academy !
Old 09-01-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look, the effects NEVER matched the quality of the stories. I, for one, would like to see some more realistic action. I'm sure Roddenbery wouldn't disagree.

The case is different with Star Wars - it never looked cheesy and it mostly didn't need to be revamped. Furthermore, some of the updated effects in Star Wars detracted from the film.

I imagine most real diehard Star Trek fans would love to see some new life pumped into this dying franchise.
Old 09-01-06, 03:37 AM

Most real diehard Star Trek fans would think changing it to be an abomination. Don't speak for "most fans" please, Wannabe. By looking at this thread alone, we can tell most fans here don't want it.
Old 09-01-06, 03:54 AM

I think most Trekkies would be all for this!
Old 09-01-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by emhello
I think most Trekkies would be all for this!
The special effects never bothered me because it was made in the 60s on a TV budget. The plots (well, except for a lot of the 3rd season), the show's message, and the trifecta of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are the things that matter. People who don't like the show simply because of the way it looks have no business watching it. But that's just my opinion!

As long as the original broadcast episodes are made available on future home video formats, then I have no problem with the upgrades. Yes, I will be tuning in when the new "Balance of Terror" airs.
Old 09-01-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally can't wait to see new versions of stuff like this:

also, here's a great follow up article at aint it cool news

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=24360
Old 09-01-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-01-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Chef

Those images are from another "proof of concept" demo done by Eden FX, which didn't get the contract to do the new effects.
http://trekmovie.com/2006/08/31/trek...-test-footage/
Old 09-01-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that. I'm just pointing out how good the cgi effects will probably be for the ship shots
Old 09-01-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I will probably get flamed for this, but I think this makes sense. They going back to the film elements and upgrading them to HD. I am sure those old effects would look even worse in 1080i, and I think the CGI upgrades will help rather than hurt.
One of the things they could've done is gone back to the original film elements for the effects and perform digital compositing on them. The Star Wars SEs did that for a lot of effects, and the end product is the same original effect, but in much better quality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.