Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Just finished Prison Break Season One

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished Prison Break Season One

It started out very good in the first two episodes, and Scofield getting his toes cut off was the moment that hooked me in for the ride.

After that though, you could tell the writers almost had no idea how to stretch this idea over 22 episodes. I know it started out as a six episode mini-series, then went to 13 without knowing if the other 9 would be ordered, and then finally the 9 being ordered. I think the show would have benefitted by started in January and only having 13 episodes. Alot of the 'they're going to get caught! NO, they just dodged the bullet, phew!' and 'OH NOES A NEW OBSTACLE IN THE WAY OF THEIR PLAN!' just felt like a bunch of filler.

The conspiracy crap. I'm a sucker for government conspiracy stuff, so when I heard PB had one, I was like 'cool, something else that can hook me', and it started out decent, but by about the sixth episode, I grew sick and tired of it. It was just too ridiculous. And, I hope season 2 opens with LJ getting shot in the damn head. What an annoying kid.

Overall though, I enjoyed it, seeing as I finished all 22 episodes in 3 days, which I think is the quickest I've ever finished a season on DVD. I just hope the writing improves now that they know there will be 22 episodes this season, and they can pace things out better.

As well, who is everybody's favorite character? I like Abruzzi. I was sad when
Spoiler:
he gets his throat slit thinking he might not come back and at his possible turn to Christ, but thank God they didn't go that way.
Abruzzi, FTW!
Old 08-12-06, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Couldn't agree more.
It's a decent show - not great.
Old 08-12-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wanted to catch this. Anyone know if it will be rerun or a marathon to prepare for the new season?
Old 08-12-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 3 episodes in, and I know I should just ignore it, but I'm having trouble suspending my disbelief. And it's only with a really small plot point.

I can accept the far out plot about him wanting to break his brother out, I can accept there's a conspiracy of some sorts brooding, I can accept that he was able to track down the mob guy who turned rat, I can accept all that.

The part I have trouble with is the diabetes thing. It might be because I'm type 1, but I just notice little things that any doctor worth her salt would question. He asked how a glucometer worked, eventhough he should have been using one for YEARS. He said he never got used to needles, although he would have had to inject himself 5 times a day for roughly 20 years, meaning over 35,000 injections. I think that's enough time to get used to it. Plus the syringes are small and don't hurt. Yes, the doctor did ask about it, but didn't really do anything to follow up on it, except give him the blood test, which they should have been doing 3-5 times a day already

I know it's just a little nit-picky thing, but it just sticks out to me so much.
Old 08-13-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Prison Break is the stupidest, most insipid and just flat-out retarded show I have ever seen.

Spoiler:
And God help me, I can't wait to see what happens second season...
Old 08-13-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alot of the 'they're going to get caught! NO, they just dodged the bullet, phew!' and 'OH NOES A NEW OBSTACLE IN THE WAY OF THEIR PLAN!' just felt like a bunch of filler.
Couldn't agree more. Absolutely loved the show at first, but as time went on it really became tedious to the point that I was close to dropping it. Then the finale hit, and I was drawn back in, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.
Old 08-13-06, 09:48 PM

I thought 24 was a guilty pleasure, then this show came around and hooked me in and I found I didn't even feel guilty over 24 anymore.
Old 08-13-06, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 2 DVDs in and it's holding my interest ok. I'm curious to see where they go w/ it but there is definately a lot of moments that are just a little too much to believe. I also agree the conspiracy aspect is probably the most tedious part of it but w/o that there wouldn't be much of a series now would there
Old 08-14-06, 01:02 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah you can tell it was stretched out

Great show, couldn't care about the out of the prison rubbish, just bogged the show down and was poorly done but the in prison stuff rocked
Old 08-14-06, 02:26 PM

I wonder how much cutting of the outside-the-prison stuff is possible without making the story incoherent - seems like a fun video editing project.
Old 08-14-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by lucasorion
I thought 24 was a guilty pleasure, then this show came around and hooked me in and I found I didn't even feel guilty over 24 anymore.
So true. 24 is like a documentary series compared to Prison Break. This show is often fun and often tedious. It was one of those shows that I thought about dropping a few times, but we all need to have some guilty pleasures in our lives. I just don't take it too seriously; just sit back and enjoy the ride. (And try not to snicker TOO much)