DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV show flubs/mistakes (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/473682-tv-show-flubs-mistakes.html)

Darknite39 08-05-06 04:04 PM

TV show flubs/mistakes

Hey,

As I was watching an episode of Magnum PI just now, I noticed that one of the episode's guest stars said "Tom" instead of "Magnum" when referring to the title character. I find it odd that (1) I never noticed this before and (2) the producers of the program evidently didn't catch it either [and (3) that I'm actually bored enough to make a thread about it].

Have you noticed any seemingly glaring mistakes in any of your favorite shows?

Mr. Salty 08-05-06 04:15 PM

That wasn't a flub. The character's full name was Thomas Magnum.

Darknite39 08-05-06 04:19 PM

rotfl

Wow. I guess not sleeping for a few days has taken its tole on me. I suppose I should delete this thread now, to save some face, but I guess I'll leave it up to see if anyone has noticed any real mistakes.

Palaver 08-05-06 04:49 PM

Yeah. I noticed in an episode of Cheers that someone called Woody Harrelson's character "Woody". Whoops!!!

Palaver 08-05-06 04:56 PM

On a more serious note...

Did anyone notice on Best Week Ever (100th Eppisode) this week, a picture of Pamela Anderson with her nipple exposed? It seemed pretty obvious to me, but the picture was a little grainy.

Darknite39 08-05-06 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
Yeah. I noticed in an episode of Cheers that someone called Woody Harrelson's character "Woody". Whoops!!!

For the record, I know that I'm an idiot, but when I heard the line I thought "Huh? That's his real name! (Tom Selleck)." I immediately paused the DVD and came here to post my "find."

Palaver 08-05-06 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Darknite39
For the record, I know that I'm an idiot, but when I heard the line I thought "Huh? That's his real name! (Tom Selleck)." I immediately paused the DVD and came here to post my "find."

Just giving ya a hard time. :)

For the record, I applaud you for leaving this thread up.

Xbox69 08-05-06 05:22 PM

My brother swears that there's a "Happy Days" scene where Joanie exclaims, (in speaking to her dad, Howard 'Mr. C.') "Oh, c'mon dad, it's the eighties! ('80s)".

I know the show began set in the '50s and this episode was sometime towards the show's end run. Had they abandoned the original time setting and just made the show contemporary?

calhoun07 08-06-06 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
My brother swears that there's a "Happy Days" scene where Joanie exclaims, (in speaking to her dad, Howard 'Mr. C.') "Oh, c'mon dad, it's the eighties! ('80s)".

I know the show began set in the '50s and this episode was sometime towards the show's end run. Had they abandoned the original time setting and just made the show contemporary?

I can't recall if they abandoned the time period, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it was set in the 50s for much of the last few seasons of the series. I think they abandoned a lot of the styles in clothing of the time, too. At least with That 70's Show, they managed to keep it feeling like it was set in the 70's for the entire run of the series.

alfredog1976 08-06-06 01:46 AM

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/ritter.asp

Mondo Kane 08-06-06 01:59 AM

How many can you count on SNL?

I'm not as frantic a viewer of it as I once was (Can't even tell if Horatio Sanz is busting up because of it anymore) but a few that come to mind:

-Eddie Murphy flubbing a line in a skit about the birth of peanut butter.
-"The Sensitive Naked Man", a skit with Rob Schneider as a nude man taking his son to a baseball game. As you might've expected, the kid forgets a line and Schneider had to (Obviously) ad-lib towards the end.

Slayer2005 08-06-06 02:12 AM

On a season 1 episode of 24 (forgot which one) there is a studio guy clearly in the frame when Bauer is supposed to be alone. I believe he was an audio guy. I didn't notice it the first time I saw it, but it was clear the second time when my best friend was going through the season with me. Pretty funny.

Charlie Goose 08-06-06 07:39 AM

On a Brady Bunch episode, I heard Maureen McCormick (Marcia) call Christopher Knight (Peter) by his real name instead of his character's name.

dstrauss 08-06-06 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
-Eddie Murphy flubbing a line in a skit about the birth of peanut butter.

Yeah, but the thing is that it actually makes the skit really funny as Murphy struggles to keep his composure. "Stop laughing before you'all make me smile!"

rw2516 08-06-06 11:32 AM

The Honeymooners Lost Episodes is full of flubs. The best is the one where Gleason/Ralph's fly is open. He notices and turns around to zip it up real quick.

JMLEWIS1 08-06-06 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
On a Brady Bunch episode, I heard Maureen McCormick (Marcia) call Christopher Knight (Peter) by his real name instead of his character's name.

I noticed this happen once too (I believe tjhey were all in their garage rehearing a dance, you could only see their feet under the garage door, but you could hear them all talking)

brainee 08-06-06 01:23 PM

"Dark Shadows" had tons of flubs (as would other soaps shot in the same way -- only time and money for 1 take -- I imagine, though I don't really watch them). Flubbed lines, crew and equipment caught on camera. One that I remember is when they had this old woman in some kind of gypsy fortune-teller role. She just completely blanked on the dialog, and you could hear someone off-scene (loudly) whispering each line of her dialog.

Quatermass 08-06-06 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by alfredog1976

That's just nuts!

I don't remember any big flubs, but I notice minor continuity errors all the time especially in these 3 areas:
1. drinks on a table - levels change when the shot changes because they are filmed at different times
2. cigarettes -same thing
3. car windows - in closeups windows are up and far away they are down or vice versa. This happens frequently on cop shows.

Charlie Goose 08-07-06 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1
I noticed this happen once too (I believe tjhey were all in their garage rehearing a dance, you could only see their feet under the garage door, but you could hear them all talking)

Yep, that's the one I was talking about.

obscurelabel 08-07-06 04:54 PM

IMO, I wouldn't count SNL and other live shows (Dark Shadows was live on tape) since the flub count would go into the thousands, and I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. If something got past editors and directors on a show that was taped or filmed and then edited for broadcast, that would be something to note.

gatoinfeliz 08-08-06 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
IMO, I wouldn't count SNL and other live shows (Dark Shadows was live on tape) since the flub count would go into the thousands, and I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. If something got past editors and directors on a show that was taped or filmed and then edited for broadcast, that would be something to note.

One many of you may have noticed is in an episode of Lost. Someone in these forums pointed out that if you pay really close attention in one of the landscape scenes with I think Kate in it, you see a car pass by.

resinrats 08-08-06 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
That's just nuts!

1. drinks on a table - levels change when the shot changes because they are filmed at different times

Food as well for the amount eaten. Sandwiches are funny when you see a character take a bite and a second later, the biten amount is back. I've even seen when a character hasn't take a bite yet but the sandwich has a chunk missing already.

Pointyskull 08-08-06 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
One many of you may have noticed is in an episode of Lost. Someone in these forums pointed out that if you pay really close attention in one of the landscape scenes with I think Kate in it, you see a car pass by.

It was actually a season two scene with Ana Lucia and an "other", just before
Spoiler:
she kills him
Can't remember which ep in particular, though.
A car is visible driving in the distance for a second or two. Funny stuff...

davidoflondon 08-09-06 08:21 AM

The 1960's science fiction series Star Trek had a couple.

In the episode Journey to Babel at the end Dr. McCoy is operating on Spock and Sarek. His hands are out of sight behind a medical scanner but you can clearly see smoke from the cigarette in his hand coming up from behind the scanner.

In the episode Space Seed as the crew board the sleeper ship and they find and go over to examine the pod Khan's in one of them (can't remember which) drops their phaser. Realising its in shot and the director hasn't called cut they visibly kick it out of shot.

In the 1980's sequel series Star Trek - The Next Generation there's a scene in the episode Symbiosis. This was the last episode Denise Crosby's filmed as a regular cast member (although it airs before Skin of Evil the episode where she "dies").

Towards the end of the episode Picard and Dr. Crusher are with Tasha Yar and Wesley in the cargo bay. Picard and Dr. Crusher are talking and walk out of the cargo bay leaving Yar/Wesley in the background. Just as the doors to the cargo bay start to close you can clearly see Denise leap up in the background and start waving goodbye to the audience.

milo bloom 08-09-06 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by davidoflondon
The 1960's science fiction series Star Trek had a couple.

In the episode Journey to Babel at the end Dr. McCoy is operating on Spock and Sarek. His hands are out of sight behind a medical scanner but you can clearly see smoke from the cigarette in his hand coming up from behind the scanner.

I always thought that was just from something being cauterized?