Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why would Tivo ever think I want to watch a movie dubbed in Spanish?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a huge deal, as I am getting rid of my system this week, but it has been a constant irritant. Tivo will record some movie, and I'll see it and on occasion I'll start to watch and it is from the Spanish HBO channel. Why in the world would it ever do that?

I know there is a devoted Tivo following, but overall I have been unimpressed with it. It just doesn't seem to smart.

I know you can adjust it so it won't record recommendations, but I have received a perverse pleasure in watching the kinds of stupid things it will decide to record. I can see why Directv quit using them in favor of their own DVR.
Old 07-25-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you gone into settings and edited the channels so that the Spanish HBO channel is marked as "one I don't receive"? Even though you do, it shouldn't record anything on that channel then.
Old 07-25-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I can see why Directv quit using them in favor of their own DVR.
Which, evidently, is a super-genius?
Old 07-25-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
que pasa?
Old 07-25-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Have you gone into settings and edited the channels so that the Spanish HBO channel is marked as "one I don't receive"? Even though you do, it shouldn't record anything on that channel then.
That's how I solved the problem.

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I know there is a devoted Tivo following, but overall I have been unimpressed with it. It just doesn't seem to smart.
It's just a machine Dave. I think it's the user's responsibility to supply the intelligence.

Last edited by MEJHarrison; 07-25-06 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-25-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
There's a separate HBO channel for Spanish now?? Do that many people not know how to use the SAP function, or did they demand their Spanish dubs in stereo, which you can't do on SAP?
I'm disappointed the Spanish TV networks never had an English translation on the SAP, I thought for sure that would happen.
Old 07-25-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like you picked a good time to move, DirectTV announced today that their HD DVR unit has been delayed (again) until later this year. From what I've read you can't get local HD and HD DVR until this unit ships.
Old 07-25-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I'm sorry Dave. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
Old 07-25-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
It looks like you picked a good time to move, DirectTV announced today that their HD DVR unit has been delayed (again) until later this year. From what I've read you can't get local HD and HD DVR until this unit ships.
Which is exactly why so far I have held off on upgrading to HD. And I even have an HD-ready set. I'd rather watch things analog on my own time rather than have to watch them live in HD.

And the very first thing I did to set up my DirecTivo was remove all the channels from my line-up like PPV, premium channels I don't receive, Spanish channels, religious channels, etc. Never had to worry about Tivo recording stuff I don't want that way and it makes browsing the channel list much easier.
Old 07-26-06, 01:54 PM

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.