Old 07-19-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well then the writers are dumb
Old 07-19-06, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yes, but in the last episode she said she was back..
Exactly.
Old 07-19-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

probably will get pissed at stabler again and leave
Old 07-19-06, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Just announced

Eric Bogosian
Thanks, I've updated the first post.

I like Eric Bogosian. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the show.
Old 07-19-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
Why do they not bring Logan back to the 27?!

They need to let Much and Finn take the lead on SVU for a few episodes and see ratings soar.

SVU's been way too light on Munch for way too long!
Old 07-19-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Amen.

While I like both, i'm getting weary of Meloni's anger management-needing, bulging-eyed Sabler. And, Mariska's very nice to look at, but Benson's been anything but compelling for the past couple of seasons. Like I said when it was announced that Nielson was coming aboard...why not give that screentime to Beltz or T?

And people complain about D'Onofrio on CI... At least CI was intended to be a vehicle for D'Onofrio. When SVU started out, they had a pretty fair balance for all of the characters. That's not the case anymore..
Old 07-19-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I grew very tired of Stabler this past season. I think SVU took a major step backwards this past season - it was far too character-driven.
Old 07-20-06, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I grew very tired of Stabler this past season. I think SVU took a major step backwards this past season - it was far too character-driven.
Since when is "being character driven" a step back??

They need to let Much and Finn take the lead on SVU for a few episodes and see ratings soar.
Please God, no.
Old 07-20-06, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Since when is "being character driven" a step back??
You should read the New York Times article that's linked to in the first post. It's very good.

It's a step back, because that's not what Law & Order has ever been about.

Originally Posted by The New York Times
One element of “Law & Order” that sets it apart from many of its competitors is Mr. Wolf’s insistence that the show limit references to the main characters’ back stories, to keep the focus on the crime du jour. Thus over the course of 12 seasons viewers have learned little about Mr. Waterston’s McCoy beyond passing references to his love of the Chicago Bulls, his divorce and his daughter. Mr. Wolf noted that on “NYPD Blue,” by contrast, Dennis Franz’s Andy Sipowicz, an alcoholic, lost a wife and son to violence.

“Those shows had to keep raising the bar,” he said. “When you flirt with getting into much more character-driven stuff, you end up having to go higher and higher to get the same effect. It’s like drugs.”
Old 07-20-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

What the NYT says. It is the same problem with Without a Trace. The key to crime procedurals is to know what makes them work well - the story of the crime and investigation. One reason why CSI has remained on top of its game - very few personal stories.
Old 07-20-06, 04:06 PM

Sipowicz also lost a partner and had prostate cancer. They really poured it on. Me? I think the L&O stuff is running its course. I never did like SUV that much, still pissed off about "Homicide." I'm glad Julianne Nicholson's going to be on CI I will watch that...
Old 07-20-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is Farina leaving? I liked Fontana.
Old 07-21-06, 03:49 AM

Wow... i've really been behind the times. I was wondering what was going to happen to the shows this year and I must say i'm encouraged by most (not all) the changes.

I've been watching the original L&O since about the 3rd season and thru repeats have seen nearly every episode. Just some random thoughts.

I have seen chemistry with every police partner pairing since the Dzundza/Noth days and it's always been there EXCEPT for the pairing of Fontana and Greene? I have to admit that I did not think they worked well? Most definitely the least effective pairing of cops. It is past time they introduced a female detective into the squad and i'm very curious as to what will be Greene's and Van Buren's reactions in the squad and how she'll react to them.

I have long held the belief that Jack McCoy's character has exhausted what it can do. I still like Waterstone but i've always felt that an infusion of fresh blood as lead prosecutor wouldn't hurt. However it's always the assistants that leave. Having said that I felt Borga's character was alright but not essential. There hasn't really been any strong chemisty between McCoy and the assistants since Jaime Ross left. I am pleased also that they have finally cast a hispanic actress as an assistant ADA. I think this gives the show a potential to address some very different issues and perspectives it's not handled before.

On SVU which is the best of the 3 shows my only suprise is that this show has not had the turnover of the original. The change of prosecution is basically the only change since season two outside the addition of the Huang character. However Mariska is my heart but i'll settle for her missing 6 episodes.

On CI i'll be the first to admit that Goren' has about gotten on my last nerves. I was too happy when they introduced the 2 cast system. That helped make the show more than a one trick pony. The departure of Jamey Sheridan and Courtney Vance is negliable as neither were essential. It'll be good to see some new faces and see how they interact with the established characters. I think Bogosian has the chance to effect the show in a positive way such as the Arthur Branch character does with the original. It will be interesting to see Nona Gaye's character too. Hopefully she'll have much more to do than Carver. The character of Mike Logan has always been my favorite character from the original and I was pleased to have him back. I must confess a sadness for losing the Annabella Sciorra character as I rather liked her but i'll admit the chemistry was not there between the two of them.

All in all i'm pleased with the cast changes. I just hope that the chemisty between the casts is evident.

Outside of 24 these shows are my favorites and i'll be posted right in front of the television for all 3!

Last edited by davcole; 07-21-06 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-21-06, 04:02 AM

His biggest contribution to L&O was when he played the stock-broker murderer in an original L&O episode - great villian.

Agreed, that was a great role!!
Old 07-21-06, 01:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
When are they going to start replacing the female cops with bull dykes to make the show closer to reality? C’mon enough of the beauty queens!
Old 07-21-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Duran
Why is Farina leaving? I liked Fontana.
Work on other projects & his production company.
Old 07-30-06, 11:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Maybe NBC should just put this show out of its misery

None Gaye out of "Criminal Intent"
Sunday July 30 10:41 PM ET

Actress Nona Gaye has left the cast of NBC's "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" shortly after she signed on to play the new assistant district attorney.

Sources cited creative differences for Gaye's hasty exit, which occurred soon after production began on the crime drama's sixth season.

Gaye, the daughter of late soul icon Marvin Gaye, was quickly replaced by Theresa Randle, whose first day on the set is expected to be Tuesday. Her deal covers just three episodes, with an option to continue on the show as a regular.

The ADA role was played by Courtney B. Vance for the series' first five seasons.

Randle will co-star alongside Vincent D'Onofrio, Chris Noth and Kathryn Erbe as well as the other new cast additions for next season, Eric Bogosian and Julianne Nicholson.

In addition to Vance, Jamey Sheridan and Annabella Sciorra also exited the series after the end of last season.

"Criminal Intent" marks Randle's first major TV series commitment. On the big screen, she starred in the "Bad Boys" films, "Girl 6" and "Spawn."
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20060730...zaNFvSsvSRsVoB

Theresa Randle
Old 07-31-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read this on CNN. I never liked this show anyway
Old 07-31-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Farina gone - sounds good to me, I might actually start watching L&O again. I caught a couple of his eps, and maybe it was whomever he was partnered with, but they just didn't have any charisma together. Not like Orbach and his string of partners did.

SVU... they need to get rid of Stabler. Have something happen to one of his kids, and the perp walks. Stabler goes nuts, kills the perp, and becomes a recurring vigilante that they're trying to track down.

As for the show being character driven and such, I remember when TNT first picked it up for syndication, and they would run small interview clips in the commercials. The one that stood out was Orbach saying that the appeal of the show was that they didn't get into the character's personal lives. Yeah, right. That lasted what... one or two seasons?

Anyhow, when are we getting more L&O on DVD?
Old 07-31-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
The one that stood out was Orbach saying that the appeal of the show was that they didn't get into the character's personal lives. Yeah, right. That lasted what... one or two seasons?

Jerry is right. They very rarely do on the original, and when they do, it is more tangential. For example, the episode Under the Influence when McCoy was going full tilt trying to get a murder conviction against a drunk driver killer after seeing what the drunk who killed Claire got.

Now SVU is whole different ballgame.
Old 07-31-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jerry is right. They very rarely do on the original, and when they do, it is more tangential. For example, the episode Under the Influence when McCoy was going full tilt trying to get a murder conviction against a drunk driver killer after seeing what the drunk who killed Claire got.

Now SVU is whole different ballgame.
Nah, they quickly got into their personal lives. Lennie's kid becoming a junkie and getting murdered, the one partner cheating on his wife. Maybe that changed back after I stopped watching post-Orbach, but when i watched there was always stuff about their personal lives. Granted, nowhere near as bad as SVU, though.

I'd say L&O is the median between SVU, where they heavily explore the character's home lives (at least Stabler's) and CI where I believe it's rarely if ever brought up.
Old 08-02-06, 10:01 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Eric Bogosian - STAR OF UNDER SIEGE 2: DARK TERRITORY

the L&O Casting sucks. 2 clone women and no DENNIS FARINA!
Old 08-03-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Why are Dennis Farina, Courtney B. Vance, Jamey Sheridan and Annabella Sciorra leaving? For that matter, why did Annie Parisse leave? I was starting to like her character when they suddenly bumped her off.