Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Amazing Screw-on Head" (Mike Mignola cartoon on SciFi)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 10:19 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

http://www.scifi.com/amazingscrewonhead/

In this hilarious send-up of Lovecraftian horror and steampunk adventure, President Abraham Lincoln's top spy is a bodyless head known only as Screw-On Head.

When arch-fiend Emperor Zombie steals an artifact that will enable him to threaten all life on Earth, the task of stopping him is assigned to Screw-on Head. Fortunately, Screw-On Head is not alone on this perilous quest. He is aided by his multitalented manservant, Mr. Groin, and by his talking canine cohort, Mr. Dog.

Can this unorthodox trio stop Emperor Zombie in time? Does Screw-On Head have a body awesome enough to stop the horrors that have been unleashed? Where can we get a talking dog?

All these questions (O.K., maybe not that last one) will be answered when you watch the thrilling tale of The Amazing Screw-On Head!
I'm at my in-laws right now and they don't have SciFi, but I stumbled across this on an animation forum and found it to be something of interest.

You can watch the pilot on the website... but my in-law's lousy internet connection is bugging out whenever I try to watch it.

Take a look and tell me what you think.
Old 07-17-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SciFi has it on their station schedule for 07/27 if you prefer to watch it that way.

I'm a big fan of Mike Mignola, his art, and his storytelling, so obviously I liked this quite a bit. I don't know how long it would last as a series, but I would certainly check it out.

There's also a short survey essentially asking if you would watch it on a weekly basis. If the answer is "yes", please fill it out. If "no", forget I said anything.
Old 07-17-06, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked it, so I answered positively on the survey.

The way that Lincoln speaks to Head at the beginning had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe, and Emperor Zombie's dialogue was great.
Old 01-26-07, 02:12 PM
Banned

I didn't know about this until a couple of weeks ago, at which point I went "".

What ever happened? Was the response not positive enough to make a show of this? Why do they greenlight crap and then require approval from fans (a lot of whom were unaware of it, like me, I bet) in advance before producing a few more episodes?

WTF???

Oh well. At least there's one episode of it. (There was only one issue, so I guess that fits. )

Last edited by Kudama; 01-26-07 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's still on my TiVo, and it is awesome. I also had bought the comic back in the day
Old 01-26-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I accidentally caught a re-run of this on Sci-Fi about a month after it originally aired. I thought I'd stumbled across some new show that Sci-Fi Channel and I was like "WOW!" and rushed over to DVDTalk to see if anyone else was talking about it. That's when I figured out it was a month old pilot. That was about 6 months ago, I guess if Sci-Fi was going to make it into a series, we'd have heard something before now. Too bad.
Old 01-26-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On DVD 02/06/07

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Screw-...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 01-27-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty cool, I wonder if that means maybe Sci-Fi Channel hasn't completely abandoned the idea? Even as a one-off, it was a good show, so I'll probably pick it up and support a worthy cause.
Old 01-27-07, 08:07 AM
Banned

You can check it out right now!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Warning! This leaked footage will make you salivate for this show.This basically made me take it off my Netflix queue and buy it toot sweet. Now I regret getting it online because I want it right now. This was awesome! Paul Giamatti was goddamn brilliant. He really put his chops into the voice acting. And I don't think I've ever enjoyed David Hyde Pierce's voice more. (Abe Sapien rocks, but this was frikkin' hilarious.)

I really wish they had gone this route with the animated Hellboy (visually speaking).

Spoiler:
"Time for the horror!"
"I can't allow that!"