DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   World Series of Pop Culture - VH1 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/471279-world-series-pop-culture-vh1.html)

CPA-ESQ. 07-11-06 08:23 AM

World Series of Pop Culture - VH1

Was flipping through the channels and caught this show and was hooked!

Fast paced, great questions, good contestants.

Anyone else catch this?

We should have set up a DVD Talk Team :)

world series of pop culture

Canis Firebrand 07-11-06 09:17 AM

Has it started? I saw a preview on VH-1 while watching another show on that channel.

Looked like a lot of fun.

Aislematt 07-11-06 09:28 AM

I thought the show was pretty good. I love pop culture questions so it is definetly right up my alley.

On a different note, did anyone notice how they ruined the second winner during the last commercial? They said "previously on world series of pop culture these two teams won" showing the teams. I found that pretty funny.

cdollaz 07-11-06 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Aislematt
I thought the show was pretty good. I love pop culture questions so it is definetly right up my alley.

On a different note, did anyone notice how they ruined the second winner during the last commercial? They said "previously on world series of pop culture these two teams won" showing the teams. I found that pretty funny.

That spoiler preview was weak.

Count Dooku 07-12-06 12:47 AM

The questions are too easy.

Matthew Chmiel 07-12-06 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

Not during the audition they were, because if they were as easy as they're right now, The Cunning Lingusts would be currently kicking ass.

Joeboo835 07-12-06 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

i agree 100%

Draven 07-12-06 08:59 AM

I was surprised about the questions too. I watched the first episode, and there were a few I didn't know off-hand. But there were several the contestants didn't know that I did. I definitely could have competed on the show.

I wonder how hard the preliminary rounds were.

Kal-El 07-12-06 09:11 AM

Saw it last night and that was great calling out the answers as I'm watching.

lotsofdvds 07-12-06 09:22 AM

It's a good show... I just blogged about it. Glad to see others catching it as well.

cdollaz 07-12-06 10:54 PM

My early favorite and favorite team are Almost Perfect Strangers. They didn't miss a question tonight. Can't stand the plump blond girl from I Heart Jake Ryan. Their whole team is annoying.

Charlie Goose 07-13-06 02:36 PM

For a game show about cool movies, music, TV, etc., this show is surprisingly dull. And I do agree about the questions, I knew every answer. Either the questions are too easy, or my life is too sad.

SPiRAL 07-13-06 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
My early favorite and favorite team are Almost Perfect Strangers. They didn't miss a question tonight. Can't stand the plump blond girl from I Heart Jake Ryan. Their whole team is annoying.

Dude, quit reading my mind. That's exactly the way I feel. I also thought the same thing as you, for that football trick play thread.

Matthew Chmiel 07-13-06 04:03 PM

All the teams I have liked have already gotten their asses defeated. I would've liked to see Laser Wolves and Men of Vision move onto the next round.

A majority of the teams that have moved on I have hated. The Velvet Rope Revolution, Cheetara, and I Heart Jake Ryan got on my last nerve.

gotrice487 07-13-06 04:05 PM

I can't wait until I <3 Jake Ryan gets the boot!

nny 07-13-06 04:57 PM

I usually find the 6th question to be a lot harder than the others. It seems a little unfair to the person that goes second. Last night though, the difficulty level seemed off. For instance, I think the first question of the night was for a character name from Top Gun. Questions about specific details from a movie seem so much harder to me than basic filmography questions.

joefrog91 07-13-06 07:29 PM

The questions are too easy. The only questions I didn't know where the reality tv show questions because I don't watch that crap. I can't believe the contestants are having a hard time with the tie-breaker questions. I mean come on.

SPiRAL 07-14-06 12:21 AM

The oldest sister from WWWWTA is fuckin annoying. Great show bythe way. I agree with most, that the questions are too easy, at least for this round of the tourny.

Is it me, or does the host sound like Jeff Goldblum ?

cdollaz 07-14-06 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL

Is it me, or does the host sound like Jeff Goldblum ?

He looks like the Newsradio guy.

Jimmy James 07-14-06 08:39 AM

He looks like the Newsradio guy.

I don't really see that, particularly if you have seen Dave Foley lately.

He looks like one of the New Main Street Singers from A Mighty Wind to me.

Matthew Chmiel 07-14-06 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't really see that, particularly if you have seen Dave Foley lately.

He looks like one of the New Main Street Singers from A Mighty Wind to me.

I don't think he looks like John Michael Higgins (also known as Wayne Jarvis on the greatest sitcom in the past five years)...

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0452594/07405.jpg

Jimmy James 07-14-06 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I don't think he looks like John Michael Higgins (also known as Wayne Jarvis on the greatest sitcom in the past five years)...

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0452594/07405.jpg

I actually meant one of those people in the generic, as in I think he would fit right in.

Shemp 07-14-06 11:06 PM

I think most of the questions are easy precisely because its the first round. If they don't get harder as the competition progresses, then I'll be disappointed.

As an aside, I was watching the match featuring 'Men of Vision' and realized one of those guys was at my wedding! Truly a surreal moment when you're watching a game show and say, 'Hey! That's Eric!'

clemente 07-15-06 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shemp
I think most of the questions are easy precisely because its the first round. If they don't get harder as the competition progresses, then I'll be disappointed.

As an aside, I was watching the match featuring 'Men of Vision' and realized one of those guys was at my wedding! Truly a surreal moment when you're watching a game show and say, 'Hey! That's Eric!'

The second round started last night...the question were just as easy.

cdollaz 07-15-06 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by clemente
The second round started last night...the question were just as easy.

Yeah, but at least the I Heart Jake Ryan blond girl with the bitter piss face was eliminated.