Reload this Page >

World Series of Pop Culture - VH1

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

World Series of Pop Culture - VH1

Old 07-21-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoffreyL
I could only come up with three ABBA songs.
I knew 5 of them. How gay is that.
Old 07-27-06, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to thank VH1 for ruining one of the semifinal matches by not showing the full 2nd match with 2 players on each team remaining and then showing a promo for the finals (and naming which teams are competing).
Old 07-27-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MFRONE
I want to thank VH1 for ruining one of the semifinal matches by not showing the full 2nd match with 2 players on each team remaining and then showing a promo for the finals (and naming which teams are competing).
I watched the show at 11am and the promo they aired didn't mention who was making it to the finals (or I just wasn't paying attention)?
Old 07-27-06, 10:15 PM

Yeah I noticed that too. It will make the end to the 2nd match a little anti-climatic now.
Old 07-27-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dumb asses. At least the second time they have spoiled the outcome of a match.
Old 07-28-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw that also and I was pissed that they ruined it for us. MTV does that a lot with the Real World. The commercial before the last segment, when they do the challenge/guantlet/??, they will show clips from the next show and include whoever won that challenge/guantlet/??. Doesn't anyone watch the promos to make sure nothing is given away for the viewers?
Old 07-28-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other thing they screwed up was the play at home commercial. On the show they asked the question "What was the name of the stoner guy in Fast Times At Ridgemont High?". Answer Jeff Spicoli, which the contestant got right. Later in the show they run a commercial saying viewers at home can play along. The question is "What was the name of the stoner guy in Fast Times At Ridgemont High?". Call the number and they will text you back the options for the name of the stoner guy.

Unless I mis-understood the commercial and they were just using that as an example it just didn't make any sense.
Old 08-04-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the best team won. The guy on El Chupacabra wasn't overly strong, but the 2 girls were very strong. The tall, just engaged guy didn't take over as he had been doing. Pretty good show, I'd like to see it come back, but with more teams.
Old 08-06-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even like U2 but I could name about 7-8 U2 albums.

This entertained me...I'll allow it to continue.

CFG Caesar
Old 07-12-07, 09:10 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any of you playing the trivia dome? I sucked the first couple times I played, but I just got 20 tonight.

I seem to remember really disliking El Chupacabra last season so it was good to see them go down tonight. It was also fun to watch Real/Spectacular be so pathetically bad.
Old 07-12-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved El Chupacabra last year. Sure, they were annoying. They beat that really particularly super annoying team in the final, though. If El Chupacabra was made up of Satan, Richard Nixon, and John Wayne Gacy, I would have still preferred them to the other option at the end of last year's tourney.

I really didn't mind seeing them lose tonight, but the really notable thing was that the categories in their matchup were perfect for me. It was like that episode of Cheers where Cliff goes on Jeopardy. It was pathetic how bad both teams were at most of the categories.

So far, I can't say that too many of the really annoying teams have won. I might not loathe either team in the finals this time around.
Old 07-13-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
glad someone bumped this thread. where do they get these people? How do they not know this stuff? is it done that way intentionally to make viewers at home feel more intelligent?

Did anyone see the episode with the "White Russians" from kentucky? One of the categories was "Songs from the 80's". The girl from the team goes up (she did not have to). They had to hear the year of the song, then some lyrics - then they had to name the song.

She gets: 1982 (and then some lyrics from When Doves Cry).

She stalls, then says, "um, i was only 2", with a sheepish look on her face.

She then says the same thing with another one (answer was "every little thing she does is magic")

This pissed me off for a few reasons -

1) Who doesn't know those songs?

2) These people are supposed to be great at pop culture, but then they make age excuses? Pop culture knowledge should not be restricted by your age.

3) what the hell did she think the questions would be? It was a category called "Songs of the 80's"!

probably the most disturbing aspect of the show this year, besides the hideousness of that chick from "Jammin' on the 1".
Old 07-13-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to post the same thing Big Boy. I was born in 1968 but I still know a lot about movies & music from all different decades.

As far as the show goes it's been pretty good. I get about 85-95% right when it comes to movies, TV, and pop/rock music but when they do questions with rap lyrics I am completely lost. It was funny when the guy asked the announcer to read the lyrics a second time even though he had no clue what the song was, it was the category about girl's butts in music.

Bob
Old 07-13-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was really surprised those two guys weren't up on their Arnold movies. Arnold films are widely popular in pop culture.
Old 07-13-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do great in most of the categories. When they have anything about music made after 1986, I'm lucky if I get 1 out of 6.
Old 07-13-07, 01:02 PM

yeah, JCWBob, if i have one weak area in pop culture, it would be rap music. I just don't listen to enough of it.
Old 07-13-07, 03:38 PM

just watched the one from last night. again, another perfect example. The girl from Fragilay didn't know that wayne and garth say "Shwing!"

how can someone not know that? seriously!
Old 07-13-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Minor point that annoys me a wee bit:

When some contestants have to begin their answer with, "That would be ______"
Old 07-14-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 151 Posts
We watched the entire First Round eps last night, and I was surprised that I knew about 80% of the answers.

Maybe we should get a team together for next year.
Old 07-14-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Maybe we should get a team together for next year.
I'm pretty sure we could come up with some really good team names.
Old 07-18-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone see this last night (could have been a repeat) where the category was hits of 2006. I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time because its such a sign of how complete garbage some music is today.
Old 07-18-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Anyone see this last night (could have been a repeat) where the category was hits of 2006. I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time because its such a sign of how complete garbage some music is today.
Yeah, it was great! The category was "Party Like It's 2006" and it consisted of the lyrics of Pop Hits of 2006 where the song name was the answer.

Spoiler:
First time in WSoPC that the contestants didn't know a single answer in the category.
Old 07-18-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yeah, it was great! The category was "Party Like It's 2006" and it consisted of the lyrics of Pop Hits of 2006 where the song name was the answer.
I listen to a fair amount of music, but I've always found those type of categories are the hardest. Something about hearing the lyrics without the music is odd
Old 07-18-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I listen to a fair amount of music, but I've always found those type of categories are the hardest. Something about hearing the lyrics without the music is odd
Agreed. I'm a Weird Al fan and the category they had in the previous round with Weird Al's lyrics and you have to come up with the original song was even hard for me.

Of course, the host's deadpan delivery of the lyrics for any song can't help anyone recognize the song.
Old 07-18-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It didn't help that the songs/artists in the category are absolute shit and who listens to that shit anyway?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.