B3:
Storm: 'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd
Dilana: 'I Want You to Want Me' by Cheap Trick
Lukas: 'Headspin'

Eliminated: Storm
Old 09-06-06, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BDLOU
I finally figured out who Storm reminds me of and it was right in front of me. She is basically a female version of T. Lee. I'll have to say her original was pretty good. It was catchy. She did butcher Suffragette City though. Magni might just be the best cover singer I have ever seen. He's been able to adapt his voice to any artist. I loved his two lines last night "I'm an angry little man" and "because they were both sung by me". I hope that Dilana goes tonight. She seemed reserved to that fact last night with her speech before her original. I think Toby is the perfect fit for the band.
Just last week I figured out who Storm reminds me of... Stockard Channing. I'm serious.
Old 09-06-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Spoiler:
Really? I can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this choice.
Old 09-06-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
ha ha, i forgot about that "Ctrl-Alt-Del" thing. that was hilarious.
Old 09-06-06, 04:33 PM

Spoiler:
Yes storm is gone. I can actually keep my ears open from know on.

Last edited by Jadzia; 09-06-06 at 04:41 PM. Reason: ADDED SPOILER TAGS. Do not post spoilers without spoiler tags!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Not really surprised who is eliminated today:

Spoiler:

Encore: Toby
Supernova Song: Magni

B3:
Storm: 'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd
Dilana: 'I Want You to Want Me' by Cheap Trick

Eliminated: Storm
Well might as well read this since LOW decided to ruin it for everyone.

What a bizzare choice by
Spoiler:
loukas to sing his original again. We got it, it's not that great. And this shows that his preparation and work ethic are severely questionable, which cannot bode well. I seriously believe the fix is in
Old 09-06-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was Jason Newsted crying when Storm performed "Wish you were here?" Coulda sworn I saw some tears on him. Really really can not stand to hear Dilana sing, and just my luck my DVR caught up to live and I couldn't fast forward and I was forced to listen to her sing.
Toby is looking like a winner to me...or Magni...just don't think Loukas fits..and I cant understand a word he says..
Old 09-06-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still think Toby is the best fit for the best, and I think I've thought that way since the 1st or 2nd week of the show.
Old 09-06-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jadzia

I think she was just trying to complete her Pirate look, Arrgh!

Don't even mention that no-talent drama queen in conjunction with a johnny depp photo. You're besmirching Johnny who, unlike Dilana, looks good as a pirate and probably sings a bit better.

I hope to god she gets the boot to the head tonight.
Old 09-06-06, 08:25 PM

dilana was again the worst of the bottom 3, yet she stays.

yeah, jason was tearing up, and storm was, too. i thought she did a really good job with it, while dilana BUTCHERED her song. but maybe jason was tearing up cause he already knew they'd be sending her home.

say what you will about storm, but she is a hell of a performer. very entertaining. to me, she just needs to strengthen her vocal chords, and stop being so dude-like .

yes, weird choice by lukas, but i still like the chorus to the song. but i agree that it may say something about his work ethic. interesting point.
Old 09-06-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Was Jason Newsted crying when Storm performed "Wish you were here?" Coulda sworn I saw some tears on him. Really really can not stand to hear Dilana sing, and just my luck my DVR caught up to live and I couldn't fast forward and I was forced to listen to her sing.
Toby is looking like a winner to me...or Magni...just don't think Loukas fits..and I cant understand a word he says..
I cry everytime I hear Storm sing. She butchers just about every song she does and I'm sure she will give us another Cromulently craptacular cover tonight. Too bad it's one of my favorite pink floyd songs. It's time for Roger Waters to have her killed. It's a mercy killing.
Old 09-06-06, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by lookslikeme
I also agree with someone's early assumption that they've already picked a winner, and planted them on the show. I suspected that INXS did that with J.D. from the first episode. Final four for this season will be Toby, Lukas, Magni, and Dilana. I think Magni and his Icelandic band are already signed to a US contract on either Supernova's label, or one of the guy's in the band has a connection through their agent/management.
Somebody here is a goddamn genius!!!!!

Oh wait, it's me.

I was wrong about Zayra, and Ryan though.
Old 09-06-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by megashock5
Just last week I figured out who Storm reminds me of... Stockard Channing. I'm serious.

I can see that.
Old 09-06-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dilana's song made me think of one of those novelty/joke remakes like the bluegrass version of Gin and Juice by Hayseed Dixie.

Last edited by Cory02; 09-06-06 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cory02
Dilana's song made me think of one of those novelty/joke remakes like the bluegrass version of Gin and Juice.
Actually, it reminded me of Propagandhi's cover of Cheap Trick's I Want You To Want Me off the How to Clean Everything album.
Old 09-07-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
I finally figured out who Storm reminds me of and it was right in front of me. She is basically a female version of T. Lee. I'll have to say her original was pretty good. It was catchy. She did butcher Suffragette City though. Magni might just be the best cover singer I have ever seen. He's been able to adapt his voice to any artist. I loved his two lines last night "I'm an angry little man" and "because they were both sung by me". I hope that Dilana goes tonight. She seemed reserved to that fact last night with her speech before her original. I think Toby is the perfect fit for the band.

Actually, Storm has always reminded me of a Hulk-ed out on steriods version of Amanda Bynes. They have the same eyes.
Old 09-07-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
dilana was again the worst of the bottom 3, yet she stays.

yeah, jason was tearing up, and storm was, too. i thought she did a really good job with it, while dilana BUTCHERED her song. but maybe jason was tearing up cause he already knew they'd be sending her home.
Oh did she ever. Also didn't like how she said "I've haven't done a punk rock song yet" - and then does a Cheap Trick cover. Now granted, her version may have been punked up a bit, but as a long time Cheap Trick fan, I've NEVER considered them punk. That, and the fact that she claimed to be unfamiliar with the Who's original verison of "Behind Blue Eyes" really calls into question her musical integrity/knowledge with classic rock. Pretty pathetic when you're on a show called ROCKSTAR.

say what you will about storm, but she is a hell of a performer. very entertaining. to me, she just needs to strengthen her vocal chords, and stop being so dude-like .
Never had a problem with Storm, either, but not surpised she went last night.
Old 09-07-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Oh did she ever. Also didn't like how she said "I've haven't done a punk rock song yet" - and then does a Cheap Trick cover. Now granted, her version may have been punked up a bit, but as a long time Cheap Trick fan, I've NEVER considered them punk. That, and the fact that she claimed to be unfamiliar with the Who's original verison of "Behind Blue Eyes" really calls into question her musical integrity/knowledge with classic rock. Pretty pathetic when you're on a show called ROCKSTAR.
That's because she wasn't doing a Cheap Trick song. She was doing a cover of Propagandhi's cover of Cheap Trick. That's why she called it punk. Just like she wasn't familiar with The Who's Behind Blue Eyes, but Limp Bizkit's.

Go ahead, sample track 12 of this album released in 1994 and compare it to Dilana's "arrangement".
http://www.amazon.com/How-Clean-Ever...e=UTF8&s=music
Old 09-07-06, 11:30 AM

don't really like that cover that much, but if that's what she was going for, she STILL butchered it.
Old 09-07-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
don't really like that cover that much, but if that's what she was going for, she STILL butchered it.
Can't argue with that, but I thought the same thing when she said "punk" and "cheap trick" in the same sentence. Then it started, and I instantly recognized it. I just wish I could have been there to call her out on it
Old 09-07-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
That's because she wasn't doing a Cheap Trick song. She was doing a cover of Propagandhi's cover of Cheap Trick. That's why she called it punk. Just like she wasn't familiar with The Who's Behind Blue Eyes, but Limp Bizkit's.

Go ahead, sample track 12 of this album released in 1994 and compare it to Dilana's "arrangement".
http://www.amazon.com/How-Clean-Ever...e=UTF8&s=music

Regardless, it's still a Cheap Trick song, no matter who's cover 'version' arrangement of it she's doing.

Dillana said - and this is a direct quote - " I've never once done a punk rock song on the show. So, I'm gonna do a Cheap Trick song for you guys." Thus implying that she thinks of Cheap Trick as 'punk rock'. Maybe that's not what she meant, but had she been more clear, and stated that she was doing a "punk rock arrangement of a Cheap Trick song", then it would be a different story. But that's not what she did.

Either way, it was still pretty terrible. I've heard many covers of this song, and different versions of it, too - from Letters To Cleo to Dwight Yokham to Chris Isaak and so on - and I've come to the conclusion that NOBODY does the song better than the live version (the one most people are familiar with) that Trick did it on At Budokan.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-07-06 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I've come to the conclusion that NOBODY does the song better than the live version (the one most people are familiar with) that Trick did it on At Budokan.
Amen. No doubt about it.
Old 09-07-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Toby: the only one i really like
2. Lukas: but i would get so sick of hearing him over and over...no way would i buy the album
3. Magni: im bored
4. Dilana: annoying personality...im bored
Old 09-07-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it reminded me of Propagandhi's cover of Cheap Trick's I Want You To Want Me off the How to Clean Everything album.
I'm dancing because of the Propagandi shout out.
Old 09-07-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't argue with that, but I thought the same thing when she said "punk" and "cheap trick" in the same sentence. Then it started, and I instantly recognized it. I just wish I could have been there to call her out on it
I missed the show last night, but I think I would have thrown heavy objects at the tv in hopes of bludgeoning her on the head. Seriously, Dilana needs to go back to music appreciation class and listen to all the originals she's butchering, and then look up the definition of punk, and then explain why the hell she'd call Cheap Trick punk.

Granted, they probably played a chord or two more than your average punk band, but they're about as punk as REM.

I really loathe Dilana lately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.