Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Television producer Aaron Spelling dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
All right, I guess I will touch on this with some what of a serious reply. His IMDB.com page is really a testament to this man's tenacity. And while reading the news about him on sitcomsonline.com, it's true that the list of his failed shows seems longer than the lists of his hit shows, but the fact that he got them on the air says A LOT for this man. It was something magical, even when a series of his might only last as season, and something that will unlikely be repeated anytime soon. And I will dare ask what are you doing with your life that will even come close to what Aaron Spelling achieved? Most of us would be so lucky to have a fraction of his success. And, yes, he is a SUCCESS, even if most of his shows failed. Most of the creative output of a lot of artists falls by the wayside, and it's only a few shining gems that they created that are remembered after they are gone, but at least we got the shining gems to cherish.
I don't give a flying frick about his hit shows (or his "duds" either for that matter), because large ratings definately don't equal quality entertainment. He (or rather his production company) specialized in simple shows, with simple characters and simple scripts - all to lure in the intellectually challenged of America. Do I envy a man who'd rather sell crap to earn the big bucks instead of making thoughtful masterpieces and earning less? No, absolutely not.
Old 06-26-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, because TV is full of "thoughtful masterpieces."

Sorry if his shows failed to challenge you intellectually, but I don't think anybody expected them to. That's like saying Stan Lee created crap because he spent his best years creating pop culture figures like Spider Man and Hulk and X-Men instead of writing serious literature. What a pompus attitude to take to put down anybody because something is not a "thoughtful masterpiece." If anything, time has proven that some of Aaron Spelling's more popular shows are just in as much demand today as when they originally aired. And long after you are dead, Aaron Spelling shows will be remembered. And so will Stan Lee's creations.
Old 06-26-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't give a flying frick about his hit shows (or his "duds" either for that matter), because large ratings definately don't equal quality entertainment. He (or rather his production company) specialized in simple shows, with simple characters and simple scripts - all to lure in the intellectually challenged of America. Do I envy a man who'd rather sell crap to earn the big bucks instead of making thoughtful masterpieces and earning less? No, absolutely not.
That is the main point of television for 95% of america. People don't watch tv to get the same 'culture' as going to a play or reading a Dickens novel, they watch it to be entertained, and that was his job. And he did his job well! He was a success, probably one of the most successful men in America's History (If memory serves he was personally worth approx $300,000,000 (not including his castle/hotel/mansion of a house). Just because you oviously weren't entertained by him, doesn't make anything about him less true or empactful.

Also besides of all the show he created, approx 30% of actors, writers, directors, producers, crew members working in television owe their careers in some way to this man...