Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hell's Kitchen anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell's Kitchen anyone?

Anyone watch this show? I think it's my favorite new show......maybe because I've worked in the food industry for years before I got into IT, and because I've worked with d*cks like that before. But personally, I think he's great!
Old 05-31-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Chef, does this meet your approval?

I'll tell you later! Fuck off!
Old 05-31-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If they didn't bleep out the chef's invectives, I think they'd have a hit on their hands. As it is, mostly bark, less bite.
Old 05-31-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Half assed watched it in the background last night.... Love the 'reality' shows where no one acts like they would in real life... Who here wouldn't have decked that fucker for cussing at you and dumping a plate of food on you ?? "Here's my signature dish: Your fucking mashed testicles !!"
Old 05-31-05, 08:11 AM

The one thing that was a bit interesting was when 2 of the women customers went up to the chef to ask him what was taking so long and he told them to fuck off and shut up etc......
They actually went back and sat at their table and waited 2 hours before they went up to him again and he told them to go back to plastic surgery. Who wouldn't just walk out of there after being talked to like that? I'm thinking either the customers are in on this whole show thing, or it's just scripted really bad.
Old 05-31-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The guy is a frigging asshat; I mean did he call CUSTOMERS "bimbos" and tell one of them to fuck off?? Really?? It was a "give me a break" moment, but it's got a Season Pass ONLY because it's summer and nothing else is on and only because Six Feet Under repeats a lot.
Old 05-31-05, 08:12 AM

I watched just the first part where he judged their signature dishes. To me he was going overboard with his comments and the spitting out of the food. Obviously the belief is that it will equal ratings....but for me it ceases to be real. I prefered the show where Jamie Oliver tried to create chefs out of some young whippersnappers.
Old 05-31-05, 08:25 AM

Sad thing is, there are a lot of chefs like him that actually act that way. I've worked with them.......not to the extreme that he went, but chefs can really be a-holes. Then again, I've never seen a chef be a dick to the customers. That just makes no sense if you want business. Usually the chefs kiss the customers ass, and then just are dicks to the employees.
Old 05-31-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would someone want to work in a restaurant that badly? The first time the ass pushed food on my chest would be when it ended on his head.
Old 05-31-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched this and feel there is no way it's real, just for the way he treated the two girls as mentioned above. Plus who wouldn't bail after waiting almost 2 hours for food.

I don't buy it, but hey I'll watch it since there isn't anything else on prob.
Old 05-31-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Slightly entertaining in a time-wasting way.

That said:

* Completely unreal. They'd have no customers with the way that things turned out and the way that he spoke to the customers. I thought Mark Burnett's "The Restaurant" seemed fake, but this really took the cake.

* Ridiculously over-the-top. Also, as previously mentioned, the chef's actions and comments were ridiculous, although I do think that there are chefs somewhat like that.

* The customers appeared to me like a studio audience - paid to be there.

* The contestants were a dull, oddball bunch. No one interesting, The way that the show was edited also didn't highlight anyone.

* How did they think they could actually "open" (I put that in quotes because I didn't think it's a real restaurant) with people who'd never experienced the fast-paced and efficent way that kitchens must operate? And why do people have to be servers?
Old 05-31-05, 09:19 AM

Yeah, it definately does seem scripted. But like I said, maybe the customers are in on it, to make the contestants think it's that much more harsh. Maybe that will be one of the "big blockbusters" they announce later in the show? Who knows.

As far as them having to be servers, I totally agree with that. In order to run a good restaurant, you better be a good cook AND know how the front of the house works (speaking from experience here.)
Old 05-31-05, 10:12 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if its actually scripted, but I figured the "restaurant" was an obvious put-on. I have a feeling they announced it as attending a taping of a reality show based on food, etc. So people were going into it knowing there was a show filming and believing that they would get a free meal out of it. I don't think in any way this was ever promoted to people as a "real" restaurant. For one it would explain the cameras and two, it would explain why people were willing to wait way longer than normal and put up with all the crap for as long as they did.
Old 05-31-05, 10:18 AM

This is true. The cameras were on those chicks when they went up to talk to the chef. So obiously they know it's for TV. But I also thought it was funny how they showed limos, and BMW's and all sorts of fancy cars pulling up to eat at this place.

Also, it will be interesting to see next week. In the clips they showed from next week, one of the customers pushes the maitre d (sp?). I mean it just all seems to be kind of unreal, like stuff that wouldn't happen in any other restaurant. I still enjoy it though
Old 05-31-05, 11:13 AM

i enjoy these stupid guily pleasure shows...even though i know most of this has to be scripted i cant help but watch the trainwreck...LOL
Old 05-31-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Not sure if its actually scripted, but I figured the "restaurant" was an obvious put-on. I have a feeling they announced it as attending a taping of a reality show based on food, etc. So people were going into it knowing there was a show filming and believing that they would get a free meal out of it. I don't think in any way this was ever promoted to people as a "real" restaurant. For one it would explain the cameras and two, it would explain why people were willing to wait way longer than normal and put up with all the crap for as long as they did.
I think you probably nailed it. My wife also was mystefied that the women put up with the "abuse." Then I explained to her that my experience from LA tought me that most bottle-blonde 20 and 30 something women there think they are stars who simply haven't caught their break yet. LA has a seemingly endless supply of attention whores.

This show is basically chef bootcamp. Anyone who has been in the military will recognize this. He is tearing their preconceived selves down before building them back up in the image he desires. The rough beginning shakes out the quitters and knocks the chips off of shoulders of those who think they already know it all. I seen it all before, but just never in a kitchen! I know from friends who have done it, working in a high-end restaurant kitchen is damn tough work. I love to cook, and always thought it would be fun to be a chef. But that's like saying I like to ride a bike so I think I'll ride the next Tour de France.

I thought the show was pretty good. I'll be watching.
Old 05-31-05, 01:48 PM

I enjoyed the show, to bad we have the god damn FCC, it would have been a lot funnier if they didnt actually have to bleep out the curses. I loved when those girls went up to the chef and he told them to take them back to there plastic surgeon. Yea im sure it was scripted out but it was funny none the less. Not much on TV mondays now since 24 is over so Ill be watching.
Old 05-31-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the show "Cooking under Fire" on PBS. If you get a chance you should check it out.
Old 05-31-05, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ylomnstr
The one thing that was a bit interesting was when 2 of the women customers went up to the chef to ask him what was taking so long and he told them to fuck off and shut up etc......
They actually went back and sat at their table and waited 2 hours before they went up to him again and he told them to go back to plastic surgery.
What was even better was, before the plastic surgery comments, one of the women told him that he had hurt their friend's feelings. He got all concerned looking, leaned in and said something like "Please do me a favor. Go tell your freind that I meant every word."
Old 05-31-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was taught by a number of difficult chefs and worked with others who were far worse. There are people out there like this but they usually burn themselves out real fast. After seeing the a-hole on Hell's Kitchen who is ever going to want to worth with him in a serious and professional environment. This show will come back and bite him in the ass...it's only a matter of time.
Old 05-31-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
It was mildly amusing, but I had a hard time believing the chef would be so rude to customers (Apologizing for the stupidity of his staff would have seemed more realistic to me). Not sure I get the concept of a scripted reality show, but oh well. I won't catch it every week, but I'd watch it again if I ran across it.
Old 06-01-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I enjoyed it, and agree with the comments that the customers were probably told beforehand the basic premise. I also agree with whoever said that he is trying to see who is in it for the because they think they are the shit, and who is in it that actually is the shit. A bit over the top on tasting the food, but it is television.

Just like others have said, there are chefs just as bad, if not worse. I also went to what I thought was going to be a weekend cooking school, that turned into cooking for customers. It went pretty similar to the show, actually, except for the chef being a dick and the whole competition thing.

"Take these girls back to their plastic surgeon." I got a kick out of that, scripted or not.
Old 06-01-05, 05:12 AM

are you talking about the show with gordon ramsey? i think a lot of people are shocked to see what actualy goes on behind those swing doors at restaurants. all customers ever see are waiters calmly bringing their food and its all very pleasant and so on. but in the kitchen of any medium to large kitchen it's like a fucking warzone. to get the food the customers food to them speedily and proffesionaly it require a military style operation and you cannot fuck up or you will be in serious trouble with chef.

ramsey is the only chef in the world to have been awarded 3 michellin stars. now that kind of kudos brings you an enormous amount of respect from ANYONE who knows about food. for those of you who think its all a set up, i can tell you it's not, not the kitchen part at least. quality food requires that kind of dedication and passion and a no bullshit attitude.
Old 06-01-05, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by shadowself
are you talking about the show with gordon ramsey?
I think the Yank version of this show is different to the one we have in England, but it would be their version of the programme.

Anyway, while I'm sure Gordon Ramsey excels at what he does, I think it's COMPLETELY unnecessary for him to speak to the workers in the way in which he does. It's totally direspectful, and the quickest way in which to kill morale. I'm not surprised that Amanda Barrie slapped him in the celeb version of the show - you must have the patience of a saint to endure the abuse he dishes up toward the staff! (Look Mum! I can swear!)

Having said that, the viewing figures would probably be slashed by quite a margin if Gordon was mild mannered, so I doubt we're about to see a personality transplant just yet.
Old 06-01-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ylomnstr
Anyone watch this show? I think it's my favorite new show......maybe because I've worked in the food industry for years before I got into IT, and because I've worked with d*cks like that before. But personally, I think he's great!

I liked how the cook told the customers to basically f**k off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.