Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV vs. Dish DVR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 12:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirecTV vs. Dish DVR

How does DirecTV and Dish DVR compare? In terms of recorded picture quality, ease of use, season pass, rewinding and forwarding, etc.

I find DirecTV DVR okay. At first it was very quirky, but now it looks okay. But its season pass is not as good as tivo and quick forwarding is a bit of headache with rather slow response. I don't have HDTV, so HDTV DVR is not of interest to me.

I am on 1 month trial of Direct TV and time is running out, so I have to make a quick decision. I'd really appreciate any input. Thank you
Old 06-09-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have had Direct TV since 98 the Direc Tivo since 03 and I have always been happy with the service.
Old 06-09-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two threads on the topic? http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468239
Old 06-09-06, 01:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Not only but also

Originally Posted by Chew
Maybe one of these earlier threads will be of assistance if you need a slew of opinions in fairly short order.
Old 06-09-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had both Dish Network and DirecTV's DVR's... I have DirecTV now, and I would say that DirecTV has it all over Dish!
Old 06-09-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
Maybe one of these earlier threads will be of assistance if you need a slew of opinions in fairly short order.
While the question has certainly been asked before, I meant Pierrot has posted the exact same thread in this forum and in the Home Theater Forum.
Old 06-09-06, 04:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Chew
I meant Pierrot has posted the exact same thread in this forum and in the Home Theater Forum.
I noticed but was just using your post as a dropping in point for what I found when I searched for "dish" in titles.
Old 06-09-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The question may have been asked before, but things are different now. You no longer get a TiVo from DirecTV. If he's on a 30-day trial, the odds are extremely good that he's wanting to compare a DirecTV DVR to the Dish offering, not the DirecTiVo to the Dish offering.

That's a different question since older threads would be dealing with the old (TiVo) hardware from DirecTV.

Beyond that, I can't answer the question as I've never used any of the hardware mentioned.
Old 06-09-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can still get a DirecTV Tivo unit from www.weaknees.com

I'd go out of my way to get one of those rather than use DirecTV's new generic DVR-- I have not heard many good things about it.

I love my DirecTivos.
Old 06-09-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Another vote for DirecTV Tivo. Buy the unit from Weaknees.com or try to bid for one cheaper on Ebay. DirectTV will still supports Tivo for if you have the unit.

The unti model is R10, not the R15.
Old 06-10-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never had Dish DVR... But I've had Direct for a few years and it is awesome!
Old 06-10-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that picking up DirecTivo is the way to go while you still can. The Tivo software has a significant advantage over DirecTV's.

This is only my advice since you state you have no interest in HD. Dish has a huge lead on DirecTV in HD programming (picture quality and number of channels) and their new ViP 622 is a very decent HD DVR.
Old 06-11-06, 02:04 PM

Interesting note about the Dish Network equipment...

I've been talking to them recently about some new service (moving in less than a week) and apparently since all their receivers (DVRs, HD-DVRs, and standard receivers) output to two TVs, a "four room" equipment setup will only actually net you two physical boxes, which will be connected to two TVs each.

I haven't asked them yet if this requires two wires to be run from the dish to each box in order for each one to display a different channel on different sets, but I imagine that it can make installation tricky, as most wiring setups have the cables all coming from a central source, instead of branching off from room to room.

I'll be able to report more next weekend
Old 06-11-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dish Network is able to run one line to the 622 DVR receiver and then split it into two right before the receiver connection. My HD DirecTivo had to have two lines all the way from the dish.
Old 06-12-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting ready to move and this just seems to be a bad time to be buying service, especially if you want a HD DVR. I don't like the Comcast Mororola box and DTV doesn't have anything comparable yet w/ the MPEG4. Very frustrating.