Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Christopher on The Sopranos:whacked or the survivor?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Christopher:whacked or the big survivor
Whacked
57.14%
Survivor
22.45%
Survivor, but might not be well off (imprisoned/rat)
20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

It seems that the last two seasons have had him come very close to biting the big one on several occasions, and this past season finale had me tense thinking that he would get shot any moment.

However, he seems to have persevered and a lot of people have said that this whole series will end with him taking over the operations. I figure that if Chris were going to bite it, he would have by now, so I figure Chase must have something major planned for him.

Of course I say this now and he will probably be the first one killed in the final eight!
Old 06-06-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it's pretty clear which major character is going to bite it first in the upcoming half-season:
Spoiler:
A.J. Hence the way-too-sudden turning into a responsible guy, instead of still being a fool who nearly deserves it....

I vote for Chris turning into a rat, but I could see him living *or* dying.
Old 06-06-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
If Chris takes over the family I don't see it lasting very long. I don't see anything on the show that gives the impression he could come close to handling such a responsibility. Honestly I don't see anyone in Tony's crew (maybe other than Syl and we see how well he handled that even temporarily) that I could see taking the lead role. Chris has wasted too many of his lives already, and I don't think he should survive the series, but I'm not going to say that I guarantee he will or not.
Old 06-08-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Guess Chris isn't too popular as a candidate for leader, but I get the feeling that we might not see a leader in the family because I predict at the show's end all will be dead.
Old 06-09-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the end of the series, I don't think that it will be Tony or Christopher leading the family - it will be Carmela.
Old 06-11-06, 10:24 AM

Location: Huntington WVA.. but not a back woods country bumpkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carmela....

wait... that might be funny and good
Old 06-11-06, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
At the end of the series, I don't think that it will be Tony or Christopher leading the family - it will be Carmela.
That's been thought before, and after each time I hear it, I think of how that will really leave a sour taste in my mouth, and send me off hating the show.
Old 06-11-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Terps54423
That's been thought before, and after each time I hear it, I think of how that will really leave a sour taste in my mouth, and send me off hating the show.
People have seriously thought that? I am pretty sure movieking was joking.
Old 06-11-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I doubt any of the main characters will get whacked. They probably will leave the cast intact and try to start a franchise of theatrical releases.
Old 06-11-06, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
People have seriously thought that? I am pretty sure movieking was joking.
Yeah. Someone's gotta take over, and I'm pretty sure a few (in the weekly threads) even speculated that Meadow could be the one. But that SF guy whose blog gets posted every week analyzing every detail of the episode has had the idea of Carmela taking over since (at least) early in this season, and has constantly pointed out details of the show that could foreshadow such an event happening. I'm guessing most of the agreement with the idea has stemmed from that.
Old 06-11-06, 05:37 PM

I could see him possibly overdosing but not getting whacked or turning.
Old 06-11-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Terps54423
Yeah. Someone's gotta take over, and I'm pretty sure a few (in the weekly threads) even speculated that Meadow could be the one. But that SF guy whose blog gets posted every week analyzing every detail of the episode has had the idea of Carmela taking over since (at least) early in this season, and has constantly pointed out details of the show that could foreshadow such an event happening. I'm guessing most of the agreement with the idea has stemmed from that.
Well that is just silly. I hereby announce that if Meadow or Carmela take over as boss, I will pour lighter fluid over my Sopranos Season 1-5 sets and light them on fire, and video tape the entire thing.
Old 06-12-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998Nole
I could see him possibly overdosing but not getting whacked or turning.
I could see him getting whacked for all the reasons people were thinking it was going to happen in the most recent episode, but I would expect an overdose, carwreck or something else by his own hand first. Definitely couldn't see him talking to the feds after what he went through with Adrianna.
Old 06-12-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Meadow or Carmella will NOT take over the family. They will just nag behind the scenes like every other woman who thinks they are boss.
Old 06-13-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You've got several threads heading into this. First, you've got the guy in the Season 6 premiere who wanted to leave and retire to Florida, and killed himself when Tony didn't let him. The lesson: You can't get out.

That was underscored by Vito. He ran away to New Hampshire, which is apparently some kind of gay Garden of Eden, but he couldn't stay away, and that was his downfall.

Second, you've got the "Who am I? Where am I going?" thread, which has been the intellectual theme of the season. If all the Sopranos proceedings have seemed like echoes of past incidents and the characters in this season have seemed to be going through the motions, that's probably by design and reinforcing this idea. Chase has let Tony and the audience wallow in this stuff long enough, and now it's going to be time to move past that.

This show has not been building for six years toward a "sins of the father are visited upon the son" finale. That's too cliched, and too unsophisticated, and doesn't pay off any of the higher level stuff that's going on here. Most mob movies can get to that point in two hours. Chase knows better than to build six seasons and 72 hours of narrative into that. AJ's detour into criminality, and Tony's forceful parenting were really about Tony's growth. People say that AJ seemed to grow up really fast; I think this is the show's way of wrapping up his story arc and pushing him to the background for the final episodes.

The idea of Carmela ending up as the boss is ridiculous. She's savvy enough to see the lot of the other widows, and she's calculating enough to recognize that she wants to arrange better for herself if something happens to Tony. That doesn't mean she's competent to mastermind that whole operation. I think there's a possibility Carmela may end up dead somehow, because she's addicted to the "life" and the wealth that it generates, and she holds herself completely unaccountable through her willful ignorance.

As for Christopher getting killed, it's a possibility. His story has to end some way, and there's a lot for him to wrap up. I don't think he's going to rat anyone. If anyone turns witness against the family, it will probably be Tony, or possibly Carmela. I think in particular, the friendly FBI agent at the pork shop might be out to flip Tony, and if decides he wants out, or if he sees a plot forming against him in his own family, or if he sees it as his only way to survive, he may take that out.

My theory is that the show's finale will hinge around the Arab guys with the stolen credit cards. Either they commit some sort of terror act, or Tony discovers they're planning to and gives them up to the feds.

And if Tony goes into witness protection, odds are Carmela won't go with him. If I had to guess the arc for the last eight episodes, that'd be it.
Old 06-14-06, 01:36 AM

Why would he bite it? Vito's dead.

<-- rimshot
Old 06-14-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I think people have a lot more hope than I do. I expect a Jerry Seinfeld/Archie Bunker ending where the major players are still around, and it ends with them at the table in the back room. Maybe a few deaths, maybe not.

If you look at the entire series, it really doesn't move a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it just doesn't move a lot. I don't see it suddenly changing directions and overturning the apple cart. I remember hearing that Gandolfini was disappointed in the way it ended. I suspect that is because he is tired of the role and hoped it would actually end in a significant way.
Old 06-14-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
I think they are planning a movie for this... seems like any major players would be wacked there.