TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hex - 6/8 Premiere (The British Buffy?)

Old 06-08-06, 12:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Hex - 6/8 Premiere (The British Buffy?)

Any word on this show? It premieres tonight on BBC America at 10/9c. I've read a few places it's been called "the British Buffy" (although some reviewers say it's closer to Charmed), as it covers a similar premise. I couldn't find anything on a search, three letter title and all.

BBC America's site:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/dram...es/hex/hex.jsp

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_%28TV_Series%29

Hex is a UK television series about a remote country school that becomes the battleground between a demonic entity and the witches that oppose it. It mixes elements of gothic horror, soap opera, and modern teen dramedy.
Old 06-08-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is by no stretch of the imagination as Buffyesque as the reviewers and the network like to make you think it is (the closest resemblence I can find is that the protagonist is a blond, outcast girl in high school), but the similarities end there.

This show is much more focused on witchcraft and is much darker/mature than Buffy ever was. The best was to describe it I guess would be "The Craft+Dead Poets Society X British writers with a dash of Buffy"... But that doesn't do it justice at all, you have to watch it for yourself.

I saw the first season over a year ago and it took some getting used to at first, but the show really grows on you (and there is a major twist towards the end of the pilot that will hook you for the remaining 18 episodes). Just keep in mind that this is a much darker show, and I don't know how much editing BBCA is going to do to the Sky1 versions (if any), but still remember that its much more 'mature.'
Old 06-08-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw one preview and thought it looked pretty interesting. needless to say, my season pass is set for this.
Old 06-09-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have it on my tivo to record. Could be good.
Old 06-09-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd tend to agree with the, "The Craft+Dead Poets Society X British writers with a dash of Buffy" quote.

I really enjoyed the first season, which is not a tremendous investment of one's time at only 5 episodes, however, there's a significant change in the show beginning in Season 2, and from there IMO the show's all over the map without a clearly guided sense of direction. At this turning point the show becomes not nearly as involving as it once was, regardless of the better effects budget and influx of new characters.

Fundamentally, I liked the tone and concept of the show, but it's pretty obvious that there's no strong creative voice helping to guide the series ala Whedon.
Old 06-09-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ive been seeing ads for this all over the subway, and forgot to set the DVR ... Will check it out to see if it can hold me as it seems interesting enoguh.
Old 06-09-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this a brand new show, or just the British version being aired in America for the first time? DVD available at all?
Old 06-09-06, 09:40 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I completely missed this. Are they reairing the first episode?
Old 06-09-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I completely missed this. Are they reairing the first episode?
Yes, though I can't remember exactly when - because I forgot to set my TIVO in time, so I had to manually hunt for other airings. There was another last night at midnight, and I think it's also going to be shown on 6/10 and 6/12. You'll have to dig for the times...
Old 06-09-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Is this a brand new show, or just the British version being aired in America for the first time? DVD available at all?
A British airing in the US for the first time. The series is actually done now after two seasons.
Old 06-09-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
DVD available at all?
in R1? no.
in R2? yes.
Old 06-10-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
A British airing in the US for the first time. The series is actually done now after two seasons.
Did they finish it after two seasons or was it cancelled?
I tend to like how British show aren't strung along for money purposes like they are here in the US and end before they go down hill.
Old 06-10-06, 12:09 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Yes, though I can't remember exactly when - because I forgot to set my TIVO in time, so I had to manually hunt for other airings. There was another last night at midnight, and I think it's also going to be shown on 6/10 and 6/12. You'll have to dig for the times...
Thanks, got my TIVO set to record the premiere, and set the season pass.
Old 06-10-06, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Did they finish it after two seasons or was it cancelled?
I tend to like how British show aren't strung along for money purposes like they are here in the US and end before they go down hill.
It was cancelled. By the end of its final season, it had lost 80% of its original audience. Supposedly, from what I've read, the writing really did go downhill in season 2.

I thought the pilot was OK, even though it has to be the least exciting "good looking blonde with supernatural powers living in a boarding school with a lesbian roommate" story that has possibly ever been written.

Just a warning to those recording this, avoid the "this season on Hex" preview that BBCA (stupid wankers) airs at the end of the pilot. It contains several big spoilers.

Last edited by MadMark; 06-10-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-11-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was fun although it's a bummer to see BBC falling for the Hollywood trick where the "nerdy" girl is even played by an even more attractive actress than the popular girls. I suspect if they started Prime Suspect today Jane would be played by Kiera Knightly.
Old 06-11-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does Christina Cole (Cassie) remind you of a less attractive version of Heather Graham?

I'm 60% through season 1 and it take its sweet ass time getting to anything interesting plot-wise.
Old 06-11-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now I'm 100% through season 1 and I can say it's just so-so, it's maybe too laid back for its own good.
Old 06-11-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How many episodes aired during the two seasons?
Old 06-11-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's 6 hours in the 1st season (2-hour premiere, and 4 other episodes), and 13 hour-long episodes in the 2nd season.
Old 06-11-06, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadMark
Just a warning to those recording this, avoid the "this season on Hex" preview that BBCA (stupid wankers) airs at the end of the pilot. It contains several big spoilers.
Agreed. I couldn't believe a couple of the spoilers it revealed.

I thought the pilot was decent. I'll give it another couple episodes to fully decide, but it definitely held my interest.
Old 07-06-06, 02:40 PM

I have been watching this on BBCAmerica so I thought I'd bump the thread. I finally caught up on the episodes that aired. So are we almost through season 1?

I can't say I love the show, but it has been enjoyable to watch in the summertime when there isn't much else on.

I think this show could have been much better if it were more cleverly written. I really like the setting, the lead actress is quite fetching and the Thelma character is a hoot. The actor who plays Azazel is gorgeous-- I had to look him up on IMBD because I was convinced he must be another Fiennes brother, but he is not. I think the writers blew it by shooting their wad with his character too soon. They should have built him up a bit like Buffy did with Angel. They should have had him be this mysterious stranger that Cassie is attracted too and only after she discovers the mystery of her back-story, should she have seen his true self. They made no conflict by showing him as evil right off the bat.

There are lots of plot holes too. Why can Thelma touch things like watertaps but not people? And if Casie's father is a McBain, then why was her mother the one who was involved with Azazel? They made it sound like it was passed down through the family, but Cassie's mother would not have been related to the McBains.

I'll keep watching but the show was promising yet so flawed it is frustrating.
Old 07-07-06, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried watching this but 25 minutes into the first episode I was dying. Buffy may have been about a high school girl, but this show seemed to be made specifically for them. All that teenage crushes and friendship BS was boring. I think the final straw was when Kelly Osborne got pissed because the hot chick (who isn't suppose to be hot because she likes art and wears sweaters) watched a movie with the cool kids! Like, oh my God!

I skipped a head a bit and it didn't seem to get much better. They kind of me hooked with the backstory, but by the time I hit FF I didn't even care about that. And I tried some of the next episode, which had a pretty good lezbo scene with the hot chick, but the pace still seemed way too slow.
Old 07-07-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I TIVO'd the marthon on SUnday and have been working my way through the episodes. It's reallly disconcerting the way BBC America is inserting commercials into this show. There will be a 60 second break and then a five minute one and the first 10 minutes of the next show are shown in the last hour of the previous show. Was this just for the marathon, or is the show always aired this way. It was fun to see some of the actors from FOOTBALLER$ WIVES in the show in different roles-particularly lesbian agent/club owner Hazel as a minister.