DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV's All-Time Best Series' Finales (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/468063-tvs-all-time-best-series-finales.html)

Sonny Corinthos 05-13-06 06:31 AM

TV's All-Time Best Series' Finales.

Are any of your favorites on the list?

Michael Corvin 05-13-06 07:17 AM

I think Newhart and MASH were a given, as well as Cheers, but:

Sam said goodbye to the regulars and then spied a shadowed man at the front door while trying to lock up. "Sorry, we're closed," Sam shouted out, then straightened a picture on the wall and headed into the back room forever.

I'm sorry, that wasn't just a picture, it was Geronimo a final nod to Coach Pantuso, which made the ending even more touching.

At any rate, I always think of those three when I think of finales. Other giant shows like Friends, Seinfeld & Xfiles just petered out in the finales and are definitely not worth mentioning despite how great the actual show runs were.

Awesome to see Arrested Development on there.

The only other one that always comes to mind is Quantum Leap. Brilliant idea for a finale and brilliant ending. Not the happy-go-lucky finale that EVERY other show seems to do. Probably the only show to bring a tear to my eye.

Giantrobo 05-13-06 08:04 AM

No St. Elsewhere? You see, that's why I hate terms like "Best ever" and "of all time" for stuff like this.

conscience 05-13-06 09:22 AM

Six Feet Under :up:

I just knew that perfect finale would be on the list before I even clicked the link. It will be remebered for times to come. And, yes, I did cry. :(

Smidget 05-13-06 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by conscience

I just knew that perfect finale would be on the list before I even clicked the link. It will be remebered for times to come. And, yes, I did cry. :(

I second everything he said.... even the last part :(

lordwow 05-13-06 10:09 AM

Quantum Leap: The best finale ever.

dstrauss 05-13-06 10:23 AM

Not that I would ever expect them to include science fiction shows on there, but I'd add the finales for Next Generation and Babylon 5.

Mattrk 05-13-06 10:26 AM

No Babylon 5 makes this a crappy list.

astrochimp 05-13-06 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by conscience

First one i thought of :thumbsup:

AndyCleveland 05-13-06 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
First one i thought of :thumbsup:

me too.
best finale ever. one of the best series ever.
i still get choked up when i hear Breathe Me

Decker 05-13-06 11:45 AM

Another :up: for 6FU. It plays even better on second viewing. I had thought it was a mistake for them to kill off Nate with a few episodes left, but it proved to be a genius move since it set up that classic ending episode.

I'm glad to NOT see St. Elsewhere on that list. I loved that show, but felt the finale was hurt by that "big twist" which really didn't make any sense. While Newhart's finale had brilliance in the reveal (and they don't mention it there, but the audience actually shrieked when they saw Suzanne Pleshette there), St Elsewhere felt sorta cheap by comparison.

Never understood the reverence for the MASH finale. It was SO LONG. It was bloated and unnecessarily depressing. Hawkeye has a nervous breakdown after watching a mother smother her child. Charles befriends a Korean band then watches as they all die. The show drags for 150 minutes. The final shot WAS great, but before that, there was a lot of tedium. All most people remember is that final shot and the ratings.

Never knew that about the Twin Peaks finale. How many characters got offed? Any synopsis anywhere?

One they forgot was Barney Miller. That was a show that did the finale right. It had class, dignity and was very satisfying (as far as I remember anyway).

das Monkey 05-13-06 11:50 AM

What a perfectly mainstream and uninspired list. No "Sleeping in Light" (which I'd wager the author hasn't even seen) = No sale. Not to mention "All Good Things ...", "Mirror Image", "The Last Show" ...

das

LorenzoL 05-13-06 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Never knew that about the Twin Peaks finale. How many characters got offed? Any synopsis anywhere?

http://www.tv.com/twin-peaks/episode...024/recap.html

Decker 05-13-06 11:59 AM

das, excuse my ignorance, but what shows were those episodes from?

garolo 05-13-06 12:10 PM

The group hug at the end of The Mary Tyler Moore Show is a classic.

MrX 05-13-06 12:13 PM

Sleeping in Light=Bablyon 5
Mirror Image=Quantum Leap
The Last Show=Mary Tyler Moore

I'm sure the other one is one of the Star Treks

das Monkey 05-13-06 12:31 PM

Yeah, sorry about that. I tend to think of episodes in terms of their titles. "All Good Things ..." was the finale for <i>Star Trek: The Next Generation</i>.

das

P.S. It's a long way to Tipperary. It's a long way to go.

Tommy_Harn 05-13-06 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm sorry, that wasn't just a picture, it was Geronimo a final nod to Coach Pantuso, which made the ending even more touching.

Plus, the guy he says "sorry, we're closed" to looks a helluva lot like Jim Valvanno (Hoops coach at NC State, died of cancer not too long after the finale aired). I've never gotten confirmation that it was him, but again, the resemblance is there.

gatoinfeliz 05-13-06 01:49 PM

I agree with the Roseanne finale. Everyone gets really upset and angry but I thought it was the perfect ending. If anything it was the highlight of the less than stellar final season.

Tracer Bullet 05-13-06 02:24 PM

I'm going to go watch "Sleeping in Light" right now. What a crappy list.

Borst 05-13-06 02:55 PM

couple I really liked that weren't mentioned yet and The Wonder Years and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Charlie Goose 05-13-06 03:31 PM

Blackadder Goes Forth

Matthew Chmiel 05-13-06 04:35 PM

In recent years, along with Six Feet Under and Arrested Development, Angel's series finale was near brilliant. Easily the best episode to come out of the last two seasons of that show.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 05-13-06 04:53 PM

family ties

critterdvd 05-13-06 05:00 PM

I totally agree with 'Six Feet Under,' and honestly I think it sets the new standars for what a television show should aspire to (with series endings), and it is soo haunting, yet in such a fitting way, I will never forget it. And yes, I cried like a baby too...

Also I think worth noting is the series finale of "Roswell," while it was a tad rushed it will provided really great closure to the series, but left almost everything up to the viewer's imagination. "Dawson's Creek" also, while sappy ending rather well.