Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica: best thing on TV right now

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I got through a good portion of the second season of Battlestar Galactica, but gave up because I just didn't enjoy watching it. To each his own, I guess.

I agree about what others are saying about Deadwood. I think it is in a completely different league than Battlestar Galactica.
Old 06-07-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burzmali

It's weird, cause I know that you and I share similar tastes. I'm a huge Farscape and Buffyverse fan.
It happens. At least you tried it.

Burzmali

What about BSG is it that you find off-putting?
I don't find anything about it necessarily "off-putting", but I do think it lost its way in the second season. Characters aren't really being true to themselves, and it seems as though the plots are driving everything. "We need two people to be over here at this time. Um ... let's have them be in love today. Now we need a betrayal, because that's dramatic. Why not that guy?" I tend toward character-driven shows (which explains my love for HBO series and B5), and that's where they're hurting the most right now. The show started off as this relentless chase from extinction, and I loved that ("33" is still my favorite episode), but it became pretty soap opera-ish and contrived during much of the second season. I still think it's a really good show, and I hope their current direction allows them to recover, but that's why I don't have BSG at the top of my viewing list right now.

das
Old 06-07-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was brought up earlier in this thread and thought I would pass it along for those interested. In an email from MGM that said the following.

"With Battlestar Gallactica not retuning to the SCI FI Friday line-up until October, 'Stargate SG-1' moves to 9pm ET/PT, with 'Stargate Atlantis' following at 10pm ET/PT."
Old 06-07-06, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
It happens. At least you tried it.

I don't find anything about it necessarily "off-putting", but I do think it lost its way in the second season. Characters aren't really being true to themselves, and it seems as though the plots are driving everything. "We need two people to be over here at this time. Um ... let's have them be in love today. Now we need a betrayal, because that's dramatic. Why not that guy?" I tend toward character-driven shows (which explains my love for HBO series and B5), and that's where they're hurting the most right now. The show started off as this relentless chase from extinction, and I loved that ("33" is still my favorite episode), but it became pretty soap opera-ish and contrived during much of the second season. I still think it's a really good show, and I hope their current direction allows them to recover, but that's why I don't have BSG at the top of my viewing list right now.

das
I think three of the 2nd half episodes were not up to par, but it got back underway with Captain's Hand. I'm just a big fan of Olmos's acting, and the writing in general.

Cheers.
Old 06-07-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I loved season One and the 1st half of season 2. Now I just think is an average show, mainly because I dispise so many of the characters. The only characters I really like anymore are Sharon, Helo and the chief. Ive been hopeing and praying that Apollo would just DIE but since he is a main character its not going to happen. When they started doing the end of the ep 1st then the 24 hrs earlier or whatever, is when I think the show really started going down hill. The season Finale underwhelmed me with the direction they took. It will be interesting to see where they go from there.
Old 06-07-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not sure I agree with das and/or the budding consensus that 2.5 was vastly weaker than 2.0. I just didn't notice it, and have been aware of many a plot contrivance and character shift from the beginning. To me it's not a brilliant show, just a *strong* one--and one that's right up my alley as a sci-fi show that dares to be something *other* than camp and comedic. Certainly a favorite, perhaps an alltime fav.

As for the completely new direction layed out in the 2.5 cliffhanger, I'm thrilled at the creative risks involved, and hope they continue to surprise the hell out of us... even as it gradually drifts back into the series format that was followed originally.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-07-06 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
Not sure I agree with das and/or the budding consensus that 2.5 was vastly weaker than 2.0. I just didn't notice it, and have been aware of many a plot contrivance and character shift from the beginning. To me it's not a brilliant show, just a *strong* one--and one that's right up my alley as a sci-fi show that dares to be something *other* than camp and comedic. Certainly a favorite, perhaps an alltime fav.
I'm 3 episodes into 2.5, and I'm not really seeing it yet either. Most of the characters are acting fairly consistent. The
Spoiler:
cure for cancer
was a bit silly, and I cringed a bit when
Spoiler:
Adama kissed the prez
, but otherwise, I'm still digging it in a big way.

As for the completely new direction layed out in the 2.5 cliffhanger, I'm thrilled at the creative risks involved, and hope they continue to surprise the hell out of us... even as it gradually drifts back into the series format that was followed originally.
I can't speak to the cliffhanger yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to it!
Old 06-08-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Three episodes into 2.5? Yeah, the next episode for you is the start of a downward trend of about 3 episodes (at least for a lot of people).
Old 06-08-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as another who loves the direction they took with the cliffhanger and can't wait for season 3 (though I wish they would run on Universal HD in real time with the season).
Old 06-08-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Uhh no.
Old 06-08-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
I agree that BSG is the best show on TV. I'd love to hear what 5 or 10 shows I'm missing out on. I just hope it can maintain its focus and keep kicking the ass.

House. For one.
Old 06-08-06, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
House. For one.
IMO House is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Horrific writing and acting.

The character is trite and a poor ripoff of the Cox character from Scrubs, without the subtlety (and comedic value).

Barely distinguishable from standard inane hospital drama.
Old 06-08-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think BSG is a good show, not great though. My problem is that sometimes the politics, internal conflicts, and religious stuff gets pretty tiring and too much to absorb in.

The show also tends to just be deadly serious which I do like but it can be tiring too.

But I am hopeful about the show's future since it looks like it is taking a different turn from the usual plots and storylines.
Old 06-08-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although there may be better shows on TV (The Shield is the only thing that comes to mind IMO), there is nothing that I look forward to as much as BSG.
Old 06-08-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Burzmali
IMO House is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Horrific writing and acting.

The character is trite and a poor ripoff of the Cox character from Scrubs, without the subtlety (and comedic value).

Barely distinguishable from standard inane hospital drama.
I wouldn't quite go this far, but I don't think House even registers in my top 15. Not a bad show, but not particularly great either.
Old 06-19-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished season 2.

I completely agree that there was a three episode (or so) stretch that was right on the verge of being bad. It's like they forgot what the show was ABOUT for a while there. Adama and the Cylons were practically absent, and Apollo and Starbuck were noticably out of character (weird self-destructive behaviors that were just out of nowhere).

At any rate, it picked right back up with Captain's Hand as someone else noted. I have some mixed feelings about the finale, but it was nothing if not bold. Seems like those three throwaway eps would have been better used getting us "from here to there".

Anyway, really really looking forward to next season.
Old 06-19-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the previous discussion of what's better. No cop/lawyer/hospital drama has ever resonated with me, and none probably ever will. If it weren't for generic sitcoms and "reality" shows, I think they'd be the worst thing about television.

But that's just me.
Old 06-20-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
No cop/lawyer/hospital drama has ever resonated with me, and none probably ever will.
I understand what you're saying, but have you seen really great "cop" shows like The Wire or Shield? I can't think of any truly good lawyer or hospital dramas... though Murder One had it's moments...
Old 06-20-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To dismiss a show because it focuses on cops, lawyers, or doctors seems as absurd to me as dismissing a show because it takes place in space.

das
Old 06-20-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, thanks to the DDD 20% off sale I picked up BSG season 1 on the first day of the sale. Ordered season 2.0 on the last day of the sale after watching the miniseries and the first episode the night before. It was backordered.

I just finished season 1 last night. Damn. Where the frack is my 2.0?!?!

Season one was a great ride. I really enjoyed just about every aspect of it and I'm tending to agree with the original poster that this might be the best thing on (non-premium?) TV right now.

As for some of the other shows mentioned. Someday I'd really like to see The Wire, as I'm a fan of Homicide. I watched every episode of season 2 of Rescue Me and I was not terribly impressed and actually turned off by it on occassion. I haven't followed The Shield but I get the feeling I'd have a similar reaction to that as I did with Rescue Me. The Sopranos season one was great- I loved the characters and the arc. I didn't enjoy seasons 2 and 3 as much (they were only ok) and stopped buying the DVDs after that. As for Deadwood, the only thing I know about that HBO show is that it's the one with the swearing cowboys.
Old 06-20-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
I haven't followed The Shield but I get the feeling I'd have a similar reaction to that as I did with Rescue Me.
And you would be wrong - don't trust your feelings. I enjoy RM and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to Shield.
Old 06-20-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
To dismiss a show because it focuses on cops, lawyers, or doctors seems as absurd to me as dismissing a show because it takes place in space.

das
It is.

I didn't say it was fair. It's just my narrowminded view. I personally have had my fill of them after 30 years of NYPDs, CSIs, Law and Orders, LA Laws, ERs, etc.
Old 06-20-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

slop101

And you would be wrong - don't trust your feelings. I enjoy RM and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to Shield.
You'd make a terrible Jedi. I agree, though. Rescue Me is fun in a male soap opera kind of way, but The Shield is another level.

das