Deadwood
Sopranos
Rescue Me
The Shield - I agree
The Wire - never got into it, will be Netflix'ing all the disks soon
Deadwood - I agree
Sopranos - I agree
Rescue Me - never seen it

In terms of writing and acting BG is not one of the top five shows on TV, maybe not even top 10. The photography is up there. However, where it shines is in its examination of moral, political, and social issues that more conventional shows cannot touch in the same way. This is the benefit of the science fiction genre - it allows writers to comment on contemporary issues with enough distance to avoid being preachy, but with enough insight and prescience to allow viewers to ponder the issue without all the baggage that normally is associated with it. It works as an allegory, and as such, is better than any other show on TV.
Old 06-06-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I don't want to get too down on the show, or even bash it, as I do like it, it's just I like these other shows better because they're smarter - (and I'm trying not to spoil things) but just one of the things that lessened it in my eyes were the random love-triangles that seem to come and go at the whim of the writers to create some artificial tension - that and other similar things just came off a little too cheap for me (though obviously not as cheap as something like 24) to claim it as "best show ever".
I get you. I think I had my first moments during one of the last episodes of season one when the
Spoiler:
president thought Adama was a Cylon
. Of course, his reaction was pretty much the same as mine (if I am, you're screwed), so they reeled it back in for me...sort of. It still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth though since it defied logic on virtually every level.

I kind of get the love triangle thing too, but I just adore when #6 gets jealous, so I can write that off to some degree. I'm guessing it must get worse in season 2, since I haven't seen that much of the love triangle gimmick used yet.

Off subject, but I think I forgot to mention how much I enjoy the music with lots of strings and bagpipes and chorals. It gives the show sort of a cinematic feel.
Old 06-06-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The Shield - I agree
Deadwood - I agree
Sopranos - I agree
Rescue Me - never seen it
I've barely seen any of these, and I don't think I enjoy straight drama in general.

I was halfway expecting to see a CSI or a Law and Order in there. I almost don't consider HBO's shows to even be television in the traditional sense, but I can't defend that notion.

In terms of writing and acting BG is not one of the top five shows on TV, maybe not even top 10. The photography is up there. However, where it shines is in its examination of moral, political, and social issues that more conventional shows cannot touch in the same way. This is the benefit of the science fiction genre - it allows writers to comment on contemporary issues with enough distance to avoid being preachy, but with enough insight and prescience to allow viewers to ponder the issue without all the baggage that normally is associated with it. It works as an allegory, and as such, is better than any other show on TV.
I don't outright disagree with any of this, and it summarizes my love of the genre in a very articulate way.

I might have to quibble just a bit on the acting side. The actress who plays the president (name slipped my mind...Donnie Darko's mom) has depth to spare, and so does Olmos. You're spot on with the younger leads though.

The photography is definitely up there, and as I just noted, so is the music. To me, it has a "movie" feel that few shows ever capture.

Last edited by chess; 06-06-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My top 3
1. The Shield
2. Battlestar Galactica
3. The Office

South Park and Lost are also must-see for me, but not consistent enough to be in the argument.
Old 06-06-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I've barely seen any of these, and I don't think I enjoy straight drama in general.
I was halfway expecting to see a CSI or a Law and Order in there.
I will just say that while they might appear that way on the outside, these are not "straight" dramas - unless by "straight", you mean that they don't have a supernatural or sci-fi bent - then you'd be right. FWIW, I hate CSI and L&O type shows because they're boring, procedural and gimmicky.

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Not to derail this thread too much, but yeah, I couldn't get into Wire too much while it first aired either - I gave it a few episodes and gave up because it didn't reel me in (truthfully, this was my fault and not the show's).

I gave it another shot on dvd, and paid it the attention it deserved (and, boy, it requires close attention), and can now claim with, no hyperbole, that it is one of the best pieces of fiction ever created among television and even cinema. But it's not easy - you have to fully engage it and work at it - but it pays off huge dividends.

I am envious of anyone getting into it for the first time.

Last edited by slop101; 06-06-06 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will just say that while they might appear that way on the outside, these are not "straight" dramas - unless by "straight", you mean that they don't have a supernatural or sci-fi bent - then you'd be right. FWIW, I hate CSI and L&O type shows because they're boring, procedural and gimmicky.
By straight, I just meant the usual slew of cop and lawyer dramas. A drama has to have something unique beyond drama to draw me in. I liked The West Wing for instance...though not enough that I could be depended on to watch it week to week (truth is, I watch most of my TV on DVD). Even shows like BG and Lost are just dramas at heart, but they both do it in the context of something interesting to me.

And I didn't mean that I expected a CSI or L&O from YOU necessarily...just expected them from a lot of people in general despite the fact that I hate em.

I'll have to look into the Wire.

Last edited by chess; 06-06-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wire, The Shield, and Rescue Me are also current dramas above BG on my list.
Old 06-06-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By straight, I just meant the usual slew of cop and lawyer dramas. A drama has to have something unique beyond drama to draw me in.
Shield - much more than just a cop show. Fully realized characters that move and breath on their own. Add to these characters issues involving corruption both human and political, and you have the most visceral show on TV.
Wire - again, much more than a cop show - similar to Shield in it's well-defined characters and plot, but still very different - the most intricate writing and plotting on TV - ever.
Deadwood - shockingly well-written - the best dialog since... um... Shakespeare. And the performances enhance the dialog even further.
Rescue Me - a fun "guys" soap opera - it gets a bit over-the-top, but the great writing, characters and actors make it all believable. Can go from flat-out hilarious to drop-dead serious on a turn of a dime without flinching.

(btw, all these shows have great dvds)
Old 06-06-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
In order, I did not include sitcoms or cartoons as I view them differently than action/drama shows.

The Wire
Deadwood
Rescue Me
Rome
Lost
The Shield
BSG
Sopranos
Old 06-06-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is definitely one of my top 3 favorite shows.

I also noticed the weird love triangles but I rationalize it this way. The choices for a mate went from billions to thousands (or less depending on which ship you are on) so weird and likely uncomfortable situations might be expected.

Regardless.....it is one great show IMHO!!!
Old 06-06-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely my #1 favorite show on TV right now. I haven't been this engrossed in a TV series since The X-Files.
Old 06-06-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have used the title I did for this thread. I don't really watch enough TV to speak definitively about one show vs. another.

I just got into it and have been very excited about it since the first moments of the miniseries. If you'd asked me a couple weeks ago, I probably would have said that Lost is the best thing on TV right now (though I'm rapidly losing interest in it).

Ironically, I'd been fairly dismissive of BSG up to that point...based on the original series not being my cup of tea. I haven't been this into a show since seasons 3-4 of Babylon 5...or seasons 2-3 of Buffy. I'm not even sure I was ever this "hooked" on Farscape, though it remains my favorite show ever (for now).
Old 06-06-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I sure agree. It's pretty damn involving. As a genre nut, it's right up there with my alltime favorites, and anytime that happens with an ongoing show it's something to celebrate.
Old 06-06-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did think BSG was one of the best shows on TV during season 1 through the first part of season 2. Season 2.5 lost me a bit, but the show is still fantastic. I do think the show gets out classed by The Shield, Deadwood, and The Wire in pretty much every way save special effects, but that isn't a knock on the show at all. BSG is a solid top 10.
Old 06-06-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

chess

You know, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have used the title I did for this thread. I don't really watch enough TV to speak definitively about one show vs. another.

I just got into it and have been very excited about it since the first moments of the miniseries.
I really respect that you'd say that. It's a shame you're not more interested in shows that aren't in the science fiction/fantasy type genres, because there's some incredible television out there. My undying love for shows like B5 and Buffy is well documented, but I'd hate to miss out on something like The Wire, which is making a case for being just about the best damn show ever.

It will be interesting to see what you think of the show when you watch the 2nd season. You're barely a third into what the rest of us have seen, and I agree with boredsilly. IMO, the 2nd half of the 2nd season is a mess, and they're really losing control of the characters, having their actions dictated more by plot contrivance than internal truth. It's still a good show, but it's in a dangerous place right now. I hope they recover for the 3rd season.

das
Old 06-06-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree with das Monkey about the 2nd half of the 2nd season. It definitely stumbled there, but I think it started to get back on track with The Captain's Hand. Part of me wishes they would just stick to 13 episodes a season. Hopefully the new direction will keep the momentum going in the right direction.
Old 06-06-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Shield
The Wire
Deadwood
Sopranos
Rescue Me
I'll agree with you on the HBO shows (especially The Wire, which is so good it shouldn't even count), but I think BSG is at least on par with the FX shows. Though I am only starting season 5 of The Shield, which allegedly gets really good.
Old 06-06-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I just read it last night. Other than the fact it seems none of the characters actually look like the real actors ( ), I enjoyed it as a first issue.

Seems to me that last page is something the series really could've explored over a couple episodes in an interesting way.
Picked this up on my way home. Very interesting sideplot. I don't know if I can keep up with it, honestly. Even if my friend manages the local comic shop. I may give it a full issue or so before I decide to drop it.
Old 06-06-06, 08:20 PM

I think the Shield has actually lost steam lately.

As far as comparing BSG to B5, there is no comparison. I found the acting and writing of B5 absolutely atrocious.

And while I'm a huge Farscape and Buffy fan, it's refreshing for me personally to see a Scifi series that does take itself seriously.

For me though it's too hard to definitively rank shows against each other. BSG is definitely up there with Buffy, Angel, Farscape, The Shield, and my comedic favorites the Office and Scrubs.
Old 06-06-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Burzmali

I found the acting and writing of B5 absolutely atrocious.
How far did you get?

das
Old 06-06-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Babylon 5 being terrible

Originally Posted by das Monkey
How far did you get?

das
That's what I was wondering. The only reason B5 isn't my favorite show ever is a weak first season and a half...and an almost unbearable 5th season. But it picked up steam at the end of the second season, and it just never let up...getting better and better all the way through the end of season 4.
Old 06-06-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cartload
I have to agree with das Monkey about the 2nd half of the 2nd season. It definitely stumbled there, but I think it started to get back on track with The Captain's Hand. Part of me wishes they would just stick to 13 episodes a season. Hopefully the new direction will keep the momentum going in the right direction.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm four eps into the second season, and I'm having an awfully hard time resisting the urge to watch another disk.
Old 06-06-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood etc.

I'm not sure where my bias comes from, but anything beyond basic cable, I don't even consider it to be TV in the traditional sense. Perhaps it's just that I'm not willing to pay for it.

That said, Deadwood looks really really really good.
Old 06-07-06, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
How far did you get?

das
Finished Season 4. I heard Season 5 was worse, so I saw no point in continuing.

The plot arcs were pretty good, but not anything super compelling.

It's weird, cause I know that you and I share similar tastes. I'm a huge Farscape and Buffyverse fan.

*shrug*

What about BSG is it that you find off-putting?
Old 06-07-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That said, Deadwood looks really really really good.
It's even better than that...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.