DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? -Season Premiere May 25, 2006 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/466813-so-you-think-you-can-dance-season-premiere-may-25-2006-a.html)

Timber 07-05-06 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy
God, Fox is fucking milking this 2 hours with the audition shit again.

Yup and because I'm in love with Cat Deeley I can't help but watch it, well FF through the auditions and watch her intros.

magiccmom 07-05-06 11:29 PM

Jamyz and Jessica cant catch a break! I guess I want Jamyz and Ashlee to go home because I would really like to see Jessica and Dimitri together. Musa and Natalie, Allison and Ivan, Martha and Travis, Benji and Donelle? ALL HOT HOT HOT (insert Mary scream here) I would like the finals to be Natalie and Benji...with Natalie winning it all.

DRG 07-06-06 09:31 AM

I was actually glad to see the audition stuff there at the beginning, because it made it easier to fast forward through (as opposed to filling the show with filler throughout).

I didn't really think there was a bad performance last night. Benji/Donelle and Musa/Natalie were my top two. Allison/Ivan were not far behind them. Heidi/Ryan was much better than expected, although I would've like to see a few more paired moves in that routine (not their fault). Ashlee/Dmitri was fun, although I couldn't really ascertain the dancing ability out of that. Travis/Martha was fun to watch, but I didn't feel that spark, that sexiness that usually comes in latin dances. Jessica/Jaymz were game and did their best, but I agree with the judges that it just didn't feel right.

I can't imagine who'll go home. Ashlee and Jaymz makes sense, but they could also can Jessica for the no personality thing, or Dmitri for not connecting with partners. Of course that's if they are in the bottom three.

Goldberg74 07-06-06 09:46 AM

I loved the part where Benji was searching for his inner Dimitry. That was classic.

magiccmom 07-06-06 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I loved the part where Benji was searching for his inner Dimitry. That was classic.

I agree. That was so hysterical!! The whole clip was so enjoyable to watch. He is such a great personality and his dance is phenomenal.

zuffy 07-06-06 04:20 PM

Anyone noticed that Martha is pretty muscular and her biscips are much bigger than Travis? Whenever she wear those sleeveless dress or shirt, it pretty pronounce. I think she can kick Travis ass with one hand. :lol:

Aphex Twin 07-06-06 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
Yup and because I'm in love with Cat Deeley I can't help but watch it, well FF through the auditions and watch her intros.

Is that the flat-chested girl? Why the hell was she wearing that dress? She should wear more padded stuff.

zuffy 07-06-06 05:58 PM

Cat Deeley is no Lauren Sanchez, in look and body curve.

magiccmom 07-06-06 07:44 PM

Cat Deeley is no Lauren Sanchez, in look and body curve.

....and speech

parker63 07-06-06 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
....and speech

Oh, come on now....let's leave that up to the "jiidges"...

Yeah, she's buggin' me...bring back Lauren!

Goldberg74 07-06-06 10:42 PM

Going home on July 6th...

:wave:

Spoiler:
Jessic'er* and Jaymz

* As Cat would pronounce it.

onebyone 07-07-06 11:45 AM

That one was a big fat no brainer last night.
Spoiler:
The only mystery is that, after Jaymz's 19th nervous breakdown, they even considered sending someone else home. Hell, after he fell off stage, I still can't quite believe they didn't send him home last week. I'll miss him though. He was good sometimes, and it always spices things up to have someone unstable in the mix.

I am going to be sad when they break up the couples for solo dancing. I have become quite attached to two of the couples and damn it, I want to see them together.

I am a big fan of the Dance for your Life segments, and they were great this week. I am starting to think everything in life should be decided just.like.that.

magiccmom 07-07-06 05:00 PM

AAAAh, I mistakenly erased the elimination show last night and didnt get to watch! Can someone please fill me in on the bottom 3, the solos, and what the judges comments were???? I will be forever grateful :flowers:

fujishig 07-07-06 05:39 PM

Bottom three were:
Jaymz and Jessica
Ryan and Heidi
Ivan and Allison

Allison was the first girl safe... Nigel said that although they might not agree with Mary that she's the favorite to win it all, she is one of the best dancers, and deserved to stay. Heidi they complemented on her bubbly personality and technical proficiency, and though Jessica was technically a great dancer, they had to let her go because she just didn't exude the personality that she said she had.

Ivan was actually the first guy safe... they said pretty much what they've said about him before, that he's not really a great dancer but that he is great at what he does, and he is improving, which is one of the points of watching the show. They said that Ryan wasn't really showing the energy and excitement they wanted him to bring to the competition. They asked Jaymz what his proficiency was, to show that he wasn't serious about dancing for his life, as he chose to do a pasa doble (not his strength) seemingly on a whim. They then cut Jaymz, although they said that Mary wanted him to stay and had to be convinced otherwise (she wanted Ryan to go).

So if they don't go to singles next week, the couples don't change anyway. Doing the judging this way this season really lets the judges control who goes, and ensures that their favorites stay. I think they have to let the audience decide when it comes to the final two, maybe even before that, but by that time only the best dancers will be left. I mean, I like Musa and all, and I'm amazed that he's never been in the bottom three, but he's not winning it all and dancing for Celine next year.

Original Desmond 07-09-06 06:15 AM

I think at this stage it is good the judges still control who ultimately goes.

The fact is with something as technical as dancing, the public does NOT know best. the judges know who have the best ultimate potential.

In too many reality shows the public have voted off true talent too early on and have kept on 'gimmicky' type contestants because all the voting 11 year old girls know jack shit.

Of course at some point in time, they will have to turn it over 100% to the public.

I'm happy enough that there aren't any bad dancers left, they are all pretty damm good.

Ivan's solo was amazing, very cool.

Natalie i think is my fav female followed by Allison.

Glad that Jaymz went, he shot himself in the foot with that tantrum about styles.

And i definitely prefer Cat Deeley to Lauren Sanchez though id do both of them :)

magiccmom 07-13-06 12:12 AM

That dance by Allison and Ivan was a joy to watch! Allison is so talented and has such a feel for the music...She is truly talented, and I wanted Ivan gone in the first couple of episodes but I gotta tell you he puts heart and sould into his dance and is amazing to see how far he has gone. The Argentine Tango and this contempary dance was unbelievable, and I am a true fan.

I think the bottom 3 are Dimitri and Ashlee, Natalie and Musa, and either Ryan & Heidi , or Ivan and Martha. Musa and Natalie will Def. not go home, they just didnt nail their dance this week. I'm thinking Dimitri's time is up or Ryan, perferably Ryan, and Ashlee needs to go. Would love to see Heidi and Dimitri stir up some heat, though I dont know how many times he can land in the bottom 3 without going home.

I'll watch Allison and Ivan's dance again and again. It was beautiful.

onebyone 07-13-06 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
That dance by Allison and Ivan was a joy to watch! Allison is so talented and has such a feel for the music...She is truly talented, and I wanted Ivan gone in the first couple of episodes but I gotta tell you he puts heart and sould into his dance and is amazing to see how far he has gone. The Argentine Tango and this contempary dance was unbelievable, and I am a true fan.

I think the bottom 3 are Dimitri and Ashlee, Natalie and Musa, and either Ryan & Heidi , or Ivan and Martha. Musa and Natalie will Def. not go home, they just didnt nail their dance this week. I'm thinking Dimitri's time is up or Ryan, perferably Ryan, and Ashlee needs to go. Would love to see Heidi and Dimitri stir up some heat, though I dont know how many times he can land in the bottom 3 without going home.

Dimitri and Ashlee and Natalie and Musa's routines were totally flat. It's like they weren't really finished or something. I was very disappointed because I have been waiting for weeks for Musa to do a routine like that, and then it looks like they just made it up on the spot. So disappointing.

I never really felt Allison and Ivan before, but they were really exceptional this week. Nothing to cry over, but still a real joy to watch. Ivan shocked the hell out of me with that performance. I thought he needed to go for awhile now, but ummm, maybe not.

Benji and Donyelle were also fabulous, as usual. I am going to be so sad when they break up the couples. I need my weekly Benji and Donyelle like I need my morning coffee.

Goldberg74 07-13-06 08:42 AM

Allison/Ivan and Donyelle/Benji are unstoppable... I too will be sad to see them split up next week. Once that happens all of the others will slowly slide away and in the end Benji, Allison and Donyelle will be left standing.

But there can be only one...

zuffy 07-13-06 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I never really felt Allison and Ivan before, but they were really exceptional this week. Nothing to cry over, but still a real joy to watch. Ivan shocked the hell out of me with that performance. I thought he needed to go for awhile now, but ummm, maybe not.

Same here, I wanted Ivan gone when he at the bottom 3 but last night performance was excellent, especially Allison :drool:

fujishig 07-13-06 01:36 PM

I was surprised at all the love for Benji and Donyelle... I thought it was good, but for the judges to fawn over both of them like that... wow.

I also thought it interesting that pretty much all three judges ripped Dan's arrangement for Dmitri/Ashley, and then Kat even asked the question directly... it was instantly deflected by Brian, but I liked that she didn't just let it slide. I wonder if it was just backlash against the whole "pop is watered down hiphop with some jazz" or what. I've never seen them crucify a routine like that before...

DRG 07-13-06 02:12 PM

Natalie/Musa was a disappointment. Flashes of brilliance in Musa, but the routine was really weak IMO. Natalie had little to do but shake her ass, which I like - don't get me wrong. :) But there just was not a big wow there. The whole thing felt like a contemporary routine with hip hop moves. The synchronized moves were not good at all.

Heidi/Ryan I enjoyed. Probably my third favorite of the night. I love Heidi in these sorts of styles. Ryan was decent in the support role here.

Ivan/Allison was fantastic. I'm not a big fan of contemporary, but that was captivating.

Ashlee/Dmitri had a terible routine. Dmitri just looks lost in these styles. Ashlee hits the moves well, but I don't feel any life in it.

Travis/Martha... not bad really, but these two just haven't excited me since the first week. I can't really explain why. Maybe their personalities are being overshadowed, I don't know.

Benji/Donyelle was a lot of fun. Sure, it was a bit corny but that's the style. Their energy is infectious.

As for who's going home? I imagine for the girls, Ashlee is the likely target. It's actually tough to come up with a second choice. Heidi always brings it in the do or die spots, she caried them last night, and her personality is great so I 'd be surprised if they got rid of her. For the guys Dmitri is another big target, with Ryan as a possible second. I suppose Travis and Martha could be targets if they are in the bottom three and do poorly on the individual dances, simply because they seem to be backsliding a bit where the others have been improving week-to-week.

zuffy 07-13-06 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I also thought it interesting that pretty much all three judges ripped Dan's arrangement for Dmitri/Ashley, and then Kat even asked the question directly... it was instantly deflected by Brian, but I liked that she didn't just let it slide. I wonder if it was just backlash against the whole "pop is watered down hiphop with some jazz" or what. I've never seen them crucify a routine like that before...

All of Dan's arrangements suck. I was glad Blake from last season said Dan is overrated.

magiccmom 07-13-06 06:05 PM

I agree that choreography was a little weak, but sometimes you gotta choreograph to your dancer, and he had a ballroom/popper combo. Didnt have much to work with.

zuffy 07-13-06 07:49 PM

Look at all the choreographies that Dan taught in season 1, they suck just like in season 2. Brian Freeman does a much better job.

onebyone 07-13-06 09:11 PM

Spoiler:
I wasn't prepared for my Musa to go. I was so convinced he saved himself with that solo, and then he goes regardless. I thought for sure it would be Dmitry, because you don't end up in the bottom that many times by no fault of your own, but no. It's my Musa. Add that to the fact Benji and Donyelle is forced to break up next week and I am just not happy at all.

Of course, I will be tuning in next week, but until then... meh.

zuffy 07-14-06 09:51 AM

I was really surprised it was a unanimous decision to let Musa go. I swear it would be Dimitri. Musa is like a better version of last season's Jamal imo. Are the judges afraid that if they don't let Musa go, his fan base might actually make him the winner of season 2?

Goldberg74 07-14-06 10:01 AM

The guy'w will be eliminated as follows...

Dimitri
Ryan
Travis
Ivan
... leaving Benji in the top 2.

Gals will go in this order...

Martha
Heidi
Natalie
Donyelle
... leaving Allison in the top 2.

And we'll have Allison v. Benji (or Donyelle v. Benji).

Either way, these last 4 weeks are going to be great.

DRG 07-14-06 10:04 AM

While I didn't think Musa should go, I understood it from a show perspective. He's one of those dancers who is so dynamic in the individual dances, and his style is so flashy, that he could probably cruise through to victory (or at least the end) now that the voting is based on individual votes... despite whatever he does in the other styles. This was the judge' last opportunity to shape the show, for better of worse. They probably figure Dmitri will leave based on audience vote anyway.

DRG 07-14-06 10:17 AM

Dimitri
Ryan
Travis
Ivan

Martha
Heidi
Natalie
Donyelle

And we'll have Allison v. Benji (or Donyelle v. Benji).

Either way, these last 4 weeks are going to be great.

I agree with a lot of these. I think its possible Ryan could go before Dimitri, as Ryan's been sort of piggybacking a bit off Heidi's likability IMO. Donyelle is a question mark depending on her injury, although that would likely be only if she had to drop out as I think she'd get audience votes either way. All in all pretty solid predictions.

magiccmom 07-14-06 11:12 AM

So glad Travis was in the bottom 3 this week. The only reason being is so we could see his amazing solo, his passion for his dance, and the fact he belongs with Benji battling for the final 2 male dancers.

Allison is amazing and will be in the final 2 female dancers, but I think Natalie could battle Donelle for the other spot. It will be interesting to see how Donelle does on her own.

We are gonna see some amazing dancers!

Ginwen 07-14-06 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
While I didn't think Musa should go, I understood it from a show perspective. He's one of those dancers who is so dynamic in the individual dances, and his style is so flashy, that he could probably cruise through to victory (or at least the end) now that the voting is based on individual votes... despite whatever he does in the other styles. This was the judge' last opportunity to shape the show, for better of worse. They probably figure Dmitri will leave based on audience vote anyway.

I thought (other than this week actually) Musa was terrible, so I was glad to see him go (although I expected it to be Dimitri). Ashlee was a pretty obvious choice.

Now that they are switching partners, Heidi has a 60% of getting a partner she's danced with before-she danced with Ryan on the show and Benji in West Coast Swing Competitions (where they've won the US Open a bunch of times), and she's also been dancing for a while with Dimitri in Latin Dancing competitions.

gryffinmaster 07-14-06 11:24 AM

Dimitri
Ryan
Travis
Ivan

Martha
Heidi
Natalie
Donyelle

Agreed, just about 100%.

It'll be close between whether Benji or Ivan hold more of the public's support, however. I still think Travis has the most fervor behind his talent, which REALLY shows through in his solos. Travis just needs to work on his adaptability to the other styles.

Allison ... :up::up: [/season]

onebyone 07-14-06 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DRG

After rewatching the show, that is what I think too. Dmitry is no better outside of his area of expertise than Musa is. With the format change next week, I doubt they thought they would get ever get rid of Musa so this was their last chance. Dmitry gets his mail forwarded to the bottom three so I can't imagine they are too worried he is going to win, although Mary probably wouldn't mind.

That said, I can't wait to see the crazy amount of dancing next week, although I know I am going to miss Musa. I hope Donyelle is going to be ok. She's so good and deserves to fight for the title.

fujishig 07-14-06 01:27 PM

I was really surprised it was a unanimous decision to let Musa go. I swear it would be Dimitri. Musa is like a better version of last season's Jamal imo. Are the judges afraid that if they don't let Musa go, his fan base might actually make him the winner of season 2?

Wasn't the guy's name Jamile? And he made it to the final three pretty much on popularity alone, so I could see why the judges would want to curtail that while they still could.

zuffy 07-14-06 09:22 PM

Guess I wasn't the only one thinking alone the same line regarding Musa's departure.

Original Desmond 07-16-06 05:04 AM

Yes obviously the judges have a very slight biased against street dancers, not a lot but i saw the same thing last year.

But Natalie and Musa were in the bottom 3 voted by the public ! so that says something.

Last year i thought Ryan would get to the end based on popularity alone but it didn't happen

im happy enough with the Top 10. I think one of the girls will win it this year.

and yeah Dan's choreography is crap (Blake got that right last year). Shane Sparks in comparison is a genius.

is Brian Friedman gay ? I've recently watched all of season 1 in a week and he's just too stylish to be straight !

30 secs is too short for the solos 50 secs would be better

Great show and am looking forward to the triple performances.

zuffy 07-17-06 09:31 AM

I agree, Brian Friedman is too stylish to be straight. I agree on the solo dance too. 30 seconds is too short, give the dancers 60 seconds instead of wasting that valuable time on teasing America with whom on the bottom 3.

magiccmom 07-17-06 10:38 AM

It's hard to actually have a choreographed dance in 30 seconds...you just throwing all your tricks in there...60 seconds will give more flow and feeling.

Tommy Ceez 07-17-06 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
is Brian Friedman gay ? I've recently watched all of season 1 in a week and he's just too stylish to be straight !

The fact that you even ask this shows that your gaydar is totaled, and you need to contact the insurance company

chowderhead 07-17-06 03:51 PM

I watch this show off an on. I believe, that if the judges are allowed to select who leaves after the public votes, then the judges shouldn't be choreographing any dances throughout the season. I know they don't judge the week they choreograph a team but I am sure by working with the teams, they develop favorites. Anyway, I cannot believe that dorky Benji is so popular.