DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ***NBC Changed Fall Schedule*** (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/466713-%2A%2A%2Anbc-changed-fall-schedule%2A%2A%2A.html)

Red Dog 05-25-06 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Hope they don't have to tone down some of The Office's more adult material with it moving up an hour.

I worried about that in the previous schedule thread.

Chew 05-26-06 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Hope they don't have to tone down some of The Office's more adult material with it moving up an hour.

I think a yearly complaint about Friends in the 8/7 "family hour" timeslot was all the sex talk. I think Office will be OK.

Nesbit 05-26-06 09:38 AM

Oh yeah. Friends could get pretty steamy...

rfduncan 05-26-06 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
That sucks. I was one of my favorite new shows of the season.

NBC just doesn't want to admit that Friday night is NOT a big ratings night. They cancelled Law and Order:Trial By Jury for the same reason LAST year.

Sucks about Medium, but I'm sure it is just waiting in the wings when one of these new shows gets knee-jerk the early hook from the NBC execs. Which only means it will just start its season later than the rest of the primetime line up.

Jimmy James 05-26-06 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I worried about that in the previous schedule thread.

Crossing Jordan airs half an hour earlier. I think The Office will be okay as is.

Jimmy James 05-26-06 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I could not be more in TOTAL disagreement. This really sucks.

Truly.

Yep. I agree with you. I thought NBC's schedule was the strongest one after everything was introduced. Sure, they'd need to move Studio 60. That wasn't a huge problem, though. They could have easily moved it to say Wednesdays at 8, and moved either the Wednesdays at 8 or 9 block to Thursdays at 9. That's a simple fix implicating 3 hours of programming at most.

Instead, they have made a total mess of things. Leading one L&O into another is a BAD IDEA. Bumping Medium to midseason is a bad idea when they have a show like CJ with a proven loyal audience they could have done that to instead. Debuting two new shows in a row on Mondays is not a particularly smart idea, particularly when the Monday night pie is going to be the smallest network pie of the (Sunday-Thursday) week due to MNF on ESPN.

ETA: I do think L&O to Fridays was a genius move. It may extend the life of that show at least a couple more seasons.

DRG 05-26-06 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Sure, they'd need to move Studio 60. That wasn't a huge problem, though. They could have easily moved it to say Wednesdays at 8, and moved either the Wednesdays at 8 or 9 block to Thursdays at 9. That's a simple fix implicating 3 hours of programming at most..

Moving Biggest Loser to that spot would instantly kill that semi-successful franchise. Moving two new comedies there would kill them before they even had a chance. Deal or no Deal is a no-lose venture. If it hasn't died out in popularity Millionaire-style by that point, then a failure on Thursday won't matter because they still have the Monday edition.

Instead, they have made a total mess of things. Leading one L&O into another is a BAD IDEA. Bumping Medium to midseason is a bad idea when they have a show like CJ with a proven loyal audience they could have done that to instead. Debuting two new shows in a row on Mondays is not a particularly smart idea, particularly when the Monday night pie is going to be the smallest network pie of the (Sunday-Thursday) week due to MNF on ESPN.

I think the Medium/Jordan switch has to do with that Friday at 8 timeslot. They didn't want to put Medium up against the similar Ghost Whisperer, especially since Medium has softened in the ratings a bit this season.

I suppose they could have left Jordan off as planned, and done this:

Medium - Monday at 10 (Probably what will end up happening by midseason anyway)
Studio 60 - Tuesday at 9 (Tough competition from House and The Unit)
L&O CI - Wednesday at 10 (Swapping one L&O for another in this slot)
Kidnapped - Friday at 8 (Might doom it from the start, but maybe not)

Tarnower 05-26-06 06:53 PM

Oh no. "The Office" and "My Name is Earl" are now going up against "Survivor" at 8 on Thursdays. Also, I thought Donald Trump's "Apprentice" was going to have a new season with Los Angeles as the environment. Was supposed to be on this fall, I thought. What's up with "The Apprentice"?

lordwow 05-26-06 06:58 PM

They move ER BACK? Unbelievable. ER is closer to death than L&O.

Jimmy James 05-26-06 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
They move ER BACK? Unbelievable. ER is closer to death than L&O.

Move it back where?

Jimmy James 05-26-06 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Moving two new comedies there would kill them before they even had a chance.

I'm not so sure about that. If I'm not mistaken, they would be the only comedies on Thursdays at 9. You could move MNIE or The Office to 9 and have your traditional 2-hour comedy block, too.

Philly30 05-27-06 03:18 AM

Is the apprentice coming back again?

Jimmy James 05-27-06 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Philly30
Is the apprentice coming back again?

It is slated for midseason.

I think NBC is missing out on an opportunity to reposition the show as a summer show here. If I were them, I think I'd sit it even longer than planned and debut it during the tail end of May sweeps. I would certainly watch it during a time when nothing else is on, but it just isn't good enough to cut it during the season.

lordwow 05-27-06 10:08 AM

Move it back where?

To Thursday Nights @ 10.

ShallowHal 05-27-06 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Law & Order on Fridays?

Show some respect!

I agree. They never stick with shows long enough to create hits, they can't just throw new shows around and expect them all to become The Office. It's too bad they dropped Heist, they had my Wednesdays locked up.

NBC only has 3 shows for me in September:
L&O: CI
L&O
The Office
(Scrubs needs to be a fall show).

ABC has nothing for me, and CBS owns my Monday (minus Christine).

Jimmy James 05-27-06 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
To Thursday Nights @ 10.

It never left.

Rogue588 05-27-06 06:13 PM

I'm not so sure about that. If I'm not mistaken, they would be the only comedies on Thursdays at 9. You could move MNIE or The Office to 9 and have your traditional 2-hour comedy block, too.

Shit, they could always move the Office and MNIE to Sci-Fi..

Jimmy James 05-27-06 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Shit, they could always move the Office and MNIE to Sci-Fi..

I thought that's where they were going to shop the L&O reruns next time the contracts run out.

aynrandgirl 05-27-06 07:21 PM

<blockquote>
Haha, NBC wanted none of that Thursday 9 p.m. thrashing by CSI or Grey's Anatomy (moving Studio 60 to a not so good timeslot IMO, 10 p.m. Mondays).
</blockquote>
Apparently ABC wants to get thrashed by CBS.

mongoco 05-28-06 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
<blockquote>
Haha, NBC wanted none of that Thursday 9 p.m. thrashing by CSI or Grey's Anatomy (moving Studio 60 to a not so good timeslot IMO, 10 p.m. Mondays).
</blockquote>
Apparently ABC wants to get thrashed by CBS.

I dunno. I think Grey's has a great chance of winning the slot.
CSI has to go down sometime.

Dash 05-28-06 04:46 PM

I wish they would just drop scrubs, they dont give the show the support it needs. Let abc pick it up!

Jimmy James 05-28-06 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dashed
I wish they would just drop scrubs, they dont give the show the support it needs. Let abc pick it up!

You mean ABC, the network that cancelled the likes of Sports Night, Eyes, and Miracles? The network where Scrubs probably wouldn't have made it this long? The one that screwed up a hit in Commander in Chief just last year?

Yeah. That's a great idea.