Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which reality shows are actual reality shows and not game shows?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Most reality shows have nothing to do with reality. Survivor is a game show. Next Top Model, Next Food Network Star, etc. are all game shows. There is really little difference between them and Deal Or No Deal.

But shows that are actually reality shows are like Deadliest Catch. What are others?
Old 05-22-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though the subject matter may not necessarily be based in "reality," Ghosthunters is a great example.

And what about shows like The Osbornes, The Girls Next Door, etc?
Old 05-22-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Basically anything on VH1. Hogan Knows Best, The Surreal Life, My Fair Brady

I watch them all.
Old 05-22-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
I think Survivor is a reality show. It shows them "living life" (at camp inbetween challenges) as if the cameras aren't there (except for interviews). That's cinema verite.

Deal or No Deal and American Idol don't have the "living life as if cameras aren't there" component. They're just game shows/talent shows.

I think that's the difference.
Old 05-22-06, 04:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The term 'reality show' covers a pretty large canvas. I think of game shows as shows set in a studio like Deal or No Deal, Millionaire, Jeopardy, etc. Stuff like Survivor, Amazing Race, Top Model I would consider competitive reality shows. Things like Deadliest Catch are more like documentaries... an interesting term I heard for this type of show was reality drama or unscripted drama. Which I suppose would make something like The Osbournes a "reality comedy"?
Old 05-22-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
I've heard Dog the Bounty Hunter described as a "real-life show" as opposed to a reality show
Old 05-22-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
I think Survivor is a reality show. It shows them "living life" (at camp inbetween challenges) as if the cameras aren't there (except for interviews). That's cinema verite.
But they are put in a situation for the show. That isn't reality. In the end, they are competing to win money. That's a game show to me.

It probably does depend a lot on what people think "reality" means.
Old 05-22-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

american choppers
little people big world (not sure if the title is right)
Old 05-22-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
But they are put in a situation for the show. That isn't reality. In the end, they are competing to win money. That's a game show to me.

It probably does depend a lot on what people think "reality" means.
So how would you describe a show like Real World? They are being put into a situation for a show, but it's definitely not a game show. Does that make it an anti-reality reality show?

And let's face it, no matter the concept, if you are following people around constantly with a camera, you are at least slightly altering the reality of their lives. I would say that one of the only shows that doesn't do that is Big Brother because they have cameras all over the house but no cameramen inside the house filming (at least that I know of). I think this would achieve the closest thing to reality, although admittedly a slightly manufactured reality, because it's a situation where people can more easily forget about the cameras.

Last edited by clckworang; 05-22-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's something simple: When people are playing for a cash prize, it's a Game Show.

Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother, Real World/Road Rules Challenge... Game Shows.
American Idol, America's Next Top Model... Talent Shows.
Old 05-22-06, 09:00 PM

There's that show on CNN ... what's it called again?
Old 05-22-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lost
Prison Break
Doctor Who

Those are the only three I can think of.
Old 05-23-06, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Basically anything on VH1. Hogan Knows Best, The Surreal Life, My Fair Brady

I watch them all.

Same here. They all rock! Did you see the previews for My Fair Brady? Wow....
Old 05-23-06, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
PBS has Texas Ranch House and the rest of the "house" series. You actually learn historical facts during these shows and you get to see modern folks live in situations from the past.

Texas Ranch House
1900 House
1940's House

I think there's more but I can't remember the names.
Old 05-23-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rollergirls - and quite an awesome show at that.

How about COPS?
Old 05-25-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hogan Knows Best, Punk'D, Newlywed's,
Old 05-26-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is actually real about any reality show? These shows are as real as Curb Your Enthusiasm is real. Now, Big World Little People, Deadliest Catch, Dog, Cops, An American Family and even The Osbornes and Hogan Knows Best are not reality shows, per se. They are documentaries. In some cases it's banal and trivial but they document something. The drama (conflict) are produced by editing (sometimes) not by writers/producers. Survivor, Amazing Race, Top Chef, Big Brother, The Bachelor(ette), Bigest Loser are game shows. period. There is no reality to them. The others like the VH1/MTV reality tv shows (Real World, Surreal Life, etc) are sitcoms. They might not be scripted but they are driven by scenarios and situations created by the producers.
Old 05-26-06, 01:48 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Part of the initial popularity of some of these reality shows like Survivor were that the contestants were non-actors with real jobs like accountant or truck driver, etc, who were put into these extraordinary circumstances. This even held true for talent shows like American Idol and dating shows like Bachelor. The reality of these shows was that these were not actors and their responses to situations given to them were honest and unpredicable.

Unfortunately with the popularity brings in the 'ringers' which are people who already want to be actors or models or whatever and go on these reality shows to beef up their resume. They play the role that the producers want to get as much face time as possible.

Even with American Idol, Kelly Clarkson wasn't really a waitress in Texas who dreamed of singing, she was already a recording artist who had moved to L.A. to shop a demo. Performers like Bo Bice and Taylor Hicks have performed hundreds of shows in front of large audiences before Idol.
Old 05-26-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
Part of the initial popularity of some of these reality shows like Survivor were that the contestants were non-actors with real jobs like accountant or truck driver, etc, who were put into these extraordinary circumstances. This even held true for talent shows like American Idol and dating shows like Bachelor. The reality of these shows was that these were not actors and their responses to situations given to them were honest and unpredicable.
It's not reality it's a game show. The only difference between the Bachelor and the Dating Game are the stage, the length of the game and the number contestants. Survivor has a different stage and more sophisticated rules than Beat the Clock, Double Dare, Gladiator and the like. but they are essentially the same game. Accomplish certain tasks, survive and you win. In most game shows the "contestants were non-actors with real jobs like accountant or truck driver, etc, who were put into these extraordinary circumstances." It is a controlled environment. It's nothing more than a game show. It's not real. Ringers or not, actors or not it's a game show.
Old 05-26-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
American Hot Rod on Discovery Channel. Boyd Coddington and his crew somehow get cool cars built under deadline despite themselves.

The Real Housewives of Orange County. I started a thread about that but it doesn't show up in a search.

Gastineau Girls on E! Here's a thread I started:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ight=gastineau
Old 05-28-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no such thing as "actual reality" on a reality show. I don't care what show it is. All reality shows are staged to a degree, including re-filming 'real-life' so they can get it at a better angle or a better take.

I saw some of a reality show being filmed (no challenges involved or anything, just supposed to be the person living their daily life) and the person was just signing their name on a piece of paper...The producer made them walk into the room, sign the paper, and sit down for 3 seperate takes until they got the one that they liked. They told him to walk in the room, sign his name in on the sign in sheet, and then go sit in the corner. Basically, it wasn't him living his life, it was him doing (and re-doing) what they wanted him to do.
Old 05-28-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
America's Most Wanted
Cops

all other "reality" shows are staged crap
Old 05-28-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
There is no such thing as "actual reality" on a reality show. I don't care what show it is. All reality shows are staged to a degree, including re-filming 'real-life' so they can get it at a better angle or a better take.

I saw some of a reality show being filmed (no challenges involved or anything, just supposed to be the person living their daily life) and the person was just signing their name on a piece of paper...The producer made them walk into the room, sign the paper, and sit down for 3 seperate takes until they got the one that they liked. They told him to walk in the room, sign his name in on the sign in sheet, and then go sit in the corner. Basically, it wasn't him living his life, it was him doing (and re-doing) what they wanted him to do.
That's kind of like that American Express commercial with Martin Scorsese unhappy about how pictures of a kid's birthday party turned out. "How would you like to turn 12 again?"
Old 05-29-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
America's Most Wanted
Cops

all other "reality" shows are staged crap
awh ya beat me to it. I guess it really depends on your definition. Something like american chopper might qualify...
Old 05-29-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
I've heard Dog the Bounty Hunter described as a "real-life show" as opposed to a reality show

I despise reality shows with a passion, but have recently caught a few episodes of Dog. It is a pretty solid show. I like it. Definitely NOT a game show.