Ian McShane - Deadwood

~Jason
Old 05-17-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Tony Shalhoub - Monk

What is the show without him?
Ah, but he's the title character. He doesn't fit within the rules. Mind you, the rules also mention no "main" characters even though the OP goes on to list mostly main characters without whom the shows would not go on.
Old 05-17-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'm shocked nobody has named Michael Chiklis. The Shield wouldn't be possible without him.

Going back a while, I think you'd have to say that Larry Hagman was Dallas.
I was coming in here to say that but the more I think about it I am starting to think that Walton Goggins/Shane Vendrell is more important simply because Shane is such an asshole/racist f**k up that it makes you like Vic more. I remember through the whole 4th season I was rooting for Vic to come out over Shane totally forgeting Vic is just as dirty (if not more) than Shane.
Also many of the tight situations that the Strike Team find themselves are often due to Shane screwing up. The stolen dope in S1, His stolen badge leading to a rape in S2, Tavon, Angie (the girl Antwon killed with his gun), and Lem

Chiklis is an awsome, awsome actor but without Shane I don't think he would go over with audiences as well.
Old 05-17-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, but he's the title character. He doesn't fit within the rules. Mind you, the rules also mention no "main" characters even though the OP goes on to list mostly main characters without whom the shows would not go on.
I guess it would help to read further, I just saw Jack Bauer mentioned and went ahead with the posting. oops
Old 05-17-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must say that's a very compelling argument for Shane. My wife and I hate Shane. That's really quite an accomplishment, particularly on a show where we love Vic when Vic has done pretty much the same stuff. I think you're right. I'd argue you need both of them for the show to function.
Old 05-17-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I guess it would help to read further, I just saw Jack Bauer mentioned and went ahead with the posting. oops

I was really riffing on the OP more than on you. I totally see why you posted what you did. It's a tiny hair he's splitting if you ask me.
Old 05-17-06, 03:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd say any of the four on How I Met Your Mother.
Old 05-17-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Al Sweringan (Sp?) on Deadwood. He arguably isn't the lead but with the town practically running through him, I think the loss of him would hurt the show to no end.
Old 05-17-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I should've worded that better. What I meant was that there are certain shows that couldn't go on without them. If Tom Welling decided to quit "Smallville" (for whatever reason), I highly doubt they could continue the show. The one's I listed, the shows could still go on without them (though I argue the ratings would take a fall). I think this primarily applies to ensemble shows (though "American Idol" and others are exceptions).
Old 05-17-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can we include older shows? if so, i'll vote for alan alda on M*A*S*H -- everyone in this ensemble (except for klinger and hot lips) was replaced at one point or another.
Old 05-17-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Well, it became apparent the X-files was for squat without Duchovney/Anderson. So there's my vote.
Old 05-18-06, 07:09 PM

Another one that became painfully obvious by this entire humorless season:
Topher Grace - That 70's Show
Even Ashton Kutcher's character was painfull to sit through when he was still on.
Old 05-18-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman

William L. Petersen, "CSI" - Rumors have been flying that he could depart at any time... But, they give him more power (executive producer) and money.

Vincent D'Onofrio, "Law & Order: CI" - With the show moving to Fridays, it might be over anyways, depending on what kind of drop off it gets.

D'Onofrio? I only started regularly watching CI this year because of Noth/Sciorra. Can't stand the Goren character.

As for William Petersen, I don't know. The other CSIs do pretty damn well and they are pretty much crap. I think the main CSI could still do very well w/o him, even though I think he is a very good character.

My top ones are:

Dennis Leary
James Gandolfini
Michael Chiklis
James Spader
Ian McShane

....which ironically reads like a Best Actor list.

edit: oh and to whomever said Larry Hagman as J.R. - that would be #1 in tv history.
Old 05-18-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Vincent D'Onofrio, "Law & Order: CI"
nope
the Logan episodes are better
Old 05-18-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm...

Cartman from Southpark..
Old 05-18-06, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by U6C84
Umm...

Cartman from Southpark..

Definitely!

I will zip up my flame proof suit before I say this, but Jeff Probst on Survivor. I do not think that anyone else could replace him in that spot. After over 10 seasons he is as much a part of the show as the theme song.
Old 05-18-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that, for some, Vincent D'Onofrio is vital to "Law & Order: CI." I certainly can't stand to watch the episodes he isn't in. Of course, important to one is "please leave oh god won't you die?" to another.

Originally Posted by kdubby
I will zip up my flame proof suit before I say this, but Jeff Probst on Survivor. I do not think that anyone else could replace him in that spot. After over 10 seasons he is as much a part of the show as the theme song.
Agreed. I swear he sometimes keeps that show together by sheer force of will.
Old 05-18-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by lookslikeme
Good call. I just thought about that one after the finale tonight. He kept the show together, even when it started going downhill a few years ago.
Old 05-19-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

grey's anatomy - sandra oh
desperate housewives - anyone not named teri
simspsons - any of the simpson voices
Old 05-19-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lookslikeme
Even Ashton Kutcher's character was painfull to sit through when he was still on.
AGREED! Goes to show you that even an "ensemble" cast wasnt really an ensemble when the whole spirit of the show was gone when he left. They couldnt carry that show without him.
Old 05-19-06, 08:34 AM

Randy on "My Name is Earl".

And Phil on TAR
Old 05-19-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Meteu185
Randy on "My Name is Earl".

And Phil on TAR
I'm not sold on Randy being that essential. In fact, my instinct is that Joy is the more important character to the show because she provides Earl with a foil.
Old 05-19-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
The 3 actresses who play the wives on Big Love. Without them the show is just about some Hick Fued between Roman and Bill.

But seriously, I think the wives are truely the backbone of the show. Bill is still important but when all is said and done, he's just a "Rooster in the Hen house".
Old 05-19-06, 10:46 AM

I was going to say Barb from Big Love but I know how people on this board seem to hate that show. I can't figure out why... I think it's great.
Old 05-19-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I was wondering, in your opinion, which actors are most important to their shows, so much that the ratings for said show will fall. Now, I'm not talking about title characters (a la Hugh Laurie on "House") or the star of a show (Tom Welling on "Smallville") since they are their shows and the day they leave will more than likely be a series finale. MY thoughts are more on ensemble shows that studios think they can get away with just moving on to another character...

Here are mine:

William L. Petersen, "CSI" - Rumors have been flying that he could depart at any time... But, they give him more power (executive producer) and money.

Keifer Sutherland, "24" - They might get away with losing Sutherland, but only if they get his replacement in for an entire season to gain some support from viewers.

Vincent D'Onofrio, "Law & Order: CI" - With the show moving to Fridays, it might be over anyways, depending on what kind of drop off it gets.

Mark Harmon, "NCIS" - Don't know if the season 3 finale was his final episode, but I think the show will suffer unless they find a suitable replacement.

Simon Cowell, "American Idol" - As much as people might be annoyed about the guy, they still love to watch him tear into the singers.
Simon Cowell is not really an actor so this one shouldnt count.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.