Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

GE is going subliminal on us!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
GE is going subliminal on us!

So I was watching TV the other day and I saw a commercial for GE. The one with the elephant in the jungle dancing to "Singing in the Rain".

I noticed a quick flash of something so I used my DVR to rewind and watch agian frame by frame. What I saw was called one second theater. It was info cards about all the jungle animals.

here's what I saw: www.onesecondtheater.com

I know they weren't trying to sell us anything with this hidden message, but I thought subliminal messages in ads was illegal.
Old 05-16-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if you saw it, it wasn't really subliminal, was it?

As far as I know, there was never a law passed banning subliminal advertising, but the FCC said they'd revoke the broadcast license of any station that broadcast such ads. That was over thirty years ago, though.
Old 05-17-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I noticed a quick flash of something so I used my DVR to rewind and watch agian frame by frame.
So it achieved what it was designed to do. Making people with DVRs, instead of skipping over commercials, to scrutinize them looking for easter eggs, and therefore, pay attention to commercials again. On a radio news program (on a "commercial-free" NPR station, no less), I heard about a KFC commercial that had a one-frame offer for a free chicken sandwich. Expect to see more and more of this.

It's a clever ploy. Not only did it work on you, making you rewatch the commercial frame by frame, but you also spread the message by word of mouth and included a link to the company's website. But don't feel to taken about this, NPR gave KFC free advertising, prompting listeners with their own DVR to check out the commercial.

I don't think there's anything illegal about using subliminals in advertisments, but there may be an issue with subliminal advertising placed within another medium. Like a one or two frame insert of "Drink Moxie!" placed within the movie you're watching.
Old 05-17-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
I feel so...used!
Old 05-17-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, there was one network (ABC?) that refused to air the KFC commercial (with the single frame "Buffalo" coupon code) because they felt it constituted subliminal advertising.

They're just trying to find a way to get people with DVRs to actually watch commercials again. I'm not sure that this is really the best approach.

I think we're ultimately going to go back to the concepts of the 1950's where shows are sponsored. Coca-Cola Presents American Idol and such. That, coupled with product placements within shows, is really the only option.