Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Unit: Season Finale, 05/16/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Unit: Season Finale, 05/16/06

Old 05-17-06, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greydt
There was one line in the show where they said the French commander and Drago must have had a "nice long talk", and I think they made mention (or implied) that the French commander was actually held by Drago for a small period of time.

Perhaps the French commander had enough information about the team to place their location, which he later spilled?
Well that makes sense. But doesn't The Unit go by ficticious names? Didn't I hear Mr. White, etc. during the bomb episode?

Chris
Old 05-17-06, 04:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Well that makes sense. But doesn't The Unit go by ficticious names? Didn't I hear Mr. White, etc. during the bomb episode?

Yup, but I think that was mainly in the bomb episode. I remember Blaine introducing Brown to the French Commander as "Brown".

However, I do share your "how could Drago find the team so easily?" Drago was said to have ties to the local government, but it never came across that he was that wily or powerful beyond local concerns.

Another possible connection: Drago was last said to be in France (when Blaine was asking the Colonel to be involved in the op, while at the wedding banquet), and during the conversation between Blaine and the French commander, Blaine mentioned where he had learned French. A very loose connection, but perhaps a lead Drago used? (I'm still going with the French commander knew enough info and spilled it, since Drago doesn't come off as being some super detective)
Old 05-17-06, 05:26 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060517/...m/ratings_dc_2

The Unit" ended its first season with a two-hour, 9-11 p.m. finale that drew 13.5 million and 4.2/10 in the demo.

18.50 18.06 15.50 16.08 15.44 14.12 15.62 13.87 14.06 14.18

As you can see from above, The Unit's viewers in millions have fallen dramatically since it's premiere. A loss of at least 4 million viewers (22% ??) would mean cancellation for most programs.

Hopefully CBS and the creators have gotten the message from the viewers, we want to see The Unit and not the wives.

Chris
Old 05-17-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One question. Was the party or reception or whatever it was at some banquet hall at a golf course or something or was it somewhere on base? From what I've seen the team and the families spend almost their entire lives on the base, so that leads me to believe that the party was was at a reception/banquet hall on base. I find it very hard to believe that Drago's guys could have snuck into a military base undetected.
Old 05-17-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Unit" ended its first season with a two-hour, 9-11 p.m. finale that drew 13.5 million and 4.2/10 in the demo.

As you can see from above, The Unit's viewers in millions have fallen dramatically since it's premiere. A loss of at least 4 million viewers (22% ??) would mean cancellation for most programs.

Hopefully CBS and the creators have gotten the message from the viewers, we want to see The Unit and not the wives.

Chris
Isn't it still one of the highest rated new shows on television right now? Also, unless I'm wrong it ranks in the top 10 every week and out performs 24 every week as well.
Old 05-17-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
The Atlanta bomb episode was great. Unfortunately, it only took one wife to bring it to a screeching halt.
"You lied to me. I'm leaving"

Fine, leave, and don't come back. Traitor! Other than that scene where she wants to leave, this was a great episode. The tension around the bomb was incredible.

I was kind of surprised they called the French "frog/s" all the time.
Old 05-17-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
The Atlanta bomb episode was great. Unfortunately, it only took one wife to bring it to a screeching halt.
"You lied to me. I'm leaving"

Fine, leave, and don't come back. Traitor! Other than that scene where she wants to leave, this was a great episode. The tension around the bomb was incredible.

I was kind of surprised they called the French "frog/s" all the time.

Yeah, there wasn't too much love for the French in that episode.
Old 05-17-06, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Isn't it still one of the highest rated new shows on television right now? Also, unless I'm wrong it ranks in the top 10 every week and out performs 24 every week as well.
I believe it finishes in the Top 15 every week and CBS is still seen in more households than Fox.

Chris
Old 05-17-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe it finishes in the Top 15 every week and CBS is still seen in more households than Fox.

Chris
Yeah I know. You told me about FOX not being in 100% of the households. I just used 24 as an example because they're similar in style and for the most part 24 is a very popular show yet The Unit still finishes higher each week. Still, I can only assume that CBS would be happy with a show that finishes in the top 15 every week. Maybe they were looking for a top 5 show though, but still as long as The Unit stays pretty high in the rankings regardless of the number of viewers I can't imagine them pulling the show.
Old 05-18-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not most programs that are still drawing 13 million people a show unless the lead in was say American Idol.
Old 05-18-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The part that disgusts me is that I know Amy Acker was supposed to be one of the wives. I don't care if she was twice as annoying as the women they kept -- I would have at least had something to look at during those scenes.
Old 05-18-06, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Not most programs that are still drawing 13 million people a show unless the lead in was say American Idol.
I guess I'm still living in the 70's & 80's, where the upper 20 millions was the norm.

Chris
Old 05-18-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I'm still living in the 70's & 80's, where the upper 20 millions was the norm.

Chris
Right. On the Duel dvd Spielberg gave an interview about television ratings because Duel was a made for tv movie. He was saying that 30 years ago a show with CSI's or American Idol's ratings would have been cancelled after about 2 weeks. A 20 share was nothing. A show was not a success unless it had a 40 share or more and a monster hit (he mentioned Roots) was like 60. Obviously that was before cable, computers, video games and all that stuff so times have simply changed. However, I think for the most part, networks don't necessarily just look at the actual number of viewers every week. They're just happy if they have a highly rated show. There's not much they can do if a highly rated show has gone from a 40 to a 20 in the last thirty years. It is what it is.
Old 05-18-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Chris
They just need to get it into a better time slot where it's not going up against a show like House which has a huge viewer base. Thankfully I have a dual tuner DVR so I get to see both each week, but most people don't.

Even at those numbers it still is one of the highest rated new shows of this season.