Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Final 3 -- 05/16/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home on Wednesday night?
Katherine McPhee
30.17%
Elliott Yamin
62.93%
Taylor Hicks
6.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Final 3 -- 05/16/06

Old 05-17-06, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DialIdol.com picks it correctly again. Although the actual percentages were a lot closer overall.
Old 05-17-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Katherine should win. It's not about talent. It's about selling records. Catherine is the hottest american idol and she will sell albums. Taylor is already famous and doesn't need to win.

If the show was about talent, then where the hell is Ruben and Fantasia? They are nowhere to be seen. The most marketable idols are Kelly, Clay, Bo, Carrie, and finally Katherine.

Who would want to buy a CD with Elliot on the cover? A few people but not enough. Katherine will sell albums on looks alone....
Old 05-17-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't buy those percentages
Old 05-17-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Katherine should win. It's not about talent. It's about selling records. Catherine is the hottest american idol and she will sell albums. Taylor is already famous and doesn't need to win.

If the show was about talent, then where the hell is Ruben and Fantasia? They are nowhere to be seen. The most marketable idols are Kelly, Clay, Bo, Carrie, and finally Katherine.

Who would want to buy a CD with Elliot on the cover? A few people but not enough. Katherine will sell albums on looks alone....
I really don't think it matters who wins.

Look at it this way... they're paying Simon something like thirty million dollars. He's one of three judges. The show itself is the cash cow. It doesn't matter if the winner sells ten CDs or ten million, they're raking in cash right and left just from people watching the show. Anything the CDs sell is just gravy.

They don't have to market the winner as a "real" singer, just as the winner of the show. And they can safely run on the assumption that whoever gets the most votes in the end will sell the most CDs. They're only selling CDs to the people who watch the show -- and probably most who watch the show will never buy a CD from a winner anyway -- so they probably aren't too concerned with a crossover market.
Old 05-17-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How sad is that?
Old 05-17-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was funny how Taylor & Elliott both went home to heroes' welcomes in their hometowns, with parades and huge crowds, meanwhile Kat went home to Hollywood and you couldn't find a soul who gave a shit.

Ryan: "Mrs. Yamin, tell Elliott that you love him!"
Mrs. Yamin: "My preciousssss."

IF Kat wins, and I hope she doesn't, she will be the lowest selling Idol.
Old 05-17-06, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by scoot95
I HATED HATED HATED HATED Elliot last night...then again, I have all year. I love "Open Arms" but his version was awful. Never even heard the final two songs he sang before. He absolutely bored me to tears.

Taylor and Katherine were very good in my opinion with Kat giving the performance of the night with "Somewhere over the Rainbow".

Now, if Chris were there instead of Elliot, last night would have been a night for the ages. Instead it was aiight...
I, on the other hand, thought Elliott's version of What You Won't Do For Love (which, by the way, is from the 70's) was the second best performance of the night after Katherine.

As far as Chris goes, I couldn't disagree more. He was a one-style singer with a one-sneer look. At the beginning, I thought he could win the thing but, as the season wore on, I realized he was just another poser like Constantine.
Old 05-17-06, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Quasimodo
I agree that Taylor is not only the front-runner, but he has been the most dominant front-runner in AI history. Never voted into the bottom 3, and usually a clear #1 vote at dialidol.
There wasn't a dialidol around for all the seasons so I can't address that but, as far as never in the bottom 3, both Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood also have that distinction.
Old 05-17-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
IF Kat wins, and I hope she doesn't, she will be the lowest selling Idol.
I doubt that. When she's good, she's great, and an album would be done in a studio where she could get several takes if she messes up. I can't see her being good in concert, but she has a strong voice and the looks to branch into movies (even if she can't act--now that's sad, but true).
Old 05-17-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brak55
As far as Chris goes, I couldn't disagree more. He was a one-style singer with a one-sneer look. At the beginning, I thought he could win the thing but, as the season wore on, I realized he was just another poser like Constantine.

i dont see it.. comparison makes no sense

constantine was a artsy fartsy type, posing as a rocker

there is no doubt that chris is a rocker.. and thats where his fan base is
chris is better compared to bo, not constantine... you can compare ace to constantine if you want
Old 05-17-06, 10:36 PM

I'm not saying that Chris and Constantine have the same style. I'm saying that they both were, in there own ways, one-style singers who had their own pose (Chris as "I'm Going to Kill You" and Constantine as "Look girls, I can pout and you know I'm hot"). Neither showed any great range musically or in performance outside their narrow standard.
Old 05-17-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Perhaps the same group of people who bought albums from these lookers:

And these guys are just the tip of the iceberg.

If the music is good and marketed well, it will sell. Irregardless of what the singer looks like. MTV used to matter, but the music video died as a selling tool years ago.
Old 05-17-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FINALLY! The nasal-ly, 8 note wonder is gone!

This is the final I picked way back. Couldn't be happier. (Well, Elliot last week and Chris this week, but...)

Gonna be a GREAT final with the two best contestants.

May the best singer win!
Old 05-17-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing as long as Taylor does ok, he's going to win this thing without much trouble? Personally, I'm not a fan of Katherine at all. While she can have some great moments (though I don't like the style she sings), she has way too many really bad moments. Taylor is consistent - maybe he doesn't really "wow" anybody, but I think he's got a likeable voice.
Old 05-17-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 122 Posts
Is Katherine's true personality (or lack thereof) starting to sneak out? I don't know, some of her comments tonight where she was trying to come across as cute fell flat for me. Like when she talked about the long drive home and how often she talks to her parents. Maybe fake is a better word. Something about this chic I just don't like. Sure, she's pretty. But is she a Heather?
Old 05-17-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kat is cute as hell
Old 05-17-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually thinking that Katherine will win it all now and here's why...

Sure, Taylor has "won" each of the voting periods but they are close, especially this last time, with around 150,000 or 200,000 votes separating Taylor from Elliot. There were about 16.5 million votes for Elliot this past week (and a similar number for both Katherine and Taylor). I think that of the people who voted for Elliot, more will like Katherine than Taylor. A lot more? Probably not, but a split of 52/48 or maybe even 51/49 to Katherine would give her the competition.

It should have been Chris Daughtery up there... Oh well.

And for those who said Elliot was boring on stage... you should have seen him early in the competition. Standing still during the entire songs. It's been interesting watching him learn to move on stage each week. And if you remember those jerk twins, the ones who were kicked out of the competition for theft, during the group competition it was Elliot who so pissed off one of them. The twin wanted to rehearse all night, Elliot said "no" and went straight to bed. The next morning the twin was wanting to rehearse some more, Elliot was eating breakfast and flirting with the girls. It was great. And of course Elliot did great. The other member of that group who made the final twenty... Jose "Sway" Panela. I hope that Elliot does something with his fame instead of disappearing like so many American Idol contestants do.

Last edited by Heat; 05-17-06 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Let me get this out of the way now and say, "Congratulations Taylor on winning American Idol." With Elliot now making his way back to Middle Earth this is a lead pipe cinch.
Old 05-17-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
We all know this show is fixed. It comes down to who will sell more records, not who the fans want to win.

Thats why McPhee is a lock.
Old 05-17-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

twikoff

I love how the crowd gasped when they revealed the third number ... like there was suspense on what it would be.

das
Old 05-18-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I love how the crowd gasped when they revealed the third number ... like there was suspense on what it would be.

das

I know. I laughed out loud. Or how about the delay before reading that third number. "Damn you American Idol! Tell us, tell us. Oh.....what could it be!???"
Old 05-18-06, 12:11 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hope Tyler wins it all, at least he's a bit different
Old 05-18-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
Hope Tyler wins it all, at least he's a bit different

did you mean to post that in the Amazing Race thread??
Old 05-18-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since Taylor does not need to win, I think I will not vote next week.
Old 05-18-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Of course Taylor needs to win. So does Kat. Except for the strange case of Clay Aiken, the winners always do better than those who.. don't win.

I am happy with Kat and my Taylor in the finale. Taylor is my favorite, but I intend on supporting both of them. However, I almost died when I saw how close it was. Have they ever done that before? I don't remember ever seeing the percentages, and I am ok with that because that scared me to death. Honestly, anyone could've won this year. The smallest little thing was probably enough to put someone out of the show.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-18-06 at 01:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.