Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Joey Season One Question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joey Season One Question

Old 05-15-06, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joey Season One Question

I just received "Joey: Season One" to review and upon checking it out, I found that the episodes are presented at 1.33:1. I seem to remember these shows being broadcast on NBCHD in widescreen. Does anyone else remember this as well? (And in case you're wondering, there are no extras on the set, unless they're cleverly concealed in a sub-menu that I didn't see.)
Old 05-16-06, 02:52 AM

All the Joey episodes I've viewed since I upgraded to HD cable in August 2005 were in 1.78:1 widescreen.

However, I can't really remember if I saw any of the first season eps after I upgraded.

(Like many, we stopped viewing Joey around November 2005; but I remember that those HD eps that I did view looked gorgeous.)

It's really difficult to believe that any high profile series on a major network that premiered in 2004 would have started out in 1.33:1 SD!

Last edited by Joseph B; 05-16-06 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-17-06, 09:36 AM

As I work through the DVDs, I have an even stronger feeling that Season One was broadcast in HD. Anyone else have any recollections?
Old 05-17-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike Long
As I work through the DVDs, I have an even stronger feeling that Season One was broadcast in HD. Anyone else have any recollections?
I would say yes that it was. You'd think that is something imdb, tv.com or tvrage.com would keep track of in "technical specs".

Anyway, it is cancelled without yet airing the last 8 episodes.
Old 05-17-06, 11:20 AM

I am 99.9% sure that all eps were in widescreen.
Still gotta wonder why they didn't at least give this show
its last episodes.
It wasn't great, but it wasn't THAT terrible.
Much worse it out there.
Old 05-17-06, 11:31 AM
dv8

First season was in HD Wide Screen... I remember when the show started I just got my HD set and watched a few shows then fell off of it.. But yeah 100% sure
Old 05-17-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was definitely in 16:9. If it makes you feel better, they didn't really use any of that extra space.
Old 05-17-06, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-17-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If a show is aired in widescreen for HD, but 1.33:1 for normal broadcast, which one is OAR?
Old 05-17-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doughboy
It was definitely in 16:9. If it makes you feel better, they didn't really use any of that extra space.
I'm not so sure any widescreen show makes good use of that extra space. It's there to fill the screen, that's about it.

Earl "easter eggs" being one of the exceptions.
Old 05-17-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Morf
If a show is aired in widescreen for HD, but 1.33:1 for normal broadcast, which one is OAR?
Dunno - probably 1.33 for most except maybe My Name is Earl which has been slipping little bonus "gags" in the HD broadcast space that can't be seen on standard TVs.
Old 05-19-06, 08:03 AM

I'm not so sure any widescreen show makes good use of that extra space. It's there to fill the screen, that's about it.
I recently purchased the DVD set of "Everybody Loves Raymond" Season Five. That was the first season that they did in HD. The first episode of that season was filmed in Italy, and I can assure you that they used every inch of the 1.78:1 Widescreen frame for that ep. However, once they got back home I noticed that the Widescreen area was not utilized as effectively. It's too bad, really; but I guess the networks just don't have time to "P&S" 1.78:1 transfers to 1.33:1 on a weekly basis and/or don't really want to provide every show in LBX form on their SD broadcasts. (All this will change by 2009, of course!)

But there's still *no excuse* for putting Joey Season One on DVD in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. (Or do they expect to release it again to HD-DVD/Blu-ray in a couple of years?!)