DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Good News for 'veronica mars' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/465567-good-news-veronica-mars.html)

critterdvd 05-15-06 08:27 PM

Good News for 'veronica mars'

http://community.tvguide.com/forum.j...umID=700000049

scroll down a little bit and their is a blurb that states that 'Veronica Mars' has been given a 13 episode order for next year...

its better than a 0 episode order, but I also have a prediction... it seems that every show 'the cw' has leaked about coming out next season only has a 13 episode order so maybe they are ordering a bunch of stuff at 13 episodes and see what works/doesnt...

clckworang 05-15-06 08:38 PM

Well, 13 is something. Despite its ratings, I would be surprised if it didn't end up getting a full season order. But if it doesn't get a full order, I'll be very happy to at least get 13 episodes, and I hope they would be able to give the show a fitting farewell.

onebyone 05-15-06 08:39 PM

I'll take it, although, with the way The CW has been acting, maybe I won't believe it until I sit down and the new episode comes on.

critterdvd 05-15-06 11:52 PM

I'll take it, although, with the way The CW has been acting, maybe I won't believe it until I sit down and the new episode comes on.
I've been thinking the same thing... I was so excited about the cw, but then when they announced '7th heaven' returning everything started to go downhill...

riley_dude 05-16-06 12:41 AM

Smart move on VM. Dumb move on 7th Heaven.

Jimmy James 05-16-06 01:41 AM

Do the shows on other networks get full 22 episode orders? It seems like 13 has been the standard from what I recollect.

Sir_Fireboard 05-16-06 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone

Same here. Actually, I won't believe it until all 13 have aired, or the back-nine have been picked up and aired. I'm getting Tru Calling flashbacks here. Hopefully The CW won't want to start their life looking like such fuckups and will just show all 13 even if they don't rate wonderfully.

Or, you know, S3 ratings shoot through the roof and they renew it for a fourth season within the airing of the first five episodes. ;)

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It seems like 13 has been the standard from what I recollect.

Yeah, it is. People are just focusing on the 13 being picked up because VM's ratings have sucked major ass and at least it's something.

LorenzoL 05-16-06 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sir_Fireboard
Same here. Actually, I won't believe it until all 13 have aired, or the back-nine have been picked up and aired. I'm getting Tru Calling flashbacks here. Hopefully The CW won't want to start their life looking like such fuckups and will just show all 13 even if they don't rate wonderfully.

I have to agree with the above statement.
I'm happy that this show was at least renewed but I guess we'll see whether CW will actually air all 13 episodes and pick up the remaining 9 episodes during the season.

Daniel-A 05-16-06 01:59 AM

I don't think there was any serious doubt for the show not returning. Glad it is finally official though.

MrX 05-16-06 02:00 AM

Most new shows only get an order for 13 episodes, but almost all established shows get the full 22 ordered.

wmansir 05-16-06 02:03 AM

I wonder if this will affect Rob Thomas's plan to have 3 seasonal mysteries. From what I read he was planing on two 7 and an 8 episode story arcs. Maybe he will do a 13-9 instead.

Sir_Fireboard 05-16-06 02:16 AM

I heard that he was thinking 7-6-9. Fits with the first-13 back-9 thing.

Jimmy James 05-16-06 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Most new shows only get an order for 13 episodes, but almost all established shows get the full 22 ordered.

Even when they change networks?

Daniel-A 05-16-06 02:20 AM

Even if there are miniarcs there would still be one big mystery for the whole season right? I'm not sure that I would be as interested in just smaller arcs. There are enough tv shows that are episodic.

Count Dooku 05-16-06 02:30 AM

I think the thrust of the idea with the mini-arcs was that the network was agreeing to air each arc uninterrupted.
There would still be a season-arc, but the uninterrupted mini-arcs would make the show easier to follow, and maybe help it gain some momentum with viewers.

Recall that on the first season of 24, they prepared to show to have a kind of conclusion with the 13th episode, just in case they never got to make the next 11.

Jimmy James 05-16-06 02:31 AM

I think we're probably looking at 4 mysteries: a somewhat subtle season long one that will be related to but perhaps distinct from the final mini-arc as well as two other mini-arcs.

Sir_Fireboard 05-16-06 02:35 AM

Actually I think there isn't going to be any "main" overarching mystery. Which makes me not like the idea, but hey, if it keeps VM on the air, then so be it.

clckworang 05-16-06 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by MrX

Yep, this is generally true, execept of course if a show has been struggling or on the bubble. So, that's not a great sign for the show.

But someone said that it was switching a network, which technically isn't true because they're just merging the two networks. The more I think about though the more optimistic I get because CW will be seen in a lot more households than UPN. I know I live in an area where we didn't have any way to watch UPN shows until this season. And even then we don't actually have a UPN network. After Fox programming ends at 9 p.m. (I'm central time), the UPN programming would kick in. I must say that the two hour later start time for VM was certainly convenient for a crowded recording schedule. But anyway, WB has always had more networks so by pooling the resources maybe VM will be able to pull in some higher ratings. -pray-

Sorry for the long rant, I just got home from work a couple of hours ago and am not completely sober. :)

MrX 05-16-06 02:36 AM

Even when they change networks?

Buffy had a 44 episode order when it moved to UPN.

I don't know if there's ever been a case with 2 networks merging like this before. I'm sure Gilmore Girls has a 22 episode order for next season.

critterdvd 05-16-06 02:45 AM

I'm sure Gilmore Girls has a 22 episode order for next season.
at this point they could renew Gilmore girls for 2 episodes, 12 episodes, 66 episodes, or cancel it and I wouldn't be surprised... I can no longer even attempt a guess at the CW's master plan.

Count Dooku 05-16-06 02:56 AM

FROM TV GUIDE
Question: Can you give us some other clues about what to look forward to next season?

Thomas: The biggest news is that we will be going to a three-mystery-per-season format next year. This way, the mysteries will play uninterrupted by repeats or preemptions. We're hoping this will help us cast guest stars in smaller arcs, allow newbies to jump in easier, and lessen the too-much-going-on complaint we heard in Season 2.

That does make it sound like they are giving up the season-long mystery, despite what I previously posted.

Jimmy James 05-16-06 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That does make it sound like they are giving up the season-long mystery, despite what I previously posted.

It does, but I have to say I don't buy it. I have to imagine that they're going to find a way to pay off the committed viewer with that last arc. It seems to me that this 3 mysteries that are self contained thing is (hopefully) just a pitch to keep the show going. I fully expect to see three arcs, but I'll be awfully disappointed if they don't regularly drop subtle hints about the outcome of something through all of the arcs. For instance, maybe the last arc is the rapist storyline. The thing they hint at all season might be something to do with the frat we have already dealt with.

That's what I'm hoping for.

dolphinboy 05-16-06 03:23 AM

I'm glad that Thomas was listening, because there sure was WAY too much going on this season and the show was over-crowded with characters. I'm still not sure if I know everything that happened.

I hope that they listen to the fact that we love Mac too and find a way to get in her to go to the same college as Veronica.

They can be freshman roomies like Buffy and that girl who was a demon. Topless pillow fights after a good, hot shower is something I can always follow.

Count Dooku 05-16-06 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I'm glad that Thomas was listening, because there sure was WAY too much going on this season and the show was over-crowded with characters. I'm still not sure if I know everything that happened.

I wonder if the second season was intentionally more complicated to encourage purchase of the dvds for a second viewing.

Count Dooku 05-16-06 04:53 AM

It does, but I have to say I don't buy it. I have to imagine that they're going to find a way to pay off the committed viewer with that last arc. It seems to me that this 3 mysteries that are self contained thing is (hopefully) just a pitch to keep the show going.

That's what I'm hoping for.

That's what I'm hoping for, as well.

That, and a musical episode a la "Once More With Feeling"