Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother *Season Finale* - "Come On" - 5/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Yup, this episode was definitely more about the storyline than the funny. Hence, the small amount of time Barney was given.

I don't think I've ever had a sitcom series draw me in with its storyline the way this one has. I've never been a big sitcom fan.
Old 05-16-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I completely disagree.
So do I. Amy looked ok this episode.

Happy for Ted but damn sad for Marshall.
I'm already missing this show.
Old 05-16-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My friends, if I went to all that trouble for a romantic surprise and the girl hemmed and hawed and told me that she was going camping with that anchor douchebag, I would tell her to go fuck herself.
Old 05-16-06, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, fuck. Why didn't I read this early to see that shows would be delayed?
Old 05-16-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have we ever established, though, that Ted is talking to HIS children. Maybe he's been talking to his nieces and nephews all along, which would explain the "Aunt Robin" business.
Old 05-16-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
A few good Barney lines but Ted is still a douche.
Has there ever been a show where the main character is the biggest tool of the show? Usually they just have an annoying friend, but Ted sucks.
Old 05-16-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Maybe Ms. Perfect meets him in a bar after he gets dumped by Robin. Maybe they avoided showing her face and can fill her in later with any actress. Maybe a bit farfetched though.
Old 05-16-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Have we ever established, though, that Ted is talking to HIS children. Maybe he's been talking to his nieces and nephews all along, which would explain the "Aunt Robin" business.
Nope; the show's called 'How I Met YOUR Mother" not "How I Met My Wife."

For all we know, they're Marshall's kids or Barney's kids or someone-we-haven't-even-met's kids.

Or, hey, maybe they ARE his kids, but Aunt Robin IS their mother.

Either way, he's sure taking a long time to get to the point. I guess in the future ritalin has become as poplar as caffeine.
Old 05-16-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'd also think the kids would know their own mother's name.

Last edited by tenaciousdave; 05-16-06 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was a few weeks ago from Eonline. I'll spoiler:
Spoiler:

From nelliona: On How I Met Your Mother, Robin could still be the mother, right?

Big scoop! Despite all of our fantastic theories in the past few months that Robin might not really be her name, the kids are not Ted's, etc. Here's what Carter tells me: "It's fun reading online all the stuff where people have theories about egg donors, and maybe it's another girl named Robin and all this stuff, but we can say with 100 percent certainty that it's not Robin. But we do want people to stay invested in Ted and Robin, because it's a very important [relationship]. You know, she's not girl that he marries, necessarily, but you know, it is a love story."

Old 05-17-06, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Yeah, but he's referred to Lilly this season (in the narration) as "Aunt Lilly". I think Marshall and Lilly will reunite at some point next season. (Of if hope beyond hope occurs, Amy Acker's character will reappear as a love interest for either Marshall or Ted.)

I know he's done the same with calling Robin "Aunt Robin", so it could be a red herring by the writers. I have a feeling that the audience will find out near the end of the series that the narrator is telling his children all of these stories because of the recent death of their mother.
It wasn't until recently that I thought of the exact same thing. Maybe the wife is dead and in the future he is with Robin and is telling his kids all of this stuff to ease her in.
Old 05-17-06, 10:13 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I think it was a mistake to call her "Aunt Robin," so early, since it seems almost certain that Ted and her don't end up together in the end. I would've liked some uncertainty. Still, it's not as bad as telling the audience in the first episode of "Jack and Bobby" that Bobby is going to be president.
Old 05-17-06, 04:56 PM
Mok

So are they going to drag the identity of there mother out till the very last episode of the series ?
Old 05-18-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
So are they going to drag the identity of there mother out till the very last episode of the series ?
They should.

Ted (and the audience) shouldn't meet the titular "Your Mother" until the last scene of the last episode of the series, and he should meet her in some completely random way --like Ted gets on an elevator, and there's already a woman on the elevator, they smile at each other, he introduces himself ("Hi, I'm Ted"), she introduces herself ("I'm ______"), the elevator doors close, and Future-Ted narrates: "And that's how I met your mother."
Old 05-18-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Morf
Ah, fuck. Why didn't I read this early to see that shows would be delayed?
Me, too. I went to watch it last night and was faced with The King of Queens.
Old 05-18-06, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RichardW
Me, too. I went to watch it last night and was faced with The King of Queens.
I have been lucking out with things like this - when Lost ran over last week, I was already DVR'ing Invasion, so the last few of Lost was the beginning of Invasion. With HIMYM, and KOQ, I pretty much got everything because I record 2 1/2 men as well.

Lucky I guess.
Old 05-18-06, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
I have been lucking out with things like this - when Lost ran over last week, I was already DVR'ing Invasion, so the last few of Lost was the beginning of Invasion. With HIMYM, and KOQ, I pretty much got everything because I record 2 1/2 men as well.

Lucky I guess.
The difference is that Lost run-overs are known and provided ahead of time in guide data. This time, the presidential speech didn't allow for such a thing.
Old 05-18-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
They should.

Ted (and the audience) shouldn't meet the titular "Your Mother" until the last scene of the last episode of the series, and he should meet her in some completely random way --like Ted gets on an elevator, and there's already a woman on the elevator, they smile at each other, he introduces himself ("Hi, I'm Ted"), she introduces herself ("I'm ______"), the elevator doors close, and Future-Ted narrates: "And that's how I met your mother."
That's exactly how I've thought it should end.
Old 05-18-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you have to embellish of the random encounter because of the title of the show suggests an epic story behind the meeting of Ted and the mother of his children (plus, do we even know if Ted is married to their mom in the future, or if Robin was infertile, and the mom is the one that bore the kids from Ted's swimmers, but he's still married to Robin, and that the mom is still single but wanted kids and Ted was the donor).
Old 05-18-06, 10:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Ted's kids must be bored out of their minds.
Old 05-18-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I think you have to embellish of the random encounter because of the title of the show suggests an epic story behind the meeting of Ted and the mother of his children
That's why it would be funny if it turned out that all of FutureTed's storytelling had nothing to do with How He Met Their Mother, but was just a lot of long-winded rambling and tangents from a nostalgic guy who likes to talk about himself and his old friends.
Old 05-18-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
Lucky I guess.
Yeah, you're lucky, Doug Heffernan.
You're show's been downgraded to a mid-season replacement, and your wife is fat.
Old 05-18-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Ted's kids must be bored out of their minds.
This reminds me that they haven't shown the kids in several episodes, and I just read that the girl who plays the daughter, Lyndsy Fonseca, actually got cast in "Waterfront" for next season. I wonder if this means the producers have abandoned showing the kids.

I always thought this was a lame intro to the show as they would eventually get older and make it look like Ted had dragged this out into infinity.
Old 05-18-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was that music composed for the episode at the end when he and Robin kiss or an instrumental part from an actual song? Anyone know?

Edit: Thanks to tv.com: Bloc Party's "This Modern Love"

Last edited by nightwing82; 05-18-06 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amy Acker. For a while, during the episode, I was thinking that she was going to be the mom of the kids.