DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TEXAS RANCH HOUSE on PBS. Anyone Watching? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/465233-texas-ranch-house-pbs-anyone-watching.html)

Giantrobo 05-12-06 04:13 PM

TEXAS RANCH HOUSE on PBS. Anyone Watching?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/

Yes, it's yet another friggin "Reality Show" but you actually learn about the Ranch lifestyle of the 1800's. :up: I just watched about 3 hours of it in one shot and it was pretty cool.

They take a family(the Ranch owners), A Foreman, A Cook, and some Cowboys(Fratboys) and they run a ranch with none of the "modcons" of today.

They even had horse's stolen just like the old days. Granted it's not the drinking and bangin' of The Real World, :lol: but it's still got some interesting tension.

Check it out if you get a chance.

monkyskunk 05-12-06 06:58 PM

I really like PBS' historical reality shows. So far I have watched the 1900's House, Frontier House, and Colonial House and enjoyed them all, athough I did miss out on Manor House. As for the latest installment, I liked what I saw of it as well, but given how they aired it over 4 consecitve nights (2 hours each night), I wasn't able to watch as much I would have wanted, since it conflicted with other shows that I watch. Hopefully they will reair it sometime in the future, so I can watch it from start to finish.

I did tune in for the last hour, and boy there sure was a lot conflict between the cowhands and the owner, who I thought was a prick at times, but dang he sure did have sweet looking "girl of all work": Maura Finkelstein:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/i...elstein_07.jpg http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/i...elstein_03.jpg

One last thought: the fly infestation, due to them not moving the manure far enough away from the ranch, was absolutely disgusting.

Giantrobo 05-13-06 01:04 PM

Yeah I saw 1900's House years ago but I missed the other two. I would like to see all of them. This show is great and yes she's a cute girl. But I don't know. I think they're letting too much "Women's Lib" get into the show. ;):lol: Like one guy said, "I need some more historical precedence for some of this". :lol:

kitkat 05-13-06 04:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I really like these too. I've seen all the ones monkyskunk mentioned, plus 1940's house (my favorite). I'll see if I can catch this one.

monkyskunk 05-13-06 08:01 PM

1940's House: How did I miss out on that one :scratch2:, sounds interesting though. My favorite of the ones I have seen so far has to be Frontier House.

Giantrobo 05-14-06 09:29 AM

The final show....OUCH! :lol:

One point I guess missed at the start and learned of at the end was they were apparently told to approach things by today's standards or some shit like that. Now some of the crap that went down makes more sense.

Graftenberg 05-14-06 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
1940's House: How did I miss out on that one :scratch2:, sounds interesting though. My favorite of the ones I have seen so far has to be Frontier House.

I loved Frontier House also, they have shown it more then once. I did see some of TRH last sunday afternoon and I'm sure they will show it many more times.

kitkat 05-14-06 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by monkyskunk

1940's House was shorter and only involved one (multigeneration) family. It was set in London during The Blitz. One of the first things they had to do was build a backyard bomb shelter, and there was a "War Council" made up of historians and whatnot who would periodically decide to ratchet up the bombing or the food deprivation via rationing. It was really neat to see the changes in attitude the family went through over the course of their experience.

It's few years old but I've seen it on PBS a couple times. Netflix has it.

Giantrobo 05-14-06 05:02 PM

On Texas Ranch House, once they got rid of the knucklehead Foreman and Cook...the only troublemakers were the women. :lol:

The women want modern "rights" but then the get mad when the men don't jump and help them with Cows. Both are being asses but still....

Giantrobo 05-14-06 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by kitkat
1940's House was shorter and only involved one (multigeneration) family. It was set in London during The Blitz. One of the first things they had to do was build a backyard bomb shelter, and there was a "War Council" made up of historians and whatnot who would periodically decide to ratchet up the bombing or the food deprivation via rationing. It was really neat to see the changes in attitude the family went through over the course of their experience.

It's few years old but I've seen it on PBS a couple times. Netflix has it.

Was 1900 House, which I believe was also based in London, the first in this "series"? I remember seeing it years ago but I don't remember all the shows after it.

kitkat 05-14-06 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Was 1900 House, which I believe was also based in London, the first in this "series"? I remember seeing it years ago but I don't remember all the shows after it.

Yes, I believe it was. Apparently there's also a little-known Iron Age one, but I don't think it's been shown on PBS. I've heard people say that it's been on BBC America, and I heard that the cast was really whiny.

Bose Pro 05-14-06 06:16 PM

My wife and I watched nearly every episode missing I believe 1 at the beginning. It was pretty good and informative. The Cooke family are a bucnh of buttheads though, especially the last two episodes. The 3 girls are lazy bums and spoiled. And the wife ran the ranch more that the man did! It was a great show though and I'd recommend it.

Giantrobo 05-14-06 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
My wife and I watched nearly every episode missing I believe 1 at the beginning. It was pretty good and informative. The Cooke family are a bucnh of buttheads though, especially the last two episodes. The 3 girls are lazy bums and spoiled. And the wife ran the ranch more that the man did! It was a great show though and I'd recommend it.

Yeah I've read comments on imdb and people seem to pretty much hate The Cookes with special emphasis on Mom and Dad.

Mr. Cooke's "We don't deal with Terrorists" line was utter Bullshit and just retarded.

Bose Pro 05-14-06 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I've read comments on imdb and people seem to pretty much hate The Cookes with special emphasis on Mom and Dad.

Mr. Cooke's "We don't deal with Terrorists" line was utter Bullshit and just retarded.

OMG!!! I forgot he said that! What a bunch of BS.

Kal Varnsen 05-22-06 11:26 PM

Anyone seen these PBS House series DVDs for a good price? They are expensive everywhere I see them for sale. The one discs are $35 MSRP and two discs sets are $50 MSRP.