Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadwood - dead? UPDATED: Deadwood lives!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060512/tv_nm/deadwood_dc_1

According to the article, HBO is not picking up the options on the actors contracts past the 3rd season, and series creator David Milch is working on a new show, "John From Cincinnati," a (gag) surfing-themed drama.

Is the show doing that bad? I've yet to watch it (season 1 is on my pile of DVD's to watch), but I've heard nothing but good things about the show.
Old 05-12-06, 08:43 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't know how it's doing ratings-wise, but it could be that Milch had only planned for 3 seasons of the show, creatively speaking?
Old 05-12-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I hope this isn't true

This is one of (if not) the best show on TV now.
Old 05-12-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... hopefully it was just meant to be 3 seasons and there wasn't more to do? But either way, sucks
Old 05-12-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I don't know how it's doing ratings-wise, but it could be that Milch had only planned for 3 seasons of the show, creatively speaking?
I'd think that if that were the case, they would have said it in the article. Instead, they said that HBO just decided not to continue the contracts.

Now maybe HBO thinks that they can get rid of the top names and bring in new faces for less money (which translates to more profit), but from everything I've heard about the show, that's a baaaad idea.
Old 05-12-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have no problem w/ a show being only three seasons long. Now let's see this cocksucker go out w/ a bang.
Old 05-12-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
If that's true, HBO is going to have some major holes come next year with no more Sopranos nor Deadwood.
Old 05-12-06, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
If that's true, HBO is going to have some major holes come next year with no more Sopranos nor Deadwood.
No shit. And Rome doesn't come back until what, next spring? At least Big Love is good.
Old 05-12-06, 09:32 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
No shit. And Rome doesn't come back until what, next spring? At least Big Love is good.
True, but even so, neither of those two are ratings powerhouses. HBO needs another big show...and soon.
Old 05-12-06, 09:33 AM

At least this may give the show a chance to have a decent ending unlike Carnivale. I hate how Carnivale ended, I wish it had some closure instead of more questions.
Old 05-12-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Personally I can't stand Big Love, but they do also have Entourage and (possibly?) Curb Your Enthusiasm. I would also hope that after losing Deadwood and The Sopranos they would have some money for new show development. Plus, isn't there a Pacific theater version of Band of Brothers coming? I could swear I heard something like that somewhere.
Old 05-12-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
When is the Wire coming back?
Old 05-12-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I remember an interview way back when Milch said that since Deadwood is based on a real town's history he felt that he didn't have enough material for a second season - so I'm surprised that there's even going to be a third season.

At least there'll be more Wire.
Old 05-12-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Noooooooo!!!

Deadwood is my favorite of HBO's programs, which is saying a lot since I love almost every one of them dearly.

I do hope at least it gets closure unlike the lopping Carnivale got.
Old 05-12-06, 11:21 AM

hopefully theres a good ending w/ closure
Old 05-12-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dammit! dammit! dammit!

Here's a posting by W Earl Brown on HBO's messageboard....

"Re: Season 3 May be the last season for Deadwood

Posted: May 12, 2006 10:58 AM (5 of 65) Report
Having not slept for much of last night, I sit staring bleary-eyed at my computer. That phone call last evening floored me. Never, in my wildest dreams, did I see it coming.

I feel cheated.

I am cheated as an person because the way I was brought up a man's word is his bond. We were given word in Dec. that we'd be back for a fourth season. A formal annoucement of that fourth season was trumpeted in the press in March. Lives were planned accordingly.

I am cheated as an artist because something that I poured my lifeblood into has been given short-shrift and not allowed to conclude properly.

I am cheated as a fan because the verbally fleet and intricately plotted show shall just cease to be. It will just stop. No wrap up. No farewells.

It isn't like DEADWOOD had a tiny audience. No, our ratings -- based on what I've read -- were good, better than all HBO shows but one. They were not SOPRANOS huge, but then again, SOPRANOS did not become the cultural phenomenon until it's third season.

This is not the fault of David Milch. Given his druthers, he would never just leave a show hanging like this. I feel nothing but gratitude toward his largess. As for the coporate bean-counters...

It has been a high-water mark of my career. I seriously doubt I will ever again be a part of something so unique, so daring, and so special. I hang my head in sorrow...

W. Earl Brown "
Old 05-12-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This really sucks. What is up with HBO lately? I thought they were smarter than the idiot fucks in network television. Looks like they are just as shortsighted and just as cutthroat as the rest of them. This is a real shame.
Old 05-12-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
...has been given short-shrift and not allowed to conclude properly.

I am cheated as a fan because the verbally fleet and intricately plotted show shall just cease to be. It will just stop. No wrap up. No farewells.
Now that just hurts.

Cocksuckers!
Old 05-12-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Wow! This is seriously depressing news. I just can't believe that Deadwood would be getting the can like this, especially with the holes that HBO will have to fill after The Sopranos gives its final farewell.
Old 05-12-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fucking Cocksuckers

I knew the show couldnt last that long since the real deadwood basically died when the railroad arrived and from Ive seen on the show, it seems to be coming. But I thought at least 5 seasons.

Now from the man himself he sees that they get NO send off or closure? Fucking HBO didnt learn from all the bashing they got over Carnivale now they do the same shit to Deadwood? People are going to give a mighty damn big uproar.

Piece of shit HBO, I hope they go broke and go off the air. I dont care for the soap opera Big Love, Curb may be gone and everything else sucks ass. Looks like all I can look forward to is ROME.

I bet that news Carnivale would get a movie or renewel was all bullshit too...
Old 05-12-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh well. Hoopleheads.

Hopefully there will be another high quality show soon. Big Love ain't it.
Old 05-12-06, 03:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And Arliss got 7 seasons...
Old 05-12-06, 03:36 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

I'm not as bummed as I thought I'd be. The show doesn't really have an underlying theme or Arc. It just listlessly goes from one ep to another. Still a good show, but I won't really miss it.
Old 05-12-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
At least there'll be more Wire.
One more season. I think it is the best show on television, but I was shocked when they announced season four. I can't see HBO letting it go past that.
Old 05-12-06, 04:44 PM
sdk

And the sad thing is that he was only planning four seasons anyway. That is like watching a 2 hour movie and not get to see the last half an hour.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.