DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC orders pilots "Heroes" and "Friday Night Lights" to Series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/464897-nbc-orders-pilots-heroes-friday-night-lights-series.html)

critterdvd 05-09-06 08:14 PM

NBC orders pilots "Heroes" and "Friday Night Lights" to Series

check out www.thefutoncritic.com for more information...

I'm skepitcal about the "friday night lights" series, but am really looking forward to the "Heroes" series...

DVD Josh 05-09-06 10:05 PM

Someone who has seen Heroes has said that it's a bona fide hit.

B.A. 05-10-06 03:00 AM

Is Connie Britton the only one reprising her role from the film?

Legolas 05-10-06 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Is Connie Britton the only one reprising her role from the film?

Why would she be back? They're not just making a fictional TV series using the common term "Friday Night Lights"? The movie was based on a true story.

digitalfreaknyc 05-15-06 02:11 PM

I saw Heroes recently. :up:

DVD Josh 05-15-06 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I saw Heroes recently. :up:

Please tell us more!

digitalfreaknyc 05-15-06 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Please tell us more!

What would you like to know?

I was in CA at Universal Studios and this girl came up to me and my friend and asked us if we wouldn't mind watching a tv pilot for a new show, answer some questions and get paid $25. ;)

The show was about 52 minutes I think and it was in widescreen. Afterwards, we had a touch-screen where we answered a shitload of questions.

"Heroes" is a horrible name for it, though. My friend came up with one that was much, much better and actually quoted from the script.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously there will be some editing since it was so long and I think that was my major gripe with it. It needed to be a bit shorter.

DVD Josh 05-15-06 04:01 PM

What would you like to know?

I was in CA at Universal Studios and this girl came up to me and my friend and asked us if we wouldn't mind watching a tv pilot for a new show, answer some questions and get paid $25. ;)

The show was about 52 minutes I think and it was in widescreen. Afterwards, we had a touch-screen where we answered a shitload of questions.

"Heroes" is a horrible name for it, though. My friend came up with one that was much, much better and actually quoted from the script.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously there will be some editing since it was so long and I think that was my major gripe with it. It needed to be a bit shorter.

I meant more about the show itself.

boogieman03 05-15-06 04:12 PM

Is Heroes the live action tv version of The Incredibles?

pinata242 05-15-06 04:13 PM

Sounds more like The X-Men.

"HEROES" -- The epic drama "Heroes" chronicles the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities. As a total eclipse casts it shadow across the globe, viewers follow a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy, "Blind Guy Driving") in India whose father's disappearance leads him to uncover a secret theory -- there are people with super powers living among us. A young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia, "The Bedford Diaries") tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar, "Judging Amy") that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere, "Ice Princess") learns that she is totally indestructible. A Las Vegas stripper (Ali Larter, "Final Destination"), struggling to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey, "My Wife & Kids"), uncovers that her mirror image has a secret. A prison inmate (Leonard Roberts, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") mysteriously finds himself waking up outside of his cell. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera, "Empire"), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and the relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress, "Third Watch"), can paint the future. A down-on-his-luck beat cop (Greg Grunberg, "Alias") can hear people's thoughts, including the secrets of a captured terrorist. In Japan, a young man (Masi Oka, "Scrubs") develops a way to stop time through sheer will power. Their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world. "Heroes" is executive produced by creator/writer Tim Kring ("Crossing Jordan), Dennis Hammer ("Crossing Jordan") and David Semel ("House"), who also directed the pilot. The drama is from NBC Universal Television Studio.

digitalfreaknyc 05-15-06 04:24 PM

It's very much like X-men but without the "superhero" aspect. It's just normal people with superhuman qualities. They realize that their stories are all inter-related.

I have to say that I loved the style of it. It's very grungy-New York...although it takes place all over the world.

The above pretty much sums it up. If you want to know anything else, let me know. I don't totally want to spoil the rest of it unless someone has specific questions.

GuessWho 05-15-06 04:32 PM

It's very much like X-men but without the "superhero" aspect. It's just normal people with superhuman qualities.
So, it's Misfits of Science... ;)

digitalfreaknyc 05-15-06 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho

And no one is a dork. ;)

JasonF 05-15-06 06:37 PM

Heroes sounds a bit like 4400, based on that description.

Good news about Friday Night Lights -- one of the actors is the son of the guy in the next office from me. Come to think of it, I tried a case against Ike "MadTV" Barinholz's father. I guess there's something about the Chicago legal community that makes people raise successful actors.

JacksModernLife 05-15-06 08:43 PM

i'm excited for heroes and the black donnellys.

also, 20 good years could be very funny; i like john lithgow, so i'll def check it out.

digitalfreaknyc 05-15-06 08:45 PM

How is everyone hearing about Heroes? I hadn't heard about it at all until I saw it.

Chew 05-16-06 06:03 AM

I read an article about it quite a while ago. Between being a sci-fi and comic book geek, it's been discussed on a lot of those news-sites.

DVD Josh 05-16-06 06:23 AM

How is everyone hearing about Heroes? I hadn't heard about it at all until I saw it.

There's been a few posts about it and some critics have seen the pilot.

digitalfreaknyc 05-16-06 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
There's been a few posts about it and some critics have seen the pilot.

It was definitely still rough. The intro used the music from Batman Begins. ;) That did a lot to put me in the right mood, though, to watch it.

I was reading over one woman's shoulder before it started that she was "offended" by the close-up crotch shot of the stripper. Really wasn't all that big of a deal when I saw it but I bet you it will be cut. The actor who plays her son is absolutely adorable and really good. He's extremely young but has an older kids voice.

It's cool because just as you're wondering what the hell each of them have to do with one another, everything goes crazy in the last 5 minutes. I have to say the Japanese guys are really only there for comic relief and I really didn't like the actress whose boyfriend is the painter. Other than that, very cool...especially the one girl who's invincible. She gets a cute guy friend to videotape her jumping off of a very high ledge. She lands with a thud...and then eventually gets right back up. She saves a man from a burning train wreck while on fire and it doesn't hurt her. Then goes home and sticks her hand in the garbage disposal, it bleeds, the dog licks up the blood and within a minute, her hand is back to normal.

superdeluxe 05-16-06 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Sounds more like The X-Men.

Actually it reminds me of a show called 'misfits of science'

if anyone remembers that far back heh.

superdeluxe 05-16-06 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho

YES!

Some of the shows back in the 80's

anyone remember Manamal? and Ottoman?

Chew 05-16-06 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
and Ottoman?

Is that the one about the super-intelligent footstool? I loved that one.

I think you mean Automan ;)

superdeluxe 05-16-06 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Is that the one about the super-intelligent footstool? I loved that one.

I think you mean Automan ;)

my name is otto..I just chipped it in heh.

Yes..Automan..I lvoed that show..

fujishig 05-16-06 01:22 PM

Isn't Milo like the kiss of death for every show he's in, though? He didn't manage to get Gilmore Girls cancelled (though most people absolutely hated his character) but the rumor was that they were setting him up for a Gilmore Girls spinoff that never happened. He came onto American Dreams and it got cancelled. He was on some new WB show (Bedford Diaries or something?) that got cancelled after a couple of weeks.

I'm glad that it seems like a hit, though... we need something to get rid of the horrid memory of Birds of Prey...

Jimmy James 05-16-06 03:04 PM

Milo not only was set up for a GG spinoff -- they actually shot the backdoor pilot and included it as a GG episode. They even ordered it before relenting due to "cost".