Reload this Page >

Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "The Empty Child" 05/05/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-05-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday Night, May 5th at 9pm on Sci Fi, it's the latest episode of the greatest sci fi TV series of all time...

The Year : 1941
The Place : London, England
The Problem : A mysterious cylinder is being guarded by the army, while homeless children, living on the bombsites, are being terrorised by an unearthly child.

Starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose
and introducing John Barrowman as Captain Jack
Old 05-05-06, 09:28 AM

Loved this episode. Great suspense and some eerie CGI special effects. Particularly as the Doctor, played by Richard Wilson i.e. not The Doctor, succumbs to the plague and we see a gas mask growing out of his mouth.

The CGI of Rose hanging from the balloon cable was somewhat poor, and as a WW2 buff I found the whole aerial fight sequences over London unrealistic. But great lines as Captain Jack saves Rose and asks her to turn off her mobile phone because it interferes with the beam, and she says "no one ever believes that"
Old 05-05-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you my Mummy?

Very cool episode and we get Captain Jack too!
So are we reviewing the episode or the effects?
Old 05-06-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent episode. Loved the verbal foreplay between Rose and Capt. Jack.
Old 05-06-06, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately one of the best episodes of the new series.
Old 05-06-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has been the best episode so far. So far this episode and the Charles Dickens one have been may favorites.
Old 05-06-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Enjoyed it much more than the last.

Creepy, funny and a bit of romance.
Old 05-07-06, 01:02 AM

I don't get this show.

The doctor has a machine that travels through TIME and SPACE.

Why have at least half of this season's episodes taken place in London?
Old 05-07-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I don't get this show.

BBC budget.
Old 05-07-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen all of the episodes, but I definitely caught last weeks (Father's Day) and this one.

Man did this one creep me out! I was thinking for a while that the Dr. in the hospital was whatever crashed in the ship. Didn't see that Captain guy doing it as a setup.

As somebody else already said really like the girl's guest spot and the Dr. is really good at his acting. Quipy and smart one minute and then deathly affraid of what is happening the next.
Old 05-08-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I don't get this show.

Certainly the question plenty of people have had. The entire first season takes place either on earth or in orbit. The second season does a good job of getting more away from that, but yeah: budget reasons.
Old 05-08-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it has much to do with the budget, Doctor Who's budget is nearly 2 million dollars an episode. I also disagree that the CGI of the airraid scenes were poor, maybe compared to a multi million dollar blackbuster movie, but I think they were very excellent for a television series. Most other sci fi TV shows won't even try to make an effect like that.
Old 05-08-06, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I loved this episode.
Old 05-08-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Certainly the question plenty of people have had. The entire first season takes place either on earth or in orbit. The second season does a good job of getting more away from that, but yeah: budget reasons.
I don't think I agree either - they've had episodes (OK - maybe just one, End Of The World) where they've had non-humans (with the make-up and effects that entails), and there's no reason the episodes on the space station couldn't have been on an alien station...

...except that a number of the stories have been tied together, at least on high-level. I guess I won't get into details that might be considered spoilerish, but it wouldn't make sense for most of the episodes to take place away from Earth given the tie into the overall themes. Particularly, the need to continue to return to contemporary Earth to visit the effect of Rose's "companionship" on her existing relationships.

Now I'm not sure those themes ended up being wholly successful - I enjoyed the episodes individually more than the season as a whole, I think.
Old 05-08-06, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
The second season does a good job of getting more away from that, but yeah: budget reasons.
The reason had nothing to do with budget. Russsell T. Davies said in several interviews that he wanted to "ground" the show in Earth reality before travelling the universe. Given the originals show's history and particularly how its second ever story, set on the planet Skaro, was what made the show so iconic, I don't agree with him. But those were his reasons, not budget.

As stated so far in second season the episodes have been

Spoiler:
1. Alien Planet
2. Earth
3. Earth
4. Earth / Spaceship

5. Not seen this yet but from the trailer it looks to me like its set on Mondas
Old 05-08-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So everybody is saying it's not because of budget then?

Old 05-08-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another great episode! I am becoming more and more addicted to this show. Good thing since BSG and Stargate Atlantis are over for a few months!
Old 05-08-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even when the show takes place in a distant galaxy or wherever... remember it's designed primarily for the domestic UK television market. And kids.

As I've said, Dr. Who never abandons its UK children's show roots--and hopefully never intends to... In some ways, that is what keeps it from seeming "cool" enough for the US "action/scifi" market. The 2nd-to-last episode of this season, for example, features an exended riff/satire of UK reality shows that seems very dorky and childish at best... and US audiences are likely to find it stupid-seeming... But I can't say I would ever want it to start catering to non-UK tastes more; that's part of its charm and its history.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-08-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ratings are in:

Ratings for the ninth episode of the first season of the new series, The Empty Child, on US television on the Sci Fi Channel, have come in: the telecast had a household rating of 1.04 with an average of 1.2 million viewers, a drop of a tenth of a million viewers and the lowest broadcast of the new season to date. (The broadcast took place on Cinco de Mayo, however, with viewing levels possibly affected in the evening; ratings on the broadcast networks were also noticeably down that night.) Season-to-date, Sci Fi reports that Doctor Who is currently averaging a 1.29 household rating and an average audience of 1.5 million viewers for the season.
Old 05-11-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blaming a dip in ratings on "Cinco de Mayo" is certainly a reason I've never heard before.