Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Commander In Chief: quickest crash-n-burn hit show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commander In Chief: quickest crash-n-burn hit show?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
It's certainly the fastest Hit to Failure that I can remember and all the politics that happened behind the scenes would make a great movie in itself.
Geena Davis must be more disappointed than anyone.

About Templeton. He is the one thing I didnt like about the original version. He wasnt a good villian at all. He was a stereotype villian with no shades of gray.
Perhaps Sutherland can join 24 next season as Jack Bauer's Dad.

Would he be believable as Jack Bauer's dad? I don't see the casting.
Old 05-04-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
He obviously did not see the recent episode where the desperate Democrats resorted to spiking the drink of the First Gentleman in order to make him look drunk at a function.

That was hilarious when Donald Sutherland's Republican character watched the news about the failed plot and scoffed "Amateur Hour".
And Carroll O'Conner portrayed and promoted a true blue conservativism on "All in the Family."

I would find shows like this a little more credible if the conservatives in them weren't written and played by some of Hollywood's biggest leftie advocates.
Old 05-04-06, 11:30 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I enjoyed the show, even after the retooling and new Thursday timeslot. I would have liked to have seen the season play out.

Originally Posted by WhattheFFF
woman president lol ..... people only tuned in to begin because they figured it was a comedy

Project much?
Old 05-04-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd
Would he be believable as Jack Bauer's dad? I don't see the casting.
I know it seems obvious but is he Kiefer Sutherland's real dad? I know the last names are the same but non-related actors could have the same last name.
Old 05-04-06, 11:38 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
I know it seems obvious but is he Kiefer Sutherland's real dad? I know the last names are the same but non-related actors could have the same last name.
Yes, Keifer is Donald's son IRL.
Old 05-04-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone remember The Jackie Thomas Show starring Tom Arnold back in the early 90's? That was an initial hit that crashed and burned even faster than Commander-In-Chief. Especially when you consider how that show had Roseanne as a lead-in. It lasted half a season and wasn't brought back in the fall by ABC.
Old 05-04-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Anyone remember The Jackie Thomas Show starring Tom Arnold back in the early 90's? That was an initial hit that crashed and burned even faster than Commander-In-Chief. Especially when you consider how that show had Roseanne as a lead-in. It lasted half a season and wasn't brought back in the fall by ABC.

NBC had a number of these type of burnouts in 8:30 Thursday slot over the years. "Inside Schwartz" for example.
Old 05-04-06, 12:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think those shows are the same thing. They had high ratings because of the lead-in, which quickly tapered because the show was not liked. Whereas Commander-in-Chief was genuinely popular.
Old 05-04-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't think those shows are the same thing. They had high ratings because of the lead-in, which quickly tapered because the show was not liked. Whereas Commander-in-Chief was genuinely popular.

I agree. Plus C-in-C didn't have much of a lead-in as I recall.
Old 05-11-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just reading in the paper yesterday that the news magazine (was it Primetime?) drew in 5.2 million viewers in the slot it took over for CiC. The previous week Commander drew 7.5 million.
Old 05-11-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How about Joanie Loves Chachi? I think that show was a big hit when it first aired, then it died quickly. It's still probably not the same because that show had known characters and was cashing in on the Happy Days audience.

So, yeah I don't know of another stand-alone show like C-i-C that rose and fell in one season.
Old 05-11-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
How about Joanie Loves Chachi? I think that show was a big hit when it first aired, then it died quickly. It's still probably not the same because that show had known characters and was cashing in on the Happy Days audience.

So, yeah I don't know of another stand-alone show like C-i-C that rose and fell in one season.
Joanie Loves Chachi was a big hit in Japan. Probably because "chachi" means "penis" in japanese. So, many people enjoyed a show called "Joanie loves penis." I mean, who wouldn't!?!
Old 05-11-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Joanie Loves Chachi was a big hit in Japan. Probably because "chachi" means "penis" in japanese. So, many people enjoyed a show called "Joanie loves penis." I mean, who wouldn't!?!
And anyone in America who watched the show quickly figured that Chachi was a dick without learning any words in Japanese.
Old 05-11-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WhattheFFF
woman president lol ..... people only tuned in to begin because they figured it was a comedy
You do know that this is the year 2006 right?

I can think of only one other instant where a show was retooled after the first season (even though it didn't need to be) and never was the same after that. The show was Mork and Mindy.
Old 05-15-06, 02:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
ABC announced they will burn off the rest of the episodes on Wednesdays after Lost starting May 31st
Old 05-15-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Neither of these diminished as rapidly as CiC, but I remember the Sammo Hung series Martial Law winning a bunch of awards and being popular when it first started. I actually liked it better when they added Arsenio Hall and Kelly Hu in the second season, but alas, it didn't make it. It was a fun show.

Also Joan of Arcadia seemed to be all the rage and a runaway hit for a while. I never watched an entire episode, but it seemed to lose popularity really fast.
Old 05-16-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
CIC is not entirely dead. ABC is thinking about a 2-hour TV movie that Rod Lurie will write, produce and direct.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/newswire.aspx?id=7160
Old 06-17-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank God, I hope that happens.

I watched CiC from the beginning and while I had nitpicks here and there I really liked the show. It's a shame what happened to it, and I'm not entirely sure I do know what happened.

But the last few episodes had exactly the changes I wanted in it.

1. Less Rod, or at least, less whiney Rod.
2. Less of the youngest daughter asking dumb questions to the President (Why do we kill people who kill, mommy? You said killing was wrong)
3. The twins are less stupid. We don't watch the show to see them try to get dates or how they are treated at school.
4. More politics. More Templeton. More tension.

The next season where the Presidential campaign would have taken place would have been great television, I'm sure of it.

Alas, hopefully we'll have the 2 hour movie to wrap things up.
Old 06-17-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing that I didnt like was Templeton and his one note character. That got old really quick.
Hope they do bring it back as a movie.
Old 06-17-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by riley_dude
The one thing that I didnt like was Templeton and his one note character. That got old really quick.
Hope they do bring it back as a movie.

I thought Templeton was the best part of the show.
Old 06-18-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, in the beginning Templeton WAS a little bit too "black hat", just wanting to undermine Mac at every opportunity, and THAT would have gotten old.

With the retooling, Templeton was calmed down a bit, and really wants the best for the country...according to him. His ends are noble but his means sometimes aren't. So his dastardly deeds, in the end, at least were counting for something.

I did like how they worked in archery in the birthday segment.
Old 06-19-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

The last episode was rather disappointing. The E.R.A. is such a needless piece of legislation. I can't imagine a major debate taking place today should the amendment be revived.
Old 06-19-06, 03:14 PM
Banned

Didn't Dan Ackroyd's sitcom Soul Man debut to really high ratings? It was a midseason replacement that didn't make it to the next year.
Old 06-19-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My problem with the show (and viewing the summer eps has confirmed it) was that the show had a "done before" vibe and never offered a fresh perspective on it's premise. I don't think there was one crisis on the show that hadn't already been done on The West Wing. The show never seemed to rise above being The West Wing...but with a woman.
Old 06-19-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't even know there were 2 episodes on after the appendix one, and I didn't realize that one was on until about 5 minutes before it started

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.