DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   40 Greatest Metal Songs:VH1 - 5/1 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/464005-40-greatest-metal-songs-vh1-5-1-a.html)

Mok 05-01-06 08:43 PM

40 Greatest Metal Songs:VH1 - 5/1

As rock music's badass brother, Heavy Metal has terrified parents, disgusted critics and inspired overt acts of unnecessary censorship since its very inception. But this bass-heavy, balls-out genre has another less detrimental effect on society at large: its inspired generations of disaffected metalheads with some amazing music. From Black Sabbath to Guns N' Roses, AC/DC to Tool, Metal boasts a long list of talented musicians who've banged out some of the most memorable songs in history. And VH1's got 'em all in the two-hour countdown 40 Greatest Metal Songs.

Whether epic, political, scary or downright silly, these tunes have one thing in common: they will rock your friggin' socks off. Who could resist jumping into the pit during Pantera's "Walk", banging your head `til it hurts to Metallica's "Master of Puppets", or throwing up the devil horns to Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast". VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs will bring you these, plus 37 more of the very best anthems to trash a hotel room to.

Additionally, VH1's vaunted panel of rock scholars and metal all-stars like Lars Ulrich, Scott Ian, Jerry Cantrell and Ronnie James Dio will weigh in on this, the definitive list of the greatest Metal music the world has ever known.

Countdown starts tonight 40-31

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/showimag.../3/288x104.jpg

Monday-Thursday May. 1-4
Airs all week at 11:00 PM EDT

40 Greatest Metal Songs:VH1 - 5/1

Note: I deleted previous thread due to having the wrong date in the title.

chino77 05-01-06 08:53 PM

lars ulrich? i already hate the show.

dick_grayson 05-01-06 09:03 PM

I have a bad feeling they're going to consider Poison and Bon Jovi and other non-metal as metal.

Snowmaker 05-01-06 09:07 PM

I'm sure we'll see no Iced Earth or Blind Guardian. I'll even be surprised if they acknowledge Slayer or Iron Maiden.

Giantrobo 05-01-06 09:49 PM

And the winner is.....JETHRO TULL!!!

Gasp...Boooooooooo!!!!

Snowmaker 05-01-06 10:00 PM

OK, it looks like they're digging a little deeper than I thought they would.

GuessWho 05-02-06 12:21 AM

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_gre...his_list.jhtml

JAA 05-02-06 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I have a bad feeling they're going to consider Poison and Bon Jovi and other non-metal as metal.

I'm optimistic that this may be heading in the right direction. For example, Def Leppard: High-N-Dry made the list instead of something from their more commercial Hysteria-era. :)

Deadpool 05-02-06 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I'm sure we'll see no Iced Earth or Blind Guardian. I'll even be surprised if they acknowledge Slayer or Iron Maiden.

There's no way they ignore Iron Maiden

ryuryu2949 05-02-06 09:33 AM

That seems like a fairly low ranking for "Paranoid."

Joe Molotov 05-04-06 10:28 PM

Well, I can't disagree with their #1 pick.

I...am...Ironman

DVD Josh 05-04-06 10:36 PM

One of the better lists of Metal that I've seen.

chino77 05-04-06 10:42 PM

"slave to the grind" by skid row at #18? what the hell?

the rest of the list seems ok...that was the only one that i dont understand being on the list.

Mok 05-04-06 11:22 PM

Great countdown, now I have to go and dust of Guitar Hero and jam to Iron Man.

TheMadMonk 05-05-06 10:00 AM

I don't think Slipknot or White Zombie or several others really needed to be on the list, but I'm old.

As for Slave to the Grind, they probably had to have a Skid Row song on the list, so Sebastian Bach would agree to host. Whether or not it deserved to be on the list, I do think it is a good song.

tcoursen 05-05-06 10:13 AM

Overall I thought it was pretty good. Could have done without the Skid Row song. I thought the Motley Crue song they picked was an odd selection, I probably would have picked Shout At The Devil over Livewire. Not so sure about Alice Cooper. 2 songs from the same Guns N Roses album might be a little much as well. And maybe instead of Rainbow in the Dark from Dio maybe go with something Dio did with Rainbow. Rainbow Rising is a great early metal album, but maybe not what they were going for with this list.

Mordred 05-05-06 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by chino77
"slave to the grind" by skid row at #18? what the hell?

the rest of the list seems ok...that was the only one that i dont understand being on the list.

While I think Bach is kind of a putz, and Skid Row should have never attempted to carry on without him, the band was great in their day. While Skid Row was a little to hair band for my liking, they knocked it out of the park with Slave to the Grind. That album was the first metal album to debut at #1 on the charts, and with good reason. It's hard to find much fault with an album including "Slave", "Monkey Business", "Quicksand Jesus", "In a Darkened Room" and one of the top 3 power ballads ever written "Wasted Time." Bach was an amazing vocalist and the rest of the band ripped it up. Subhuman Race didn't work out that well as the band was trying a bit too hard to stay current, but they certainly accomplished a lot in their day.

As for the list, I think VH1 was trying to keep all "metal fans" interested, as the Korn, Slipknot, SoaD songs attest. Not that those bands are bad, just the placement seems designed to keep interest.

"Rainbow in the Dark" is a great song, but as tcoursen said it would have been cool to have something like "Starstruck" on there in its place.

boc4ever 05-05-06 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I don't think Slipknot or White Zombie or several others really needed to be on the list, but I'm old.

As for Slave to the Grind, they probably had to have a Skid Row song on the list, so Sebastian Bach would agree to host. Whether or not it deserved to be on the list, I do think it is a good song.

What Sebastian said about the Slave to the Grind album was absolutely true. The album debuted at #1. Remember, at this time, Nirvana was taking over and metal was on the decline. Slave to the Grind was a great album. Skid Row could have taken a very commercial route after their debut, but they came out with a very hard follow up.

I enjoyed watching this last night. Glad to see Sepultura Refuse/Resist made the list. Chaos AD is an amazing album...

tcoursen 05-05-06 10:36 AM

Slave to the grind was the first metal album to premiere at #1 for one simple reason. They changed the rules on how they did the charts, and that was the first week that the new rules were under effect. other metal albums would have premiered at #1 before that if the new rules were used earlier.

To give it extra praise because it was the first to premiere at #1 is not really fair.

Slave to the Grind came out in June of 91. Nirvana's Nevermind didn't come out until September of 91. So you can't really say that it came out at a time when things were changing to Nirvana style music.

turborobb 05-05-06 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson

booooo on you!!! as a long time metal fan who loved everything from Thrash to Glam from Overkill, Exodus and Slayer to Firehouse, Autograph and Mr Big, I have to say Jovi's self titled, 7800, Slippery When Wet, Poisons Open Up and Say ahhh, and Look What The Cat Dragged In are some of the greatest Metal... yes METAL! albums of all time.

Maybe I'm getting old and stuck in the 80's, but I've been annoyed in the last few years with the redefining of what is and isnt Metal. I was sitting at a bar a few weeks ago and some guy next to me said he liked metal and I got excited and asked him his favorite Metal bands and he said "Linkin Park and Korn"!?!? This other time I was chatting with this kid in a record store and he was telling me Ozzy and Iron Maiden weren't really true metal and some band where the guy sounds like the cookie monster and dresses all hip hop is.

dick_grayson 05-05-06 11:01 AM

my point was that there'd be a lot of hard rock that would be considered metal. I don't consider most of the band VH1 considers metal to be what I consider metal. there's plenty of new and old stuff that still keeps it real. Motorhead is metal. Slayer is metal. Metallica is metal. Death is metal. In Flames is Metal. Dissection is metal. Emperor is metal. Bon Jovi or Poison are hard (barely) rock. There's a big difference. I'm not one of those snobs who believe in some weird definition of metal and abhor all that Limp Bizkit stuff (rap metal is not metal), but I believe that there's a line. Same thing goes for Blink 182 or Green Day calling themselves punk. Just because it looks like something doesn't make it so.

dick_grayson 05-05-06 11:09 AM

also, here's what people on blabbermouth (metal news board) are saying:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=51784

turborobb 05-05-06 11:46 AM

I see what you are sayin but don't agree, to me "Hard Rock" is like Bruce Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd or Bob Segar... I guess it really depends on your point of view and when you grew up, I know some guys who grew up in the 70's and Foghat, Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult was "heavy metal" to them, that's pushing it even for me, but I'm not going to tell them it's not. I grew up in the 80's and watched Headbangers Ball, listened to Metalshop (if anyone can find old copies of the metalshop radio show online check it out, they were awesome!) on the radio and they were full of Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Poison, Ratt, ect The "Metal" section of the record store had Bon Jovi and Van Halen and all those bands metal fans today say isn't metal. I remember one of our school bus drivers in high school would let us play tapes over the speakers in the bus and I gave him a Poison tape and he played half a song and turned it off and told me "nobody wants to hear that headbanging noise!" LOL! but then, I watch so called metal video shows today and see a bunch of hardcore bands and wonder where the metal is.

I looked at that babbermouth site... WTF, people are saying AC/DC isn't really metal!?! it's AC freaking DC!! \m/ They are one of the bands that define heavy metal! I just don't get it.

boc4ever 05-05-06 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tcoursen
Slave to the grind was the first metal album to premiere at #1 for one simple reason. They changed the rules on how they did the charts, and that was the first week that the new rules were under effect. other metal albums would have premiered at #1 before that if the new rules were used earlier.

To give it extra praise because it was the first to premiere at #1 is not really fair.

Slave to the Grind came out in June of 91. Nirvana's Nevermind didn't come out until September of 91. So you can't really say that it came out at a time when things were changing to Nirvana style music.

Grunge was a wave of music that began several years before Nevermind came out. There was a shift in general. Nevermind just broke things open.

I wasn't giving Slave to the Grind extra praise because of the Billboard charts. I could care less where an album places. The point was that Slave to the Grind was a powerful album. Skid Row could have gone the safe route and put out a more melodic album but they went heavier.

dick_grayson 05-05-06 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by turborobb
I see what you are sayin but don't agree, to me "Hard Rock" is like Bruce Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd or Bob Segar... I guess it really depends on your point of view and when you grew up, I know some guys who grew up in the 70's and Foghat, Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult was "heavy metal" to them, that's pushing it even for me, but I'm not going to tell them it's not. I grew up in the 80's and watched Headbangers Ball, listened to Metalshop (if anyone can find old copies of the metalshop radio show online check it out, they were awesome!) on the radio and they were full of Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Poison, Ratt, ect The "Metal" section of the record store had Bon Jovi and Van Halen and all those bands metal fans today say isn't metal. I remember one of our school bus drivers in high school would let us play tapes over the speakers in the bus and I gave him a Poison tape and he played half a song and turned it off and told me "nobody wants to hear that headbanging noise!" LOL! but then, I watch so called metal video shows today and see a bunch of hardcore bands and wonder where the metal is.

I looked at that babbermouth site... WTF, people are saying AC/DC isn't really metal!?! it's AC freaking DC!! \m/ They are one of the bands that define heavy metal! I just don't get it.

fair enough. I think our definitions are a bit different, but since we like the same music, it doesn't really matter. :)