DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Father's Day" 04/28/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/463653-doctor-who-sci-fi-fathers-day-04-28-06-a.html)

turborobb 04-28-06 02:54 AM

Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Father's Day" 04/28/06

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/docto...ay/dvd713-.jpg

The Place : London, England
The Year : 1987
The Problem : A man who should be dead is alive.

Starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose
also Shaun Dingwall as Pete Tyler and Camille Coduri as Jackie Tyler

Chew 04-28-06 06:16 AM

Probably my least favorite FX in the first series, but this is a great episode.

turborobb 04-28-06 05:55 PM

I dont understand when people say Doctor Who's FX doesn't hold up to American sci fi series... what American sci fi show tries to make aliens and creatures on the level of Doctor Who on a weekly basis? If Stargate, Trek or Battlestar tried to make aliens like the demons from Fathers Day, the creature in Long Game or the Slitheen would they look any better? oh yeah, that's right, the aliens on those shows look exactly like humans.

As a sci fi fan, That's one thing I love about Doctor Who, be it the old series or new series, they always tried to make aliens look like aliens, sure it might have looked silly and you could see the zipper of the costume, but at least the aliens from Doctor Who weren't a human with a bad haircut and pointed ears.

riley_dude 04-28-06 06:04 PM

The first time a tear ever came to my eye while watching a Doctor Who episode.

I agree with turbo bob about the effects. Sure they aren't a 100% great but how many TV shows are?
Remember the giant worm during Graduation Day on Buffy? Nothing else comes to mind at the moment.
Sure you see a lot of space effects in Sci Fi but like Turbo said, how many Aliens do you see? On Trek they had bumps on their forehead. That was it. Hell there wern't many Aliens that looked good in the Star Wars movie, except maybe Yoda and Chewy but that's a different topic all together.

Chew 04-28-06 09:26 PM

I said "least favorite", not "they suck". That should've implied I'm comparing this episode to the rest of the first series/season of Dr. Who and not anything else (ie US sci-fi).

Let's not pile on one of the few remaining diehards fans we have left. :p

Derrich 04-29-06 10:00 AM

Great Episode.

D

The Valeyard 04-29-06 10:34 AM

This was definately one of the best episodes this season. Tho the story was predictable...the writing, characterization and emotion more than made up for any flaws in the actual story. This was the episode that made me really like Billie Piper as a companion (and actress).

cdoug57 04-30-06 08:59 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Haven't ever seen this type of emotion in any version of this show. Effects are secondary to a well told story. So far this new incarnation of the Doctor is doing a very good job at providing interesting stories.

Josh-da-man 05-01-06 05:54 AM

Excellent episode. A good combination of the philosophical implications of time travel and the human, emotional side of it.

Christopher Eccleston was a great choice to play the Doctor, and Billie Piper is a great companion. He brings just the right combination of swashbuckler, sage, and clown to the role. And Rose is just the right combination of restless, impulsive youth and world-weary old soul.

Ayre 05-01-06 06:08 AM

I didn't care for it much. It wasn't bad, just not good. The premise started out well enough, even though we have seen it many many other times. Once they entered the church, it became too predictable and plodding. The creature was novel, but poorly executed.

Farscape had great aliens.

wendersfan 05-01-06 06:50 AM

I loved this episode.

bloopbleep 05-01-06 05:14 PM

this episode brought me back. the best Who since Tom Baker.

riley_dude 05-01-06 06:38 PM

The next few are very good too and the season finale is as good as any Doctor Who I have seen in the past.

mike7162 05-01-06 07:49 PM

This was a powerful episode. Even though this particular plot has been done a hundred times, it was extremely potent emotionally, and has stuck with me since I saw it on Friday.

calhoun07 05-01-06 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
The first time a tear ever came to my eye while watching a Doctor Who episode.

Wait until the finale. It really got to me, and is some of the best Dr. Who ever.

riley_dude 05-02-06 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Wait until the finale. It really got to me, and is some of the best Dr. Who ever.

I'll agree with you. I have seen it.
I love also when
Spoiler:
The tardis materializes around Rose.

Very cool.

The Valeyard 05-02-06 01:35 AM

Captain Jack is in da house this Friday!

The Valeyard 05-03-06 07:12 PM

The ratings are in for Father's Day.

US Ratings Report: "Father's Day"

Ratings for the eighth episode of the first season of the new series, Father's Day, on US television on the Sci Fi Channel, are in. The numbers varied from those as reported the previous week; while the average household rating was slightly down, to 1.14, the average viewing audience held at 1.4 million viewers. (We don't know what the exact relationship is between the rating and the viewership figures, apart from the fact that the viewer numbers held this week.) Season-to-date, Sci Fi reports that Doctor Who is currently averaging a 1.32 household rating and an average audience of 1.5 million viewers for the season.

Chew 05-04-06 06:16 AM

I wonder how long it'll take Sci-Fi to announce what the future of the show will be on their network?

milo bloom 05-30-06 11:22 PM

I just watched this earlier today (I have a huge backlog), and this is one that has cemented me as a Who fan, and yes, even got me a little moist in the eyes.

Maybe a bit predictable, but the characterizations were more than worth it.