DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/463563-thinking-watching-battlestar-galactica-worth.html)

0073735963 04-27-06 09:25 AM

Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of renting the seasons of the new Battlestar Galactica and was wondering what everyone's opinion on the show is? I've never seen the original or this one but I'm a fan of Sci-Fi and may like it. If so, is the Mini-series the first thing to watch? Thanks!!

Chew 04-27-06 09:29 AM

I'd say it's the best sci-fi on TV in many years. Yes, start with the mini. Just don't judge the series on that, it gets much better with the start of the weekly series.

taa455 04-27-06 09:31 AM

Yes, it's good. I've been getting caught up with the series on dvd. Highly recommend it to any fan of Sci-Fi. Anyone know when the 2nd half of season 2 will be out on dvd?

riley_dude 04-27-06 09:39 AM

It's a very intense and well done Space Opera. I know a few friends who thought it was a bit too serious and dark to keep watching it. So if you don't like that sort of think, stay away. If you do, you will really enjoy it. Good writing and some really well drawn characters.

kitkat 04-27-06 10:45 AM

I did what you're thinking of doing earlier this year, and I highly recommend it. It's a lot of fun. Yes start with the mini (which I thought was great, BTW).

0073735963 04-27-06 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies...just added to my Netflix Queue.

Chew 04-27-06 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by taa455
Anyone know when the 2nd half of season 2 will be out on dvd?

Rumor states September for 2.5: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5355

kvrdave 04-27-06 11:28 AM

Watching this is more important than eating food.

maingon 04-27-06 11:36 AM

yes, its one of the best shows on TV. Its amazing, the visuals, writing, acting everything
Start with the mini-series, even though the mini-series

I didnt start with the mini-series, I started with the first episode "33" and after the first season I think I rented the mini-series.

This is an amazing show.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 04-27-06 11:39 AM

don't do it.

pinata242 04-27-06 12:04 PM

do it.

cdollaz 04-27-06 12:08 PM

Anyone know if they are going to do a marathon showing of the second half of season 2?

Tracer Bullet 04-27-06 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave

I'm glad you specified. So is watching BSG not as important as eating, say, a telephone?

;)

mdc3000 04-27-06 12:41 PM

Not as important as eating p***y, I would imagine:P Great show, and I'd definitely recommend heading into the episodes even if you're not impressed with the miniseries. I thought the miniseries was OK, but the episodes are INCREDIBLE.

MATT

NotThatGuy 04-29-06 09:10 PM

It is in my queue, so hopefully I'll get to it this summer. I was never big into sci-fi, but I oved Firefly....so i'm going to give BG a try.

-p

RichardW 04-29-06 09:16 PM

This is one of my favorite shows on TV now. I finally got around to watching the season two finale today. It's going to be a long wait until October.

Joe Molotov 04-30-06 12:02 AM

Here's a quick quiz to see if Battlestar Galactica is the right show for you.

Question 1: Put your fingers against your wrist. Can you feel a pulse?

Question 2: Put your hand in front of your mouth. Can you feel air escaping?

Question 3: Do you ever occasionally have the urge to consume food and/or water?

If you answered Yes to two or more of these questions, then chances are you're alive and yes you should watch BSG.

BobDole42 04-30-06 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave

I agree 100%! Best thing on tv right now, by far.

BobDole42 04-30-06 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
It is in my queue, so hopefully I'll get to it this summer. I was never big into sci-fi, but I oved Firefly....so i'm going to give BG a try.

-p

pedagogue (and others renting BSG through netflix) - when you add BSG season 1 to your queue, netflix ships you disc 2, which is the first disc for the series. But you really need to watch the miniseries first, so be sure to also add that to your queue.

Zwerchfell 04-30-06 12:33 AM

Great show worth watching!

Lara Means 04-30-06 01:32 AM

I just want to say that I want to nail Starbuck. Great show!

Michael Corvin 04-30-06 08:07 AM

coincidentally, I just finished watching the mini the other day. Haven't started the season yet though. I was impressed. Very well done. I'm not sold on Starbuck being a chick yet though.

aktick 04-30-06 09:10 AM

I was always a sci-fi "hater," and on a whim decided to give this a try a while back...it's now one of my 3 or 4 favorite shows. Just incredible, I never thought a non-FX cable channel could have a show of this quality. I was wrong. Can be quite addicting when watching DVDs.

TheEdge21 04-30-06 07:09 PM

Just wanted to put in my vote for Yes, you should watch it. But as I explained it to a friend of mine, give it about 4 or 5 eps before coming to a conclusion (on if you like it or not). But to me it's worth the time

Jamers 06-26-06 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm not sold on Starbuck being a chick yet though.

You will be...you will be.