Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

South Park - 04.26.2006 - Manbearpig

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park - 04.26.2006 - Manbearpig

Old 04-27-06, 06:40 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,015
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not funny.
Old 04-27-06, 07:04 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Split time between DC and NYC
Posts: 1,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Towelie: "How spicy would you like your Chang Sauce?"

Customer: "Would you just place our order please?"

Towelie: "Oh man, I have NO idea what's going on..."

Manager: "Is everything okay here?"

Customer: "Fine, except this towel has been mixing Chang Sauce for 15 mintues. He's clueless!"

Towelie: "Don't call ME shoeless! YOU'RE shoeless!"

Customer: "Yeah, well you're a towel."

Towelie: "YOU'RE a towel!"

Manager: "Alright, that's it! Get out of here, you're fired!"

Towelie (pointing at customer): "Yeah!"

Manger: "Not him, YOU!"

Towelie: "Awwwwww..."
That actually is a lot funnier in print than it was on the show. Perhaps Towlie can grow on me...
Old 04-27-06, 09:56 PM
  #53  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked the whole 80s slasher parody scene with Manbearpig (aka Al Gore) stalking the kids playing basketball. It even had a cheezy synth score just like many of the films of that era. I actually wish they would've took off with that theme a bit more instead of what they went with. I didn't think it was all that bad, but it really bogged down in the middle. The visual of the guys carrying the bloated Cartman to safety was funny though, and you can never go wrong with crapping out treasure. All of that was made funnier by the fact it wasn't even real treasure. The Al Gore stuff didn't have the satirical punch they were hoping for, though.
Old 04-28-06, 07:38 AM
  #54  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
That actually is a lot funnier in print than it was on the show. Perhaps Towlie can grow on me...

My thoughts exactly. Although I've always loved Towelie and enjoyed the episode from the get-go, typing out that scene made it much funnier.

Then I rewatched the whole episode and it was much better the second time around. Minge and Gary are now classic SP characters IMO.

Towelie (to Geraldo): "You're a BEANER towel!"

Old 04-28-06, 09:21 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,866
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
Al Gore has a movie on global warming coming out soon. (you may have noticed the ads on every freaking page of this forum).
Shows how well those ads work - until I read this thread I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what this episode was about in terms of manbearpig and Al Gore. It seems like the guys were slightly ahead of the curve. If this had been aired after the movie release, it may have been better (not to mention they'd have had more ammo for jokes as Gore would have been in the press more).

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Towelie (to Geraldo): "You're a BEANER towel!"
Thinking back to those quotes extracted from last week - that actually was pretty funny.
Old 04-28-06, 02:35 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the Towelie episode, but this week I agree with the majority here. This was a really really boring episode......
Old 04-28-06, 02:48 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,347
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts
I thought the last two eps were pretty funny, though not their best. The treasure thing threw me though, my wife had it pegged as fake as soon as she saw the display, but I thought the words "smuggler's den" were a kind of surreal humor like the bit in Monty Python + Holy Grail where the person carves "arrrggghhh" into the wall.

As for "serial", I was born in Cen. KY, lived a year or so in Indiana, lived about 8-9 years in Kansas and Oklahoma, then about 12-13 in W. KY, then in Chicago burbs since 97. I have never heard that usage of "serial" for "serious" in any of those regions.
Old 04-28-06, 05:03 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,534
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last week's episode (Towelie) was the worst ever.

At least on this week's episode they gave Al Gore a good skewering. Any episode that blasts hippies can't be all that bad.
Old 04-28-06, 05:22 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,422
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike7162
Al Gore? Oprah? Are these leftover scripts from 2002? Cartman was funny tho'.
I was thinking the same thing.
Pretty ordinary episode.
Old 04-28-06, 05:52 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 5,973
Received 509 Likes on 259 Posts
My GF grew up in Phoenix and still says serial all the time. She is the only one I know who said it until I saw last night's episode. I think it may be time for the writing staff to take another retreat. Perhaps an episode with Darth Chef to liven things up.
Old 04-28-06, 06:34 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though the Oprah show might have been the worst I've seen, there were enough funny Towelie moments that my wife and I have been quoting them. We won't be doing that with Gore's episode.
Old 04-28-06, 07:08 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81,068
Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime
My GF grew up in Phoenix and still says serial all the time. She is the only one I know who said it until I saw last night's episode. I think it may be time for the writing staff to take another retreat. Perhaps an episode with Darth Chef to liven things up.
I've never heard "serial" out of anyone's mouth and I've lived in Phoenix for 25 years.
Old 04-28-06, 08:00 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This episode stunk almost as much as last week's...and I'm serial about this
Old 04-29-06, 09:06 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Split time between DC and NYC
Posts: 1,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gotrice487
This episode stunk almost as much as last week's...and I'm serial about this
But are you super cerial?
Old 04-29-06, 09:38 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Liked it better than last week's episode, but it was a weak episode. And I do have a bit of a problem with Matt and Trey essentially implying, via ManBearPig, that the threat of global warming is something Al Gore is making up just to get attention, instead of a real danger supported by scientific evidence. Much like they did with Mel Gibson, they went far out of the way to try to make Al Gore look like a complete wacko, and it failed in every possible way (including the most important one: "simply being funny").

The best section of the episode was Cartman and his "treasure" - especially when he's crawling around and accusing the other boys of being greedy and wanting his treasure for themselves (the Cartman/Kyle face-to-face part was classic!).
Old 05-01-06, 07:31 PM
  #66  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stan doing his best Mitch Kramer impersonation...




The Hanging Mushroom


Man with Helmet and Two Bowling Balls


The Two Sisters
Old 05-01-06, 09:09 PM
  #67  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Liked it better than last week's episode, but it was a weak episode. And I do have a bit of a problem with Matt and Trey essentially implying, via ManBearPig, that the threat of global warming is something Al Gore is making up just to get attention, instead of a real danger supported by scientific evidence. Much like they did with Mel Gibson, they went far out of the way to try to make Al Gore look like a complete wacko, and it failed in every possible way (including the most important one: "simply being funny").

The best section of the episode was Cartman and his "treasure" - especially when he's crawling around and accusing the other boys of being greedy and wanting his treasure for themselves (the Cartman/Kyle face-to-face part was classic!).
There potrail of Algore was dead on. Global Warming is a natural process caused by greater solar activity. Proof of this is Global Warming being found on Mars. Even if I am wrong and Global Warming is caused by man no serious scientist believes it will be nearly as disasterous as Algore trys to make it out. Trey and Matt clearly aren't kind to environmentalists and they are a refreshing change of pace from the huge liberal bias in most of todays comedy. Great episode.
Old 05-01-06, 10:43 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
There potrail of Algore was dead on. Global Warming is a natural process caused by greater solar activity. Proof of this is Global Warming being found on Mars. Even if I am wrong and Global Warming is caused by man no serious scientist believes it will be nearly as disasterous as Algore trys to make it out. Trey and Matt clearly aren't kind to environmentalists and they are a refreshing change of pace from the huge liberal bias in most of todays comedy. Great episode.
Regardless of the cause, Global Warming is a reality, not something Al Gore made up (aka ManBearPig) just to get attention.

(He may have invented the Internet ...but he didn't invent Global Warming.)
Old 05-01-06, 11:29 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 14,181
Received 175 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Shows how well those ads work - until I read this thread I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what this episode was about in terms of manbearpig and Al Gore.
I had no idea either. I just assumed they were making fun in general of what an immense buffoon Al Gore is. But since that has been pretty obvious for many years now, it sort of ceased to be funny a long time ago. And at least as it related to Al Gore, this episode was no exception.
Old 05-02-06, 09:00 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Cusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 7,734
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I dare say I agree with you.

I caught both of these this weekend, and I agree.
Old 05-02-06, 01:00 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,688
Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Other than Cartman giving me a couple of laughs, I thought this episode sucked hard. And purely from a humor point of view. I don't care if it's Gore, Bush, or any other political person they're making fun of, the manbearpig/Gore parts were just not funny. Cartman stuffed with fake treasure, on the other hand...
Old 05-02-06, 01:17 PM
  #72  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,630
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
Cartman stuffed with fake treasure, on the other hand...
yet, you could see that coming from a mile.
Old 05-02-06, 01:41 PM
  #73  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe they thought Cartman was funnier then Algore. There potrayal of Algore was hilarious. I have the believe the upcoming release of Inconvient Truth is the reason they chose to savage Algore right now. Trey and Matt aren't out of touch. Manbearpig is.
Old 05-02-06, 03:03 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Owatonna, MN
Posts: 385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
And I do have a bit of a problem with Matt and Trey essentially implying, via ManBearPig, that the threat of global warming is something Al Gore is making up just to get attention, instead of a real danger supported by scientific evidence.
I agree. Typically South Park's satire throws at least a small bone to the opposition viewpoint. Not in this case, which made the episode feel more forced and invasive.
Old 05-02-06, 11:29 PM
  #75  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjhess
I agree. Typically South Park's satire throws at least a small bone to the opposition viewpoint. Not in this case, which made the episode feel more forced and invasive.
Trey and Matt just tellin it like it is

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.