DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "The Long Game" 04/21/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/462947-doctor-who-sci-fi-long-game-04-21-06-a.html)

turborobb 04-21-06 04:49 AM

Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "The Long Game" 04/21/06

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/docto...me/dvd577-.jpg
This Friday Night April 21st at 9pm on Sci Fi

The Year : 200,000
The Place : Satellite Five
The Problem : Who (or What) controls all of the news broadcasts to the human race?

Starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose
also Simon Pegg as The Editor and Bruno Langley as Adam

The Valeyard 04-21-06 01:19 PM

Not too hip on this episode. A bit of a filler IMO.

riley_dude 04-21-06 05:53 PM

I agree but I like the new companion.

turborobb 04-21-06 06:46 PM

not the best episode of the series, but not bad either.
Worth seeing because it sets up some events for the seasons final double episode story and Simon Pegg (Shaun of Shaun of the Dead) is fantastic as the villian.

Autumn 04-22-06 07:17 AM

It was cool to see Anna Maxwell Martin from Bleak House in this episode.

Panda Phil 04-22-06 08:21 AM

I was kinda 'Meh' the first time I saw it too, but kinda warmed to on a second viewing after having finished the season.

Simon Pegg was definately stole all his scenes. A pity they couldn't have saved him for a 'meatier' episode and role.

"I call him Max."

The Valeyard 04-23-06 01:41 PM

Pretty quiet this week.

Breakfast with Girls 04-23-06 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Not too hip on this episode. A bit of a filler IMO.

The Valeyard 04-23-06 05:33 PM

Does that mean my comment scared everyone away from this episode? In that case, EVERY episode from here on in is BRILLIANT!

Gah. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut from now on.

Chew 04-24-06 06:17 AM

I'm pretty sure the way "Dalek" was hyped, it was used as the last straw. That being the case, it wouldn't shock me if both the ratings and these very threads return to just the diehards (essentially, but not exclusively, the ones who are in the S2 threads too).

The Valeyard 04-24-06 10:36 AM

Ah well. There goes my dream of Doctor Who being a major hit in the US.

Panda Phil 04-24-06 11:59 AM

I'd still like to hear how DW's ratings compare to those of Sci-Fi's other 'runaway hit' shows like Stargate and BSG. Sciffy's ratings have always been pretty small compared to the networks haven't they?

Chew 04-24-06 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
I'd still like to hear how DW's ratings compare to those of Sci-Fi's other 'runaway hit' shows like Stargate and BSG. Sciffy's ratings have always been pretty small compared to the networks haven't they?

This was discussed just a bit last week. "Dalek" got a 1.17 rating, the season finale of BG got a 1.9. Neither are great numbers, but that's nearly a 40% dropoff.

riley_dude 04-24-06 01:37 PM

From the comments here, I don't think that is going to happen.

I was to friends over the weekend about the dismal reaction from American Audiences (while watching New Earth ) and we really couldn't understand why it isn't catching on here. One friend chimed in that maybe people have just gotten a bit spoiled with the top notch production values that American Television has. I don't know.

Groucho 04-24-06 01:44 PM

Even at it's peak popularity in the USA, the show was still very much a cult show. Fact is, the show is very much "British." The good news is that it's a smash in the UK, so new shows will continue to be made for some time (the 3rd season has already been greenlit, not to mention Torchwood in October).

riley_dude 04-24-06 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Even at it's peak popularity in the USA, the show was still very much a cult show. Fact is, the show is very much "British." The good news is that it's a smash in the UK, so new shows will continue to be made for some time (the 3rd season has already been greenlit, not to mention Torchwood in October).

That is good news for the people who Do like like the show.
Torchwood is October huh? I hadn't heard that. That is good news too.

The Valeyard 04-24-06 05:27 PM

They start shooting Torchwood next month. Most casting info was just put up over at Outpost Gallifrey.

We also have another Christmas special to look forward to. And the K-9 spin-off series in the near future (tho that one isn't being handled by the BEEB).

Lotsa Who coming soon (thank goodness!)

Ted The Bug 04-24-06 09:09 PM

I was extremely confused by this episode. Why was there suddenly a guy in the TARDIS with Dr and Rose at the beginning of the episode? It felt like they skipped over an episode

Jackskeleton 04-24-06 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I was extremely confused by this episode. Why was there suddenly a guy in the TARDIS with Dr and Rose at the beginning of the episode? It felt like they skipped over an episode

Didn't you see the previous episode with Captain Jack?

I thought it was a great episode and it does tie into another episode down the line.

Groucho 04-24-06 10:44 PM

That wasn't Captain Jack, that was Adam.

Ted The Bug 04-24-06 10:54 PM

The last episode aired on Sci-Fi was the Dalek one... wait, was he the guy working for the crazy museum guy in that episode? I guess I missed where he joined Rose and the Dr if so

Groucho 04-24-06 10:57 PM

He was invited onto the TARDIS at the end of the episode.

The Valeyard 04-24-06 11:24 PM

Captain Jack shows up in two weeks.

turborobb 04-25-06 12:54 PM

Don't worry about the ratings guys, I think the show will catch on in America... Remember, outside of a few old school cult diehards (like me), Doctor Who is pretty much a brand new show for most of the USA. Were Stargate's or Buffy's ratings any better 6 episodes into thier first seasons? Give it time.

to look on the bright side, I'm willing to bet more people in the states have now been exposed to Doctor Who on Sci Fi then they ever have with reruns on PBS in the 80's.

riley_dude 04-25-06 02:46 PM

True but from the sound of things, they don't like it.

No comments on Adam's fate at the end of the episode?