Reload this Page >

"It takes a thief" compensation?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-20-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently watching "It Takes A Theif" on Discovery Channel and the guy just TRASHED a cabinet that, while the family was showing the house, the wife mentioned that it was full of family heirlooms and collectables that could not be replaced. I can't imagine for a second that they would actually do this. I know he's supposed to be a real thief, and a real thief would do that... but he's NOT a real thief. Do they put fake stuff in the house for the guy to break? or is this family really out of their stuff.... FOR A TV SHOW?! If this was real and it was my stuff being broken I would not be sitting there "oh, man, that was valuable, I can't replace that" I would be strangling the host saying "I'M GETTING FULL COMPENSATION FOR THAT, AND I'M TAKING IT OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!!

I understand taht they get a total security makeover, but I don't think that would be worth getting all of my stuff trashed.

ok.....discuss.
Old 04-20-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, well I just got to the end of the show and they did admit that they secretly switched out the valuables with cheap stuff.... but still, what if there was something important that they didn't mention? I guess THAT'S the risk of being on the show.
Old 04-20-06, 10:46 PM

There are a few aspects of this show that I don't like. The one you mentioneed is pretty bad. They often claim that the thief has no knowledge of the home before breaking in, yet he always goes for the stuff the homeowners specifically mention as valuable or important.

But that isn't the real problem. There are two negative effects this show could have on its viewers. One: An overblown and unwarranty fear of burgalry in and already overly afraid society. Two: A by the numbers lesson on the best ways to break into a home and get the most out in a short time. So the show is scaring people who needn't be afraid, and training people who might want to get into the business.

Still I watch it if I see it is on and am usually entertained.
Old 04-21-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, if that little timer in the corner of the screen is accurate, the thief usually is in and out within 10 mins with everything valuable. However, these guys WERE real thieves, and probably have learned over the years the most common places that people store their valuables.

I also very much agree with your second point. They show step by step the best ways to break into a house. I don't really know how they can get away with this. Unless some of it is faked to throw off people who are trying to learn, but even if that's the case, the methods they use seem to work.
Old 04-21-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joxer
I am currently watching "It Takes A Theif" on Discovery Channel and the guy just TRASHED a cabinet that, while the family was showing the house, the wife mentioned that it was full of family heirlooms and collectables that could not be replaced. I can't imagine for a second that they would actually do this. I know he's supposed to be a real thief, and a real thief would do that... but he's NOT a real thief. Do they put fake stuff in the house for the guy to break? or is this family really out of their stuff.... FOR A TV SHOW?! If this was real and it was my stuff being broken I would not be sitting there "oh, man, that was valuable, I can't replace that" I would be strangling the host saying "I'M GETTING FULL COMPENSATION FOR THAT, AND I'M TAKING IT OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!!

I understand taht they get a total security makeover, but I don't think that would be worth getting all of my stuff trashed.

ok.....discuss.
I am taking that you are a new viewer of this series, as in most cases, nothing important is broken.

And all the security crap they get (and maybe a appearance fee), makes up for the little things that might get broken.
Old 04-21-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with this show whatsoever. If it raises awareness for people to lock their doors and windows, then I am all for it.

When they break in most of the time..its because of a inadequte lock, or a open window.