Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Final 7 -- 04/18/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home Wednesday night?
Ace Young
58.72%
Katherine McPhee
0%
Kellie Pickler
16.51%
Chris Daughtry
0.92%
Elliott Yamin
17.43%
Paris Bennett
6.42%
Taylor Hicks
0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Final 7 -- 04/18/06

Old 04-18-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yes, it was a good night. Save for Ace and Kellie. They have to be in the bottom three. They were terrible. Ace was just awful. Can't believe the judges liked him. Who will be the third?
You mean 2nd and 3rd. No way is Pickler in the bottom 3. Like it or not, she is a golden child and is safe regardless of what she does for at least a couple more weeks.

Ace and Elliott will be two of the bottom three. The 3rd is a little more difficult. Whoever it is will be at least a mild surprise. Katharine may be the third, possibly Paris. Regardless, Ace will be leaving.
Old 04-18-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very good night for 6 out of 7 contestants.

Great
Paris - Finally, the Paris from the initial audition showed up.
Chris - A mention of the eye makeup, probably because it was in the papers.
Katharine - Great voice.

Very Good
Taylor
Elliott

Good
Ace - Probably his best performance. He looked like Gordon Gekko.

Bad
Kellie - Although I do dislike her anyway, this was still a terrible performance. She was completely over her head and it was all out of tune. Still, I doubt she gets the boot. She might end up in the bottom three.
Old 04-18-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
would like to see paris gone
but would be happy with ace leaving
Old 04-18-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
geez, here we are on page 2 and not one "Ace gives me teh hot!!!!" or whatever the phrase is. I guess his Steven Seagal doo killed it.
Old 04-18-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris was really bad. Kellie was the worst.

Katherine, Paris, and Taylor were the best. In that order.
Old 04-18-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Chris was really bad.
Old 04-18-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by moocher
He was even worse last week. You gotta love the ascot and chain look though.
Old 04-18-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I guess I'll go with Ace going home this week. Pulling his hair back had to cost him, as thats all he had going for him.

Bottom three: Elliott, Ace, and (big shocker) CHRIS.
Old 04-18-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
Ace gives me teh hot!!!!
Old 04-18-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

i didnt know katherine had it in her
she may have given chris competition for best of the night

and taylor was close behind
Old 04-18-06, 09:02 PM

After an hour of voting, Dial Idol has the following ranking:

Spoiler:

1. Taylor
2. Kellie
3. Elliott
4. Chris
5. Katherine
6. Paris
7. Ace

I am surprised by the strong ranking of Elliott, and the lower ranking of Paris.

My two favorites this week are Paris and Elliot. I don't understand how anyone can think Katherine did better than Paris. Katherine can sing but she is so dull.

When Rod Stewart looked at Kellie, he had an "I have all you picked out to be my fifth wife" vibe to him.

I laughed when Taylor made a "Bushism". He said something like "Flattery is the best form of humor."
Old 04-18-06, 09:27 PM

Seriously what the hell do I have to do to help keep Elliott in this week? Vote about 5000 times? He gave a great, sincere vocal that was perfectly pleasant and enjoyable, like usual. What else does he have to do to avoid being in the bottom three again? Just because he doesn't get up there and flail around like a spaz or act like an airhead, he gets labeled as having no personality. Like Chris and Katherine have all that much more than he does? Yeah right. Why do you need to have some schtick to be considered interesting? I agree that Elliott's more of a vocalist than a performer, but if Simon's trying to act like showmanship and "larger than life" stage presence are so crucial to make it through, how in the $%#@ did vanilla bland Carrie Underwood win last year?

Elliott seems like a sweet, humble normal guy, with a goofy grin and (most importantly) a really awesome and interesting voice. Plus with all his health problems (still hard to believe he's nearly deaf in one ear) and past struggles, I just find myself wanting him to do well and get the recognition his talent deserves. If he gets booted and Kellie (who was by far the worst this week...everyone else was very good to great) stays, it will truly be because she has this cult of fans voting largely for her "entertainment value" and looks more than anything. Hopefully she goes this week. Even that wannabe Casanova Ace sang circles around her.

My rankings:
Chris
Katherine
Elliott
Paris
Taylor
Ace
Kellie
Old 04-18-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was the first time I actually didn't cringe watching Chris. I think he only growled two times. Might have been the best overall night this whole season even though Kellie blew chunks. Katherine hit a few bum notes and I was surprised by how much the judges liked her performance.

Does anyone know if Taylor copied another version of "You Send Me" or did he make up the ending? Thought he and Paris were the best.

Hope Ace goes home because no matter what talent he might have it's still a bit too much boyband for me to take seriously.
Old 04-18-06, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to only quote back that partial spot of my post...
Old 04-18-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My bottom 3:
Kellie
Taylor (didn't like the karaoke music and boring start...and too overdone at the end)
Ace

I thought Elliot and Paris were in their element (although I hate Paris' voice). I thought Katharine was good, but not as good as Simon remarked.

Top 3 (in no order):
Katharine
Elliot
Paris
Old 04-18-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I thought everyone but Pickler and Ace was good, but I have another bone to pick with this show.

This is the highest rated show on TV for years, a cultural icon, and a show rooted in MUSIC.

SO WHY THE FUCK do we have to put up with the HORRENDEOUS sound on this show.
The HD 5.1 mix of AI is TERRIBLE...Chris entire performance was ruined by an annoying microphone hum from that on stage guitarist, Taylor and Elliot were drowned out (AGAIN) by Rickey Minor's SHIT band (How fucking annoying were the backup singers on It Had To Be You????), and we ALWAYS catch the judges comments or the stage mic during the standing ovations, instead of hearing crowd noise.

Seriously, what the fuck are they paying the sound guy? THIS IS EVERY WEEK!
Old 04-18-06, 10:24 PM

If Kellie and/or Taylor are not bottom 3 this week (Kellie really screwed up and I found Taylor boring), I think it becomes even more obvious that they will be the final 2.
Old 04-18-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Well, you took a load off my chest." Kellie delivers once again!

I think most did well tonight, and for some (Taylor, Katharine, Paris, and even Elliott), it's their element, the more slower songs that have great melodies and hooks. Taylor put some punch into his performance which sold the song by the end of it. Paris is born to sing the standards, but is that what America wants for the next AI? Katharine still reminds me of a beauty pageant contestant when she's up there singing, just don't make her move around too much while she's performing and she does fine.

Kellie was a bit out of her element, but I listen to her vocals, and she does have a clearness to her vocals that I prefer in female singers. Still, her strong suit is country/western, so I didn't have high expectations, but still okay to me. It's the converse with Katharine trying to sing country, it simply doesn't work.

Ace just doesn't really have a natural vocal timber to be as versatile. He's simply average, and I suspect he'll go home tomorrow.

Elliott tries too hard, just doesn't have the natural charisma to go with his R&B voice. Chris had a nice, controlled, and understated presence to his performance, but I almost forgotten his performance by the time the rest of the contestants had done their songs.

My bottom three (on performance alone this week):

Ace
Elliott
Kellie

Last edited by Patman; 04-18-06 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was not impressed with Kelly's singing, but I was impressed her honestly. I have never heard another AI be honest about their own singing. All the other times an AI would kill a song, but then say that they did a great job. Kelly just said it like it was - Bad.

My daughter said she was going to vote for her becuase of her honestly.
Old 04-18-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kellie was absolutely horrible. It started out bad, but just typical bad. Halfway through the song it just seemed to completely break down. It was downright painful to watch.

I thought Taylor was great. He had the vocals AND the performance down tonight. And even though I'm not crazy about him, I thought Chris did excellent.
Old 04-18-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up giving Elliot about twenty votes and Katherine about ten votes, all votes about one hour after the end of the show.

When calling Elliot's line, it was busy at least a third of the time. By far the most busy signals I've seen this year. Katherine also had a respectful number of busy signals, but not quite as high of a number.

Anyway, I really hope Kellie Pickler goes - I used to think she was cute and funny, but at this stage she's just annoying. "Oh, words and lyrics are the same thing!"
Old 04-18-06, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
When calling Elliot's line, it was busy at least a third of the time. By far the most busy signals I've seen this year.
I wonder if Elliot picked up Bucky's votes this week.
Old 04-18-06, 11:14 PM

Except for Pickler and Young, I thought everyone had their A game tonight. It was great to watch for the singing and not the trainwreck aspect of it all for once. My favorites of the night were Taylor and Kat and so they are getting the votes, but I even enjoyed Elliott tonight and that never happens. It's a miracle! Great night all around.

In other news, Rod Stewart is very huggy. It was odd.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-18-06 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 11:16 PM

Overall, I thought this was probably the best show so far this season.

I loved Elliott, Paris, and Katharine.
I liked Chris and Taylor.
I didn't like Kellie or Ace.

I think it's Ace's turn to go home.

VOTE FOR ELLIOTT!!!
(1-866-IDOLS-04)
Old 04-18-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ace has the best sing-out song for tomorrow's weekly dismissal: "That's All".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.