Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

04/12/06 - South Park - Cartoon Wars Part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
I think they kind of had to dumb-down the concept of "free-speech" relative to censorship. Ask your average Joe, the majority of people love throwing around the word "censorship" without actaully knowing what it means. If you're not allowed to say something, your're obviously being censored, which of course is incorrect.

Great episode! It's all or nothing.
If you cannot say something, of course you're being censored. I think perhaps what you're getting at is when someone believes they have some sort of right to resources to make what they have to say be heard, they suggest that denying them those resources is censorship when it isn't.
Old 04-12-06, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Was that removal by Comedy Central part of the actual episode, or was that for real?
I don't know but I'm guessing it was for real. Since they called the President of Fox at the end of the episode Doug, as in Doug Herzog the President of Comedy Central.

I'm guessing these episodes were in response they couldn't use Mohammad in an upcoming episode since the reactions of the cartoons. Since he was already in an older episode.
Old 04-12-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jas722
I don't know but I'm guessing it was for real. Since they called the President of Fox at the end of the episode Doug, as in Doug Herzog the President of Comedy Central.

I'm guessing these episodes were in response they couldn't use Mohammad in an upcoming episode since the reactions of the cartoons. Since he was already in an older episode.
I'm not so sure of that. I saw the whole Mohammad thing as a metaphor for pulling the episode that Scientology/Tom Cruise supposedly got pulled. I think it's hard to say, really.
Old 04-12-06, 10:14 PM

Very True, that is what I thought when I saw the first part. Thought they were ripping on Tom Cruise and Scientology for getting their reruns pulled of Trapped in the Closet. Also the protesting against the Virgin Mary episode. But now I'm really not sure with the naming of the President at the end.

Who would have thought that what used to be a simple comedy would turn into this great show.
Old 04-12-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

South Park is really a phenomenon.
Just awesome. We should be cheering in the streets over this episode just as you-know-who were rioting in the streets over another cartoon.
The total pussying out of our free society to the demands of violent lunatics is really our downfall. And very few in any medium are willing to say that publicly out of fear. We think they'll like us and not blow us up, but the exact opposite is true. Our showing weakness and the willingness to adhere to other people's religious rules at the expense or our right as human beings to speak freely without fear only spurs them on to end us.
Old 04-13-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
So it was okay to show a depiction of Mohammad a couple years ago (Jesus & Friends), but now it's not?

Hey, look - it's a depiction of Mohammad!

Bring on the riots!
Old 04-13-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cowabunga, motherfucker!

I thought the ending was anticlimactic and sucked, but the rest of the episode was awesome.
Old 04-13-06, 12:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

"I'ma American. I'ma pregnant witha baby and I'm not married!"

"Let's Crap!"

"Hello, I'ma Jesus. Woulda you like me to crap on you Mr. Bush?"

"Yummy yummy crap!"

Old 04-13-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the one thing that would have made the episode even better: if jack bauer had been on the other end of that red phone saying "mr. president, i need to know where you stand on this!" other than that, the episode was gold. including the end.
Old 04-13-06, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh, I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't think it was so funny, except for the first few minutes (won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it)
Old 04-13-06, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by FatTony
the one thing that would have made the episode even better: if jack bauer had been on the other end of that red phone saying "mr. president, i need to know where you stand on this!" other than that, the episode was gold. including the end.
Then South Park would be doing the exact thing they are criticizing Family Guy for. Would be funny though.

I loved the episodes. Regardless of who censored the ending (comedy central, viacom, or matt & trey themselves), it's pretty sad that an American can't show a tame image of Mohammed, but it's acceptable to show several Americans, the President and Jesus defiling the American flag. Seems fair.
Old 04-13-06, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
"Zero, zero, destruct . . ."

Old 04-13-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Todd B.
"Zero, zero, destruct . . ."

Awesome.
Old 04-13-06, 06:21 AM
Suspended

Yeah I meant to mention that they started using the Star Trek III Enterprise destruct sequence, although the geek in me knows they forgot a zero.
Old 04-13-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Danny Pocket: "*Cough*Cough*Cough*....ow."

As for the removal of Mohammed, that has to be SP doing it as a joke rather than the network doing it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to remove some word balls from the manatee tank.
Old 04-13-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Yeah I meant to mention that they started using the Star Trek III Enterprise destruct sequence, although the geek in me knows they forgot a zero.
Is it even geeker to point out the sequence was originally used in the TOS episode: "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"?

Yes.
Old 04-13-06, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chew
Is it even geeker to point out the sequence was originally used in the TOS episode: "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"?

Yes.
Got me there.
Old 04-13-06, 06:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Loved this episode. They poked as much fun at themselves as at Family Guy - all the talk about jokes evolving from the plot and some cartoons getting too preachy.
Old 04-13-06, 07:31 AM

Speaking of Star Trek references, when Cartman first walked into that room with the manities, it reminded me a lot of the Xindi Aquatics. For some reason I thought they were going to start talking/squeeling or whatever the hell it was they did.

I liked that line about FG not being preachy like some shows. Can't remember it exactly. Also loved the Cartman/Kyle fight "omage" to the Peter Griffin/Chicken fight.
Old 04-13-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I can't believe how overly hyped some of you are for this episode. It was ok i guess. I don't think I laughed more than once or twice, but it was still entertaining.
Old 04-13-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Grunter should be happy considering he wrote half a dozen of the lines in tonight's episode.
That's what I was thinking!

Great episode, this season is turning out fantastic so far. I still say there probably wasn't a need for a two-parter on this but they handled it well enough. I loved "Bart" wanting to have Family Guy taken off the air and for some reason, them fighting through the King of the Hill studio with nothing going on got a chuckle out of me. That was pretty mean of them to insult the manatees intelligence like that though.

Laundry, Date, Mexico, Gary Coleman! The perfect Family Guy joke! *dies laughing*

Censorship.
Old 04-13-06, 08:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
'Cowabunga Motherf**ker!'

loved the little visual reference to 'Ice Age'

Last edited by Giles; 04-13-06 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-13-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, South Park fans are idiots (at least over at the official site). There's like a dozen threads with people literally ON FIRE trying to start letter-(hate)-writing campaigns about Comedy Central "censoring" the episode. Please, somebody reassure me. Are people REALLY this stupid? It can't be, can it?
Old 04-13-06, 09:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Wow, South Park fans are idiots (at least over at the official site). There's like a dozen threads with people literally ON FIRE trying to start letter-(hate)-writing campaigns about Comedy Central "censoring" the episode. Please, somebody reassure me. Are people REALLY this stupid? It can't be, can it?
sad really, they seemed to miss the point entirely.
Old 04-13-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

my dvr cut out with about 1 minute left. I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't go through with the Mohommad thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.