DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Simpsons -- "Million Dollar Abie" -- 04/02/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/460943-simpsons-million-dollar-abie-04-02-06-a.html)

LorenzoL 04-02-06 07:59 AM

The Simpsons -- "Million Dollar Abie" -- 04/02/06

"Million Dollar Abie"
Spoiler:
Grandpa considers suicide but decides to become a matador instead, after foiling Homer's plans to make Springfield home to a professional football franchise.

Cast: Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Pamela Hayden.
Producer(s): James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean.

Original Airdate: April 2, 2006.

TheMovieman 04-02-06 12:21 PM

Also, I saw on the MSNBC scroll that the Simpsons movie trailer will be on tonight...

NORML54601 04-02-06 07:09 PM

I've got meltdown mania!

I've got down syndrome!

rotfl

El Gray 04-02-06 07:15 PM

"I've got Downs Syndrome!" Heh.

Preditor74 04-02-06 07:23 PM

Simspsons Movie preview just aired...that was their announcment...

j123vt_99 04-02-06 07:26 PM

Is Dr. Egoyan some sort of joke? Seems like a wierd name

Detective Thorn 04-02-06 07:50 PM

I enjoyed the Soylent Green reference even though I am sure no one even realized that it was a reference to anything.

resinrats 04-02-06 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99

I was trying to figure out if they were trying to say Kervorkian (SP?) with some weird spelling or mixed up letters.

Brain Stew 04-03-06 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Detective Thorn
I enjoyed the Soylent Green reference even though I am sure no one even realized that it was a reference to anything.

I got the reference. Edward Robinson, picked a field of flowers unlike Abe Simpson, though :lol:.

Count Dooku 04-03-06 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Detective Thorn

They should have done more with the Edward G Robinson in SG and Chief Wiggum connection.

Chew 04-03-06 06:23 AM

Enjoyed the first half a lot more than the second.

DiePod :lol:

LorenzoL 04-03-06 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
Enjoyed the first half a lot more than the second.

I agree with this assessment. The whole bullfighting scenes with Grampa seems silly except I did get a laugh when the bulls were running wild on the streets.
Rob Reiner changing the Hollywood stars of his father and Rob Lowe was :lol:

Originally Posted by j123vt_99

I didn't get the joke on the name (if there was one).
I'm wondering if they are referring to the Canadian director Atom Egoyan?

silentbob007 04-03-06 08:39 AM

I feel shamed, but I laughed when it lookedl like Bart was going to ram Homer in the ass with the horns on the bike, didn'tn, then Homer turned around and rammed his crotch into it.

Charlie Goose 04-03-06 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Preditor74
Simspsons Movie preview just aired...that was their announcment...

Now will they mention it every episode for the next 16 months? Ay caramba!

My biggest laugh came as Grandpa and Lisa were high above the destruction attached to balloons and two bulls also floated up to attack.

Chew 04-03-06 08:54 AM

What was the deal with the credits sequence and Grandpa testifying in front of a committee? I didn't quite get the significance of that.

The Bus 04-03-06 08:57 AM

Chew: I didn't see it but I'm sure it's some Murrow / Good Night and Good Luck reference.

Also, anyone who saw Ice Age 2 saw the preview already. ;)

Chew 04-03-06 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Chew: I didn't see it but I'm sure it's some Murrow / Good Night and Good Luck reference.

That was certainly the impression I got, but I didn't understand the point of including it.

Groucho 04-03-06 09:24 AM

What was the deal with the credits sequence and Grandpa testifying in front of a committee? I didn't quite get the significance of that.

My guess is that it was something cut out of the main episode and put in the closing credits because they liked it. However, the context of the clip is lost.

Jaymole 04-03-06 09:30 AM

Loved the Soylent Green reference...I couldn't stop laughing!

Sagged a little in the second half, but the first half was great!

movieking 04-03-06 11:09 AM

Pretty good episode. The movie announcement was a letdown as it was all over the news on Friday and Saturday.

BassDude 04-03-06 11:38 AM

Found out my GF has never seen Soylent Green when I mentioned the reference. Will have ta watch with her.

Good stuff. Still good for at least one laugh-out-loud moment per show. (and many giggle/hmphs.) :)

j123vt_99 04-03-06 12:00 PM

Liked the callback with the Planet Hollywood jacket... Seemed like a random episode

Cusm 04-03-06 01:32 PM

Stealing pictures of Bert and Lucy.

NORML54601 04-03-06 04:26 PM

I thought it was supposed to be the witness area for HUAC back in Grandpa'a younger days. After setting up the equipment Grandpa started naming names of commies at which point the Senator cut him off and told him he was just there to fix the mics.

Cardiff Giant11 04-03-06 06:04 PM

I think my biggest laugh was Homer's scale model of the stadium and the mini model of tailgating. Homer's car was there as were Lenny, Carl, and himself and Homer was puking into a trashcan!