Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sons & Daughters - "Family Finance" and "Karaoke" - 03/21/2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sons & Daughters - "Family Finance" and "Karaoke" - 03/21/2006

I know I'm a little over a week late on this, but I'm just getting caught up with this show and was surprised there was no thread for last weeks eps. I thought ep5 was about the same as the first four, but IMO, the show reached a new level, a really good episode, with ep6.

"Family Finance"

Greg Pitts' scene in the hardware store was fantastic. Whitey is my favorite character on the show. His interaction with all the different family members feels the most genuine to me.

"Karaoke"

Big laughs and a great feel good ending. Jenna's boss going for the high-5 after she agreed to let him sit with her at the bar was hilarious. Also loved the scene with Don, Cameron, and Wendal sitting outside when Jeff comes to get a beer for his girlfriend. Damn, what a MILF.

Hope there are others still watching this. I think it's getting better. Now I need to watch the two eps from last night.
Old 03-29-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched for the first time last night. My brother says that the episodes are not gettin better for him, but I loved it. Love the whole unscripted feel of the show (I mean it is unscripted right?)
Old 03-29-06, 10:01 AM
Banned

It's kind of a hybrid. Not as unscripted as "CYE" but there is definitely some improvisation. If no one beats me to it, I'll start a thread for last night's eps after I watch them.
Old 03-29-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently this week may be the deciding factor in the shows future, according to Fred Goss.
Old 03-29-06, 11:14 AM

This show is NOT like Arrested Development. AD was a comedy with some drama mixed in.

Sons & Daughters is more like a dramedy. Sure there are some wacky characters,
Spoiler:
but as witnessed last night when Cameron's mom has a supposed heart attack. Even though the family is really dysfuntioncal, they really come together for her when she is in the hospital.

I wonder if we really need a thread every week. The show doesn't seem to be that popular (here and in Nielson ratings). We should just create an ongoing Sons and Daughters thread and hopefully the ratings will hold up so that ABC will renew the show for next year. There are enough good characters on the show to keep this going for a couple of years.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 03-29-06 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
It's kind of a hybrid. Not as unscripted as "CYE" but there is definitely some improvisation. If no one beats me to it, I'll start a thread for last night's eps after I watch them.

I'd assume they do various takes and then edit out the stuff they don't use. I've noticed a few scenes where you could see the cuts between jokes and what not.
Old 03-29-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love this show. I hope it stays. I think all the characters are great.

Does anyone else think Cameron looks like a hybrid of Conan O'Brien and Steve Carell? And Liz looks like a much prettier version of Debra Messing, small boobs and all.
Old 03-29-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, if you check on the IMDB message board for Sons & Daughters, Fred Goss actually posts on there. I think it's the real Fred Goss.
Old 03-29-06, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
This show is NOT like Arrested Development. AD was a comedy with some drama mixed in.

Sons & Daughters is more like a dramedy. Sure there are some wacky characters, but as witnessed last night when ...
Chris

Do you think it would be possible to try not to spoil last night's episodes for those of us that haven't seen them yet? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SonOfAStu; 03-29-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 01:52 PM

Do you think it would be possible to try not to spoil last night's episodes for those of us that haven't seen them yet? Thanks in advance.
You are right. I'm sorry, I will spoilerize it.

Chris

edited to add: but you may want to spoilerize that part of the quote!
Old 03-29-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't worry. She gets the heart attack within the first few minutes of the episode.

Spoiler:
"Have you ever had a aunt hate you for life because you made her son deaf?"

Spoiler:
"How's your vagina?"
Old 03-29-06, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
You are right. I'm sorry, I will spoilerize it.

Chris

edited to add: but you may want to spoilerize that part of the quote!

D'oh!

Done.
Old 03-29-06, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I love this show. I hope it stays. I think all the characters are great.

Does anyone else think Cameron looks like a hybrid of Conan O'Brien and Steve Carell? And Liz looks like a much prettier version of Debra Messing, small boobs and all.
I kinda thought she looked like a way hotter, less annoying and less wrinkled version of Ellen Pompeo the first time I tuned into this show. I love it as well, I hope it survives. The family's whole interaction is hilarious and sort of reminds me of my own clan (from my mom's side alone there are 45 of us, not counting extended family. ) Oh, and now looking at it, Cameron does look like a hybrid of those two actually.

On a different note, does anyone know who sings the opening music, it seems very familiar.

Last edited by gatoinfeliz; 03-29-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great Show. I am hooked.
Old 03-29-06, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Don't worry. She gets the heart attack within the first few minutes of the episode.

Spoiler:
"Have you ever had a aunt hate you for life because you made her son deaf?"

Spoiler:
"How's your vagina?"
It's
Spoiler:
Angina

Chris
Old 03-29-06, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
I kinda thought she looked like a way hotter, less annoying and less wrinkled version of Ellen Pompeo the first time I tuned into this show. I love it as well, I hope it survives. The family's whole interaction is hilarious and sort of reminds me of my own clan (from my mom's side alone there are 45 of us, not counting extended family. ) Oh, and now looking at it, Cameron does look like a hybrid of those two actually.

On a different note, does anyone know who sings the opening music, it seems very familiar.

Cheap Trick - Surrender <--Amazon sample clip
Old 03-29-06, 02:58 PM

I like the show a lot. I just hope it stays on for a while.
Old 03-29-06, 03:11 PM

Cheap Trick - Surrender <--Amazon sample clip
Was that the song he was talking about?

Who doesn't know that song?

Chris
Old 03-29-06, 03:13 PM

Just watching the 8th episode. Does anyone else like BLTs ?
Old 03-29-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't get enough of 'em.

I'm trying to like this show, but it doesn't quite do it for me. The improv bits sound forced, occaisionally funny, but the writing sets them up too obviously.
However, I come from a large extended family and can easily relate to the sibling dynamics. Ironic how AD was accused of having unlikeable characters, and this show does, and isn't half as funny. I guess funny is funny.
Old 03-30-06, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz

Holy crap! I was just on the imdb page for the show to see who played Liz (Gillian Vigman) and no wonder she seemed familiar (besides being a hotter looking Ellen Pompeo). She was the chick who delivered that funny line in The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Are you fucking retarded?

Funny to think when I first saw the movie, I said to my friend isn't she the girl from Grey's Anatomy.
Old 04-09-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just discovered this show and I really like it as of yet. I hope it stays.

As far as the hot wife is concerned, I think she looks like a mix between Debra Messing and JULIE BOWEN.
Old 04-09-06, 11:26 PM

I actually don't like the "Surrender" song that plays during the opening credits, I don't think it fits the mood of the show at all. I love the little "theme" music that opens up every episode, though.

I thought I would hate this show but have grown to really love it. I love all the characters (which is saying a lot when there is over a dozen). The most recent episode with Cameron's real dad coming back was so sad, and yet so funny! His sister is awesome

Is Jenna supposed to be Wendel's daughter?
Old 04-10-06, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I actually don't like the "Surrender" song that plays during the opening credits, I don't think it fits the mood of the show at all. I love the little "theme" music that opens up every episode, though.

I thought I would hate this show but have grown to really love it. I love all the characters (which is saying a lot when there is over a dozen). The most recent episode with Cameron's real dad coming back was so sad, and yet so funny! His sister is awesome

Is Jenna supposed to be Wendel's daughter?
I also enjoyed these past two episodes, the party one being my favorite. Jenna and Liz playing the drinking game in the old people party was funny. "In the old days we called it the J-spot".
Old 04-10-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you guys see the thong shot? When Liz is brushing her teeth, she bends over to spit over the sink and you could see a peek of her thong. It was purple to match with her shirt! She matched her underwear with her top.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.