TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TimeWarner Cable talks Hits channel (instant reruns) with networks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TimeWarner Cable talks Hits channel (instant reruns) with networks

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060327/...rner_reruns_dc

14 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc.'s (NYSE:TWX - news) Time Warner Cable said on Monday it is in talks with the four big U.S. television networks to create a "Hits channel" that would let viewers watch instant reruns of the most popular TV programs.

The company is in high-level discussions with the production units of ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox (NYSE:NWS - news) about offering viewers on-demand access to hit shows that they may have missed on their first run, said Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad.

These top-rated shows would be available on the proposed Hits channel immediately after their first broadcast or the day after, he said. He declined to confirm a report in the New York Times that said the monthly subscription fee for access to 20 top-ranked programs would be around $10.

"It's just another outlet for customers to do time-shifting," Harrad said. "It wouldn't necessarily substitute for and could complement DVRs (digital video recorders)."

The proposed new service would be separate from Time Warner's "Start Over" trial in Columbia, South Carolina. Start Over allows viewers who miss part of a live program to start from the beginning if the show is still in progress.

Harrad said the cable company was trying to generate new revenue streams, comparing the initiative to Comcast Corp.'s (Nasdaq:CMCSA - news) deal with CBS Corp. (NYSE:CBS - news) and NBC's (NYSE:GE - news) with DirecTV (NYSETV - news) to give viewers access to several prime-time shows on a next-day, on-demand basis.

Chris
Old 03-27-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pay $10 a month for this or $5 for a DVR that creates your own "hits channel". Hmmmmm.
Old 03-27-06, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Pay $10 a month for this or $5 for a DVR that creates your own "hits channel". Hmmmmm.

But a DVR doesn't give you a 'second chance' if you forget to program it, power goes out or you just didn't know that you wanted to see the program.

But, DVRz are great! And since I manually program mine (I don't have TIVO anymore), it's free for me!

Chris
Old 03-27-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be good if:
1. The episodes are provided in high-definition.
2. There is an option for a per-episode payperview price as opposed to $10 a month. That's just silly.